What the heck!

Luckless

I don't remember having to put stages for a cache 528 feet from each other. I believe I used to only have to keep caches that far apart from other caches. Now it says I have to put stages that far apart as well. When did this change or didn't it? Might as well skip stages all together and just make caches. Guess I can just forget the multi I'm working on. I spent yesterday working on placing stages in a small enough area where a group of people could wander around and spot the hidden hints as well putting the coordinates in their GPS to where they were located. 528 feet apart is an awful large area to have to cover when you have 11 stages.

Edited by Luckless

As long as I've been doing this game (7 years) the 528'/161m rule has applied except for virtual stages where information can be had from a sign or similar to be used to calculate a coordinate.

As for multis, some people like them some don't, prefering one smiley per find.

Edited by colleda
punctuation
3 hours ago, Luckless said:

I don't remember having to put stages for a cache 528 feet from each other. I believe I used to only have to keep caches that far apart from other caches. Now it says I have to put stages that far apart as well. When did this change or didn't it? Might as well skip stages all together and just make caches. Guess I can just forget the multi I'm working on. I spent yesterday working on placing stages in a small enough area where a group of people could wander around and spot the hidden hints as well putting the coordinates in their GPS to where they were located. 528 feet apart is an awful large area to have to cover when you have 11 stages.

Looking at your recently Archived submission, it looks like Stages 1-9 are too close to an existing Traditional cache (kind of looks like you basically made a circle around the Traditional).   Like others have mentioned, you can have the Stages within your submission as close as you like, but all your Stages must be at least 528 feet from existing caches.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Luckless said:

Nomax, I can't think  of any that might be in the middle of the area  where I placed the caches although it might be too close to Tundra Wolf's  cache. Hmm I'll have to check. Being on the opposite side of the road it didn't seem so.

That is correct.  All but one of your Stages is less than 300 feet from TW's nearby Traditional.  If you're pretty sure about where you were at the time, with respect to nearby caches, I'd suggest taking a look at your Stages and double check that the coordinates were entered correctly.

• Upvote 1

Yup that was it. It was too close to another cache. Oh darn. It was on the opposite side of the road, but still too close.
Interesting, I used the new mapping system to see how close my coordinates were to other caches. With the old system I could type in the coordinates of one of my caches and  it would tell me how close to any other caches (but not any hidden stages of those caches) those coordinates were. This new system doesn't do that. The old system says one of my stages is 178 feet from Tundra Wolf's cache, Wolfsbane.  Wow, one more reason not to like the new mapping system, but then I wonder if the new mapping system is designed more for  smart phone use. Does any one know if there is a way to use the new system and learn distance to other caches?

Since you have to be in the field to get the coordinates for your caches, simply start navigating to the nearest existing cache. It will tell you how far you are from the nearby cache just as it would if you were actually trying to find it.  As you move to each of you locations you will instantly know if you are clear of traditional caches.  Good luck and don’t give up on your idea. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

arisoft,

I had a problem checking the map. The stage coordinates didn't show up as too close when I typed them in. Nothing showed up until I typed in all 11 stages. It wasn't until I typed in the final coords that they then all said I was too close. Then I came here:)  Being new to the new system I thought maybe the problem was that I couldn't place my physical stages so close together, not that I was too close to another cache. Maybe I need to start with the final coords first so I don't have to do all that typing?

Edited by Luckless

arisoft,

a weakness of the edit form is that the map is generally going to be above the scroll line as a cacher is adding or editing  tages.  There is  text offered under the waypoint as it's entered (this may be browser dependent, I see it, Firefox,  but I'm looking for it): 

GCCode is within X  ft   of your waypoint. Minimum acceptable distance is 528 ft ...

but it's an easy thing to miss, and the map is not in view.

Once you hit "save" your view is ABOVE the map and the error messaging.  If you hit save and view, that map doesn't exist on the cache page at all...

• Helpful 1
46 minutes ago, Luckless said:

Maybe I need to start with the final coords first so I don't have to do all that typing?

It doesn't help if your waypoints are too near to another cache. On my edit page the map displays the waypoints in real time. Do you see the map and all your waypoints and caches nearby?

If I know I"m considering using an area that already has a cache nearby, I'll mark the coordinates as a waypoint and save it and then every time I find a spot I'd like to consider using for a stage I then select the waypoint on the map and see how far away it is.  That way, I always have it to refer back to.

• Upvote 1