How can the needs maintenance spanner be removed

little-leggs

first thing the cache is NOT mine ?

I visited a locale (ish) cache this week which is sporting a needs maintenance red spanner , 

* the CO hasn't logged in for years , I.m assuming they no longer play the game  

* the cache is 100% fine , its dry , its in a good click lock pot , there's lots of room left in the log 

the NM log was written by a new cacher , thinking it was missing as they were unable to locate the cache .

question is -

how can the NM spanner be removed 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, little-leggs said:

I visited a locale (ish) cache this week which is sporting a needs maintenance red spanner , 

* the cache is 100% fine , its dry , its in a good click lock pot , there's lots of room left in the log 

the NM log was written by a new cacher , thinking it was missing as they were unable to locate the cache .

question is -

It can only be removed by the CO.

• Surprised 1
1 hour ago, little-leggs said:

question is -

I have the same frustration with a cache I am watching for an old friend (who seems to have dropped off the grid). Even though I maintain the cache frequently and very very quickly if there is ever an issue, I cannot remove the NM red wrench from the cache listing. Ever.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I have the same frustration with a cache I am watching for an old friend (who seems to have dropped off the grid).

Even though I maintain the cache frequently and very very quickly if there is ever an issue, I cannot remove the NM red wrench from the cache listing. Ever.

And that's a good thing.   Imagine the ones who live to take advantage, reminding people they can fix it.    :)

We had one like that...   

One was going through divorce.  Both split the area.  Neither wanted to participate in the hobby anymore, and didn't tell us.

Removed from watch after hearing that from an in-law.  I 'm more than happy to help a friend in need, but screw me over and I'm done. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, little-leggs said:

question is -

Is there a way we / I can apply to Ground Speak , to have them look at the cache in question , and may be remove it for us ...... 

or is this something a reviewer could look at ,

seem to be an over sight , which with all the posh modifications which keep happening to the sit , might be worth bringing to the table 

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I have the same frustration with a cache I am watching for an old friend (who seems to have dropped off the grid). Even though I maintain the cache frequently and very very quickly if there is ever an issue, I cannot remove the NM red wrench from the cache listing. Ever.

Presumably you are unable to contact your friend otherwise you would have adopted it and, having done so,  remove the red spanner.

• Love 1

could anyone , offer up a solution 
from 
Ground Speak 

as it would seem that this rule is antiquated and backward , 

* the cache is in good order 
there's not a string of DNF's 
its there and cacher's are finding it ,,,,,  

is it just me that thinks this is a silly rule  as it would seem we all maintain  random cache's which don't belong to us , as par of keeping the game good and worth playing , the red spanner is sending out the wrong message 

on a side thought to ( needs Maintenance ) logs 

what are your thoughts of having the (NM) log at the top of the log list so it can be read ? 
as the log in question is un-necessary , left by a beginner , who didn't know better , as they should have written a DNF log ,,,, or looked harder ?

should this thread be moved to a different heading to be read by more ? 

2 hours ago, little-leggs said:

what are your thoughts of having the (NM) log at the top of the log list so it can be read ? 
as the log in question is un-necessary , left by a beginner , who didn't know better , as they should have written a DNF log ,,,, or looked harder ?

The red wrench will probably come up in searches.

- But I figure most realize this is simply a part of a cache's history, when the CO is no longer around to fix it.

Did you write "the cache is 100% fine, and dry" in your log ?   Someone seeing your log after the NM may take the chance ...

As just a finder of another person's cache,  (I believe) that's all most would want you to do.    :)

On 12/23/2018 at 5:02 PM, colleda said:

Presumably you are unable to contact your friend otherwise you would have adopted it and, having done so,  remove the red spanner.

I have tried many many times over the years. He appears to not be caching for a long time now and likely isn't even getting the messages.

I just keep doing what I promised; maintaining the cache. 

On 12/23/2018 at 3:08 PM, cerberus1 said:

And that's a good thing.   Imagine the ones who live to take advantage, reminding people they can fix it.    :)

We had one like that...   

One was going through divorce.  Both split the area.  Neither wanted to participate in the hobby anymore, and didn't tell us.

Removed from watch after hearing that from an in-law.  I 'm more than happy to help a friend in need, but screw me over and I'm done. 

I'm very close to placing a NA and putting my own cache there. I've been abundantly patient and have frequently performed maintenance for years.  Maybe I'll wait till the next issue arises, then do  nothing to help out. Hmmmmm.

22 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm very close to placing a NA and putting my own cache there. I've been abundantly patient and have frequently performed maintenance for years.  Maybe I'll wait till the next issue arises, then do  nothing to help out. Hmmmmm.

I think that would be your next step but the reviewerl, notifying the CO then archiving due to lack of response, could present a problem as the cache has no maintenance issues (except for the absent CO) due to your diligence. Maybe it's a matter of letting nature take its course.

21 minutes ago, colleda said:

I think that would be your next step but the reviewerl, notifying the CO then archiving due to lack of response, could present a problem as the cache has no maintenance issues (except for the absent CO) due to your diligence. Maybe it's a matter of letting nature take its course.

I thought of that right after I posted, and agree with you.  I plan to let nature take its course! 

Thanks for pointing that out.

9 hours ago, little-leggs said:

could anyone , offer up a solution 
from 
Ground Speak 

[Not from Groundspeak!]

1. Offer to adopt the cache.

2. Push to get the cache archived and place another - possibly as a tribute, linking to the original cache’s page.

Unfortunately, if a cache owner is no longer interested in maintaining their cache, anything you can do to help it limp along is only prolonging its eventual demise.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Assuming someone else knows you've been maintaining that hide for another, wouldn't that look like a brat thing to do ?

Doing nothing (it's not yours...) is probably your best option if you kinda give up. 

I removed a couple from watch so I didn't get notifications of them slowly degrading, and wasn't tempted to think, "well, maybe just one more time ..."   :D

• Love 1
On 12/25/2018 at 10:50 AM, IceColdUK said:

[Not from Groundspeak!]

2. Push to get the cache archived and place another - possibly as a tribute, linking to the original cache’s page.

Unfortunately, if a cache owner is no longer interested in maintaining their cache, anything you can do to help it limp along is only prolonging its eventual demise.

if the CO no longer plays , I can adopt ?

and the cache falls out side of my , reasonable distance from my Daily route , in other word to far out of my way to maintain it . 

On 12/25/2018 at 10:50 AM, IceColdUK said:

[Not from Groundspeak!]

so why can't an official / representative of ground speak , okay I'll say it The Locale Reviewer , remove the red spanner .....  

• Upvote 1
On 12/25/2018 at 8:47 PM, cerberus1 said:

Assuming someone else knows you've been maintaining that hide for another, wouldn't that look like a brat thing to do ?

Doing nothing (it's not yours...) is probably your best option if you kinda give up. 

I removed a couple from watch so I didn't get notifications of them slowly degrading, and wasn't tempted to think, "well, maybe just one more time ..."   :D

still seems to be a backward way of doing things 

• Upvote 1