Custom Geocaching Symbols for Garmin GPS

Mineral2

A recent thread gave me the idea to play with customizing symbols on my GPS. I have an Oregon 600 and an Oregon 450, both display geocaches with the same symbols - the same as the GPSMap 62 and 64 ... well all of the handheld GPS models since the Colorado (2008) until the Oregon 700 came out last year.

My issue with some of these symbols is that they can blend in with a busy topographic map. Meanwhile, Geocaching.com changed its symbols on the website and the app, and these new symbols (I think) come with the new Oregon 700 series and GPSMap 66 series.

So, I made a set of custom symbols that I am sharing with all of you in case any of you would also like to change the look of geocaches in your GPS. There's a set of large icons, small icons (because the large ones were too big for my taste), and a set of even smaller colored squares that the author of GPSrChive made available for use. Finally, for you Oregon 700 or GPSMap 66 users who are nostalgic for the older style icons that came with the previous generations of GPS, those icons are also available.

Download them at your own will and install them to the CustomSymbols folder on the GPS. You're welcome.

Old Symbols   and  GPSrChive.com square symbols

2000817194_OldSymbols.png.f041c64e3b428fa7b2f13ced2593dd10.pngGPSrChive.png.fe75334cc651bb48a71dc800310c68f7.png

Small circular symbols   and   Large circular symbols

Smaller.png.1f7ccbad3bd82255c0748701086e2643.pngLarger.png.373450b34aa80294db492c69d4c4ec19.png

Edited by Mineral2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 4
7 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

A recent thread gave me the idea to play with customizing symbols on my GPS. I have an Oregon 600 and an Oregon 450, both display geocaches with the same symbols - the same as the GPSMap 62 and 64 ... well all of the handheld GPS models since the Colorado (2008) until the Oregon 700 came out last year.

My issue with some of these symbols is that they can blend in with a busy topographic map. Meanwhile, Geocaching.com changed its symbols on the website and the app, and these new symbols (I think) come with the new Oregon 700 series and GPSMap 66 series.

So, I made a set of custom symbols that I am sharing with all of you in case any of you would also like to change the look of geocaches in your GPS. There's a set of large icons, small icons (because the large ones were too big for my taste), and a set of even smaller colored squares that the author of GPSrChive made available for use. Finally, for you Oregon 700 or GPSMap 66 users who are nostalgic for the older style icons that came with the previous generations of GPS, those icons are also available.

Download them at your own will and install them to the CustomSymbols folder on the GPS. You're welcome.

Old Symbols   and  GPSrChive.com square symbols

2000817194_OldSymbols.png.f041c64e3b428fa7b2f13ced2593dd10.pngGPSrChive.png.fe75334cc651bb48a71dc800310c68f7.png

Small circular symbols   and   Large circular symbols

Smaller.png.1f7ccbad3bd82255c0748701086e2643.pngLarger.png.373450b34aa80294db492c69d4c4ec19.png

Wow, how did you get them all to display on your GPSr like that?

Photoshop?

8^)

I made a list of one of every kind of geocache by symbol and edited the GPX file so that the coordinates were in a nice tight pattern. Then just disabled all of the maps on the GPS. It turned out to be easier that way than making dummy caches from a template and changing the symbols *And* coordinates.

Those are all straight screenshots from the GPS. Lots of plugging and unplugging and booting to show each of the sets. I had to set it up that way to easily make custom icons of the old icon set.

Edited by Mineral2
2 minutes ago, HHL said:

DNF is a status - not a cache type. Hence, no cache type icon available. ;-)

But there's a 'Geocache Found.bmp) file (happy face icon) which replaces any cache type found (which works a treat)... so I was thinking a DNF (sad face) would also be an icon to upload?

Just now, Boomshanka said:

But there's a 'Geocache Found.bmp) file (happy face icon) which replaces any cache type found (which works a treat)... so I was thinking a DNF (sad face) would also be an icon to upload?

No, a DNFed cache is still an unfound cache for you.

21 minutes ago, Boomshanka said:

The only thing I noticed (on a 66s using the large icons) is that an earthcache is shown as a virtual (I've uploaded all 12 icons, including the earthcache)... not sure why that is? Also, do you have a DNF (blue sad face) icon?

Do you have a screen capture showing this? Virtual caches and Earthcaches show properly on my 66.

The GPSrChive custom symbol sets include a DNF symbol (see Uber User > Custom Symbols), but as HHL points out, it is a status, and the Garmin GPSr will not show it for DNF by default. You can use the GSAK Garmin Export Macro to export all your DNF as POI using the custom symbol you desire and that will place the blue sad face over the default cache icon for your DNF's.

Edited by Atlas Cached

Ah, I think I was confusing the DNF symbol on the Geocaching.com maps and wrongly thinking the same would happen on the GPS, sorry about that.  I've added a screenshot of earthcaches showing as virtuals this one is gc680r9 in Portsmouth.

Screenshot_20190102-143240_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Boomshanka
Autocorrect corrections!

Hmmm... I've just deleted the larger virtual icon from the CustomSymbols folder (but leaving the larger EC icon) and my GPS is now showing an earthcache as the smaller virtual icon that was the original set (I've not found where the original icons are stored on the 66s)... so it looks like my GPS is labelling an EC as a virtual and nothing to do with these new icons... I'll have to explore further!

NB: You can do screenshots on your unit (for better readability).

14 minutes ago, Boomshanka said:

I've added a screenshot of earthcaches showing as virtuals this one is gc680r9 in Portsmouth.

Actually you've added an image. I assume you're using Geocaching Live search on your Garmin? Then the icons are correct as there are one icon for a group of caches. IE: the Wherigo is also shown as a Mystery. ;-)

Han

Well, that's all a bit strange! In the end, I deleted all my GPX files and re-ran the 5 PQs I have set up for my local caching area ... loaded them up and now all icons are working fine... not sure what happened there but happy to report everything is fine now... and with larger icons so I can actually see them on the GPS map :) Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, Boomshanka said:

The only thing I noticed (on a 66s using the large icons) is that an earthcache is shown as a virtual (I've uploaded all 12 icons, including the earthcache)... not sure why that is? Also, do you have a DNF (blue sad face) icon?

There is no reserved symbol for a DNF. Though it is a status, and not a type, so is "found," but found geocaches actually have their own symbol designation in the GPX file whereas a DNF does not. The status is read in your GPS via the geocache_logs.txt and geocache_visits.xml files. Delete these and the DNF status disappears as far as filters are concerned, even if you logged a DNF on the website.

• Helpful 1
On 7/1/2023 at 5:18 AM, marcipanek said:

I downloaded the custom symbols and installed them to the CustomSymbols folder on the GPS. Now how do you set up the Montana 700i to show these instead the default ones?

It will happen automatically if you have loaded them to the correct directory.