Garmin 64st Waypoint distance problems

ScoutrP

Just wondering if this is something that someone has seen before?

I set up a "new" waypoint in my 64st (same as I have done hundreds of times before).

When I select the waypoint to navigate to it there is no distance on the Compass screen.  This only applies to waypoints that I have set up in the past few months, previous ones are all still normal. 

I reviewed the point and all seems ok, coordinates and distances are perfect.  Then I noticed that when I select the waypoint from the list, the next screen is the map screen where you then select "GO" to start navigating to the waypoint.  I then noticed at  the top of the screen shows that I am over 7000km away from the waypoint on the map screen.  Oddly when I go in to edit the point or select it from the list of waypoints the distance is perfect.  

Obviously there must be a setting somewhere that has gotten my newer waypoints messed up but I just can't seem to find where I have went wrong.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

11 hours ago, capt caper said:

Try setting the routing settings in the settings menu under navigation to direct no road or bike etc.  This happened to our Oregon 700

It already is set to Direct Routing.  So that's not it..  It's really odd because when I set up the waypoint everything is perfect.  When I select the waypoint from the list to navigate to it the map shows that I am over 7000 km away, and it looks like from the Null Island location noted by Atlas Cached.  This is frustrating because it pretty much renders my GPS useless for waypoint navigation.

Edited by ScoutrP
update
1 hour ago, 39_Steps said:

The final post on Page 1 of a very recently closed thread on Basecamp routing could explain this behavior from the referenced location, depending on selected map, IMHO.

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/mac-windows-software/windows-software/basecamp-aa/1436241-basecamp-thinks-i-don-t-have-a-map-installed-on-the-device-when-i-do

Thanks, but this seems to be referring to the Direct Routing setting as well (unless I missread it).  My GPS is already set on that.  

Update, tried all the setting adjustments suggested in that post

"On the device the routing settings are: calculation method: minizmize distance, lock on road: no (it's also the same, if I set this to yes), off route recalculataion: off, only ferries set to avoid (it's also the same, if I select nothing to avoid)."

Still no luck

Edited by ScoutrP
update
3 hours ago, ScoutrP said:

Yes I am, does that make a difference?  

No, it indicates a memory leak or code error in the units firmware. I frequently see the same behavior in my brand new GPSMAP 66 unit, which suggests the issue is with some shared code both units use. All waypoints in the waypoint manager as well as when displayed in the info screen on the map page will show their distance from the GPSr current location, as well as bearing. For some unknown reason, the software making this calculation is intermittently unable to get current location information and the calculation subsequently uses the coordinates 0.0 0.0 (Null Island), giving you the erroneous numbers you observed. This will occur even when the GPSr has many satellite signals available and is fully aware of its current location, and a quick jump to the satellite page will confirm. Sometimes exiting back to the main menu and trying again will resolve the issue, sometimes a unit reboot is required to resolve the issue.

Hopefully, the Garmin Software engineers resolve this issue soon, and I suspect when they do, we will see simultaneous updates for all GPSMAP series units, and possibly some other series as well.

It already is set to Direct Routing.  So that's not it..  It's really odd because when I set up the waypoint everything is perfect.  When I select the waypoint from the list to navigate to it the map shows that I am over 7000 km away, and it looks like from the Null Island location noted by Atlas Cached.  This is frustrating because it pretty much renders my GPS useless for waypoint navigation.

When you say you 'set up a waypoint', can you tell me exactly what process you are using to create the waypoint?

17 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

When you say you 'set up a waypoint', can you tell me exactly what process you are using to create the waypoint? 

If the OP is using Basecamp they might want to look here, I stumbled across this yesterday while searching for something else.

2 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

I use the same method I have always used when setting up a waypoint.  I use the "Mark" button to bring up my current location and then edit the coordinates for the location I need.  This has always worked flawlessly in the past for all my waypoints.

I have tried your ideas of exiting back to the main screen, and rebooting the unit, neither of which have worked. 

I have an existing waypoint for my Home location which is dead on perfect.  Just yesterday I created another one for Home, it shows perfectly on the list of waypoints but when I select it, it shows that I am over 7000km away from home, obviously it is referencing NULL Island as where I am starting from.

