Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5
AZClaimjumper

The NEW Map

Recommended Posts

I like it because it is now simple/easy to send a geocache directly into my GPS.ūüėĬ†

I have a MAC & with the old system I first had to

  1. download a GPX file into my computer
  2. open the file & move it into BaseCamp
  3. drag the file from BaseCamp into my GPS

With the new map, I recommend you change the terminology from:

  1. Send to Garmin, to;
  2. Send to GPS
Edited by AZClaimjumper
change some text formatting

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, AZClaimjumper said:

I like it because it is now simple/easy to send a geocache directly into my GPS.ūüėĬ†

I have a MAC & with the old system I first had to

  1. download a GPX file into my computer
  2. open the file & move it into BaseCamp
  3. drag the file from BaseCamp into my GPS

With the new map, I recommend you change the terminology from:

  1. Send to Garmin, to;
  2. Send to GPS

 

Since the "send to GPS" only works for Garmin GPS units, there is no difference, except that the latter option lends confusion to those of us who do not use Garmin products.

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I had presumed that the link worked for ALL GPS's, not just those made my Garmin.  Thanks for straightening me out. 

Share this post


Link to post

I combine caching with biking and use the current map(s) to easily find bike trails that have caches on them. The "new" map does not display bike trails nor does it display topographical information, both of which we use to plan our caching trips. Google maps may be good enough to get you from point A to point B but a poor choice for geocaching as it is way too limited. Your improvements to geocaching sometimes fall short, this "improvement" is one of them. I hope Google paid you well to be the sole map provider to Geocaching.com.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

The motto of "Make Better Mistakes Tomorrow" seem to have set its sights on the usability of the one thing that works - the old map.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jswtc said:

I combine caching with biking and use the current map(s) to easily find bike trails that have caches on them. The "new" map does not display bike trails nor does it display topographical information, both of which we use to plan our caching trips. Google maps may be good enough to get you from point A to point B but a poor choice for geocaching as it is way too limited. Your improvements to geocaching sometimes fall short, this "improvement" is one of them. I hope Google paid you well to be the sole map provider to Geocaching.com.

 

This Release Notes thread would be the better place for your comments about the new map/search feature:   Release Notes (Website: new Search/Map) - January 17, 2019

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh goodie.  I was just thinking to myself that we hadn't had any "Change is bad" arguments lately.

Share this post


Link to post

Geoart is not so artistic with the new map.

Both screenshots have the same centerpoint on the map at the same zoom level.

 

RR GeoArt Map Zoom 11 New.png

RR GeoArt Map Zoom 11 Old.png

  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Again, because it's a search map, not a browse map. That concept issue is being addressed in the latest release thread.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Again, because it's a search map, not a browse map. That concept issue is being addressed in the latest release thread.

 

I just saw that thread. WHEW!! Thanks to your explanation there, I have a better understanding of the New/Old map issue and its differences.  It seems that the Old map will stay as it has been, and the new one is just for Search.

I wish they had explained that better a few months ago when this update was rolled out in beta testing.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, J Grouchy said:

Oh goodie.  I was just thinking to myself that we hadn't had any "Change is bad" arguments lately.

 

Oh goodie.  I was just thinking we hadn't had any "I'm better than everyone else" posts lately.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, fizzymagic said:

 

Oh goodie.  I was just thinking we hadn't had any "I'm better than everyone else" posts lately.

 

Well THAT'S a leap...and a completely uncalled for personal attack against me specifically.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5

×