Should events not associated with geocaching.com use the terms "geocache" and "geocaching?" A local organization has published coordinates for public art installations and is calling it "a geocache adventure."

conejo rojo

A local organization has published coordinates for public art installations, asked people to share instagrams when they find them,  and is calling it "a geocache adventure."  Another organization is planning a geocaching event and has asked me, as a geocacher, to help - but isn't sure it wants all the caches to be permanent, as they want to place some easy ones close to parking for families with small children - too easy to be left in place, because they'd probably get muggled.

What are your thoughts on these situations?

We used to belong to five geocaching organizations (only two now).  Which geocaching site do you feel that an "adventure" might be an issue ?

You don't say who/what the organization is.  If no one there is a cacher, nice you're helping.  You may be busy.   :)

Temp caches as an introduction to the hobby are easy to place, no proximity issues, and can be picked up n carted off at the end of the day.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, conejo rojo said:

A local organization has published coordinates for public art installations, asked people to share instagrams when they find them,  and is calling it "a geocache adventure."  Another organization is planning a geocaching event and has asked me, as a geocacher, to help - but isn't sure it wants all the caches to be permanent, as they want to place some easy ones close to parking for families with small children - too easy to be left in place, because they'd probably get muggled.

What are your thoughts on these situations?

I've placed lots of temporary geocaches for Parks and Rec classes. None of them would be officially published, just available at the class.

And like Nira D said....

The unfortunate part of this is that there may be some people who think that these temporary, placed-for-the-event things are what Geocaching is, and think that they can do the same if they then download the Geocaching app to start participating in this hobby.  Instagram (whatever the heck that is) is not a part of our hobby, as are many of the other things that the organization has placed for what they are calling a "Geocaching Event".

Good luck to the folks in that area.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, K13 said:

The unfortunate part of this is that there may be some people who think that these temporary, placed-for-the-event things are what Geocaching is, and think that they can do the same if they then download the Geocaching app to start participating in this hobby.  Instagram (whatever the heck that is) is not a part of our hobby, as are many of the other things that the organization has placed for what they are calling a "Geocaching Event".

Good luck to the folks in that area.

Good point!

Thanks for your thoughts. . And in the meantime, I could certainly create one or more multicaches based on it. And as for the other event, I will relax and help plan without feeling guilty. I have already told them that I would be willing to assume maintenance of any caches that they decide to keep. It's a nature area. 

It seems the organization with the art installations  doesn't know what geocaching as we know it is.

The temporary caches for the event with kids would be a great way to recruit new finders for your local caches, you could interest and teach the whole family at once.   Of course,  you would need to point out they wouldn't have to enter coordinates by hand all the time if the join Groundspeak.  (LOL).   Caches for the event that would not be permanent can be used as training,  then send them into the wild for the permanent placements if they are interested.   I would suggest publication of the permanent events happen after the event to ensure the cache is found as intended by the beginners. 

Florida state parks, which has an official geotour, refers to the activity on the individual park websites as "geo-seeking." Although in some cases this includes non-geocaching GPS games.

Finding containers using GPS coordinates is geocaching, regardless of where (or if) the caches are listed on the internet.