With my 64s, your location issues can be replicated in Demo mode. If you are not somehow stuck in Demo mode with external power always on, a major reset may be in order however. Perhaps the battery charger circuitry and switch could contribute to the Null location crash.

For those unfamiliar with Demo Mode, it basically disables the use of GPS or GPS+Glonass live coordinating locating feature and turns the device into a static map. Demo Mode allows the user to easily move the focus point of the map to a different set of coordinates anywhere on the globe, even while moving. This feature may permit a user to MOVE FOCUS OFF OF NULL ISLAND if the device has no other serious firmware glitches. 

As to Garmin's Basecamp mapping app, if you are unfamiliar with it try to get the handheld device working properly before trying to use it. Good luck.

Edited by 39_Steps
Embelished comments on Demo Mode
2 hours ago, ScoutrP said:

I use the same method I have always used when setting up a waypoint.  I use the "Mark" button to bring up my current location and then edit the coordinates for the location I need.  This has always worked flawlessly in the past for all my waypoints.

I have tried your ideas of exiting back to the main screen, and rebooting the unit, neither of which have worked. 

I have an existing waypoint for my Home location which is dead on perfect.  Just yesterday I created another one for Home, it shows perfectly on the list of waypoints but when I select it, it shows that I am over 7000km away from home, obviously it is referencing NULL Island as where I am starting from.

This is excellent information. I will see if I can duplicate this later tonight and report back. Thank You!

BTW, which firmware version is your GPSMAP 64 running?

Edited by Atlas Cached
13 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

They are confused. BaseCamp does not even enter into the equation with the issue you are having....

One of the confused here is in agreement. I did go back to edit out some previous comments and to suggest that use of DEMO MODE (GPS satellites disabled on device(s)) may enable the OP and others to move off of 0,0 coordinates on "Null Island.

15 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

This is excellent information. I will see if I can duplicate this later tonight and report back. Thank You!

BTW, which firmware version is your GPSMAP 64 running?

My 64st is running version 5.10.  That is the latest version according to the website

4 hours ago, 39_Steps said:

One of the confused here is in agreement. I did go back to edit out some previous comments and to suggest that use of DEMO MODE (GPS satellites disabled on device(s)) may enable the OP and others to move off of 0,0 coordinates on "Null Island.

No luck by changing to DEMO MODE to fix the issue.  When I switched back, issues was still there.

Issue solved, thanks to Atlas Cached.

Had to move the firmware back from Version 5.1 back to version 5.0.  This seemed to fix the issue of new waypoints not getting referenced off the NULL Island point.  It didn't fix any waypoints that were already messed up but that's ok, I deleted them and redid them with a new name and they seem to be ok.

I also tested this with a couple new waypoints today while out for a hike and things seem to be back to normal again, everything worked fine.

So from this I can only assume that there is a glitch in the version 5.10 firmware.  Any old waypoints (before I upgraded the firmware) are acting normal, and the new waypoints (after I rolled back the firmware) are acting normally.  The ones in between that were set up with the version 5.1 firmware didn't (and still don't) work correctly.  Even when I edited them they were still incorrect.  Only when I deleted them and set them up with a new name did they operate properly. 

Once again, Thanks to Atlas Cached for all the help.

When I unboxed my new Map 64s almost two years ago I made no attempt to update the firmware. Yesterday I updated the firmware to version 5.1 in spite of the above perceived issues with that version. The device has not exhibited 0,0 coordinate shift issues so far in very limited waypoint coordinate saving tests.

Is there a way to reproduce this with a 64st on fw 5.10 if I’m in Australia?

I’d guess that either the GPS or destination coords aren’t being sent to the distance function.

The distance calculation itself is pretty benign stuff

// calculate haversine distance in Km
float getdistance(double lat1, double long1) {
double lat2 = gpslat;
double long2 = gpslon;
double dlong = (long2 - long1) * d2r;
double dlat = (lat2 - lat1) * d2r;
double a = pow(sin(dlat/2.0), 2) + cos(lat1*d2r) * cos(lat2*d2r) * pow(sin(dlong/2.0), 2);
double c = 2 * atan2(sqrt(a), sqrt(1-a));
float distf = 6367 * c;
return(distf);
}