Regular?

Team Canary

We have a series of Events near home that are bi-monthly, I thought that’s probably not too regular. 

Then we had a series that is the last Saturday of each month. In my mind that wasn’t quite in the spirit of the rules. 

But now there are weekly Events!?!

is there a definition of regular? Or has this been removed from the guidelines?

I can’t recall any reference to “regular” being mentioned in the Guidelines. The term, “event stacking” was introduced in the lexicon of phrases about the time large Events like Mega and Giga Events started to appear. Prior to that, I can recall a small number of instances of a chain of Events on the same day, which basically amounted to a Chinese fire drill type atmosphere and very little socializing going on. 

• Upvote 1

Events can be hosted on a frequent basis. That's been true for as long as I've been reviewing, ie 13 years. There's never been a restriction on "less than one a week in a given area". Only one per day or one per weekend, in a given area might have been enforced in 2003. When I started caching (2003) the guidelines for events:

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a day-long group cache hunt that also involves a seminar and dinner, only a single event cache covering all components should be submitted.

Under this rule, when GeoWoodstock III - Nefga Style! GCKAPA was hosted in Florida, they were only allowed a single listing for the weekend. No Thursday, Friday, Sunday or Monday events were published.  Seems very odd now....

In 2007, there was a change on this:

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a full weekend event that includes a geocoin trading session, a seminar and a potluck dinner, multiple event listings may be submitted if they each stand on their own merits as events meeting the listing guidelines.

In 2014, the event guideline changed, removing the "multiple listings" language and adding the stacking section. Similar to what's in place now -> event guideline.

Many events for Dec 31, and jan 1.  There's a souvenir for finding a cache or attending an event on those days.   Some find it easiest to attend an event, (and some think the souvenir is for event attendance only; this happens every time there's a souvenir. Nothing from GeocachingHQ makes that statement. )

Some time and distance limits are applied, such that activities that are really all part of one gathering, intended for the same group of people are not published as separate event pages ->  event stacking section of the guidelines

There are specific restrictions for posting events near  (that might compete with) Mega and Giga events.  

Of late, there have been some restrictions on  posting of events while traveling;  too many events posted where nobody, or host only,  comes. Help Center article on this - vacation geocaching event

"regular" on Geocaching.com is a container size, " ...1 to 20 liters. They’re about the size of a shoebox".

Edited by palmetto
  • Upvote 1

I don't believe I ever saw "regular"  on events. 

I see it similar to palmetto, but we show folks 30 or 50cal ammo cans as an explanation (hoping for a better container than large coffee cans or pretzel containers).  :)

We've attended a few "same day each month" events, and found that they were often the same people talking about the same things.

-  Got to when I attended one, I don't even log it anymore.  I have morning/lunch meetings with some of the same people not caching...

A weekly I probably would just ignore altogether.     Can't recall any organizations I belong that have weekly meetings.

On 12/24/2018 at 9:15 PM, cerberus1 said:

A weekly I probably would just ignore altogether.     Can't recall any organizations I belong that have weekly meetings.

I can think of plenty of organizations that have weekly meetings: the church, and that seems to be doing quite well in terms of longevity and numbers.

In my small country, after you have found all the geocaches, events are all that are left. We tend to meet up once or twice a month, but some months have had several events in them, often with different hosts, different locations, different activities, ranging from beach BBQ,  kayaking, CITO, GIFF showings. Sometimes it’s the same few people, sometimes there will be several new people.

my argument for events would be in some areas of the world, without events, and only a few geocachers living in the area that can place caches, geocaching would quickly run dry and be a solitary affair. We have had several service personnel that are based for 6 months or a year or two that have become very good friends and have met only through events. 

I think it really does depend on the geocachers, the location, and the overall purpose of events.

• Upvote 1