Annoying "captchas" in the built-in geochecker

baer2006

Hi,

the other day I solved a series of ~20 puzzle caches, where all listings had Groundspeak's "built-in" geochecker to verify the solution. The puzzles were not difficult, and I almost always got the right coordinates on the first try. But beginning after about 10 caches, the "I'm not a robot" checkbox came up with increasingly annoying tasks to complete. At the end, it took dozens of clicks on sometimes fuzzy photos (leading to one or two errors on my side, which further extended the procedure) to finally being accepted as a live human. Had the cache series been even longer, I would have thought about not using the checker any more, and using my solution unchecked. But this defeats the whole purpose of a geochecker (even with "simple" puzzles, one can make stupid errors or simply mistype the coordinates).

So, my question to GS developers is: Would it be possible to implement it in way that "green" checkers (i.e., when I entered the correct solution) do not "count" in the tries-over-time stat? I have no problem with captchas to block scripts (or cachers with too much time ;) ) which try to find solutions by brute force. But someone solving a longer series of puzzles shouldn't be hassled when they just enter one correct solution after the other.

Regards

baer2006

• Upvote 2

So far I've only seen the build-in checker on easy mysteries. That means I can skip checking anyway as it's obvious when the coordinates are correct. Since I use several "blockers" (ads, tracking) I do not see the "I'm not a robot" field but if I really need to check I use Chrome, just for that one check.

There are better ways to check if a user is human, just look at other checkers. Besides, I hate it when corrected coordinates are set automatically too. I'll keep them in GSAK, not on the website :ph34r:

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, baer2006 said:

Hi,

the other day I solved a series of ~20 puzzle caches, where all listings had Groundspeak's "built-in" geochecker to verify the solution. The puzzles were not difficult, and I almost always got the right coordinates on the first try. But beginning after about 10 caches, the "I'm not a robot" checkbox came up with increasingly annoying tasks to complete. At the end, it took dozens of clicks on sometimes fuzzy photos (leading to one or two errors on my side, which further extended the procedure) to finally being accepted as a live human. Had the cache series been even longer, I would have thought about not using the checker any more, and using my solution unchecked. But this defeats the whole purpose of a geochecker (even with "simple" puzzles, one can make stupid errors or simply mistype the coordinates).

So, my question to GS developers is: Would it be possible to implement it in way that "green" checkers (i.e., when I entered the correct solution) do not "count" in the tries-over-time stat? I have no problem with captchas to block scripts (or cachers with too much time ;) ) which try to find solutions by brute force. But someone solving a longer series of puzzles shouldn't be hassled when they just enter one correct solution after the other.

Regards

baer2006

I hear you. I was working on the Puerto Rico geoart the other night while watching TV, and I ended up spending so much time on page after page of images to prove I wasn't a robot.

• Upvote 1