Holiday/Theme Attribute

4FlyingRockets

Seems like it would be nice when requesting publication for a new cache, to be able to select an attribute that ties a cache to a theme or even specific holiday.  In my experience as a hider, and even as a finder, themes are pretty common and add a lot of fun to the game.  It would definitely take a lot of thought to figure out the right balance and nature of the attributes, and attribute groups, to include.

Having this type of attribute selection would allow, for instance around holidays, to have filters on a map during certain times of the year to identify related theme/holiday caches.  An enhancement like this would even allow for GC.com to apply default overlays during different times of the year highlighting caches that fit with seasons or themes, using special smiley graphics etc...

Having some updated types of attributes would actually create a lot of flexibility, and perhaps would be something to consider for down the road.

• Love 1

My biggest objection to this idea is; who's holiday list would we use? Geocaching is an international activity. I'll bet that there is at least one holiday a week somewhere on Earth.

In my area, there used to be a series of 'Christmas Caches' that were published each Dec 25th. The names were "Christmas Cache", and they included the year. Usually a tree hide, with a large clear ornament hung on the tree, containing swag.

1 hour ago, 4FlyingRockets said:

Seems like it would be nice when requesting publication for a new cache, to be able to select an attribute that ties a cache to a theme or even specific holiday.  In my experience as a hider, and even as a finder, themes are pretty common and add a lot of fun to the game.  It would definitely take a lot of thought to figure out the right balance and nature of the attributes, and attribute groups, to include.

Having this type of attribute selection would allow, for instance around holidays, to have filters on a map during certain times of the year to identify related theme/holiday caches.  An enhancement like this would even allow for GC.com to apply default overlays during different times of the year highlighting caches that fit with seasons or themes, using special smiley graphics etc...

Having some updated types of attributes would actually create a lot of flexibility, and perhaps would be something to consider for down the road.

Someone, somewhere, will find something about the holiday attribute offensive. 

• Funny 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Definitely. Many holidays are related to religions, and we all know how divisive religion can become.

There'd also need to be some decisions made regarding which holidays or themes are "good enough" to be included in this feature. Some of the big ones like Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, sure, I think we can agree those get in pretty easily. What about International Talk Like a Pirate Day? Probably not. In between, there are countless other "special" days of varying degree, and a line would need to be drawn through them somewhere. Cue the arguments about why this holiday made the cut and that one didn't...

I don't think the idea is necessarily a bad one, but I'm not sure it could be made to work very easily.

Are you thinking of a separate attribute for each holiday? That seems unwieldy. And what about other themes? Should there be another attribute for every movie franchise? For every professional sport? For every professional sports team?

Or are you thinking of a single "Holiday Theme" attribute that could be applied to any cache with a holiday theme, no matter what holiday? It doesn't seem like many people would find that useful.

On 12/21/2018 at 7:15 PM, The A-Team said:
On 12/21/2018 at 5:48 PM, Max and 99 said:

Definitely. Many holidays are related to religions, and we all know how divisive religion can become.

There'd also need to be some decisions made regarding which holidays or themes are "good enough" to be included in this feature. Some of the big ones like Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, sure, I think we can agree those get in pretty easily.

How about Festivus?  

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, Max and 99 said:

Yep. 

I was "scolded" in a bakery of all places, that I shouldn't be saying "Merry Christmas" anymore.

I explained a few bits of confusion on this,  why then does the government have it's offices closed since 1870,  and where she can go.    :)

• Upvote 3