Unable to delete images in my trackable logs.

MrowCat

I have been getting error 500 when I try to delete images from trackable logs on the website. I have been getting this glitch for about a month. I accidentally uploaded a photo with the code and was trying to delete it. I have also accidentally uploaded double of the same image I've tried to delete. It asks if I would like to the delete the photo, I click yes, and it brings me to the error page. Only way to fix it atm is to delete the whole log and re log it. This happens in chrome browser and normal browser. Even clicking desktop version of the website does not help.

Version 7.1.0
Android 8.0.0
samsung SM-G930T

Screenshot_20181218-173330_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 2
On 12/18/2018 at 6:26 PM, Goldenwattle said:

I was recently able to delete a wrong image, but I was asked why I wanted to delete it (what the...why?), and until I answered I was not able to delete the photograph. Next time I am asked this stupid, waste of time question I will put a full stop as my answer.

The reason for deletion is sent to the cacher that uploaded the photo, so they are informed of why their photo was deleted. It can be a good teaching moment and also minimize back-and-forth if the photo poster contacts the photo deleter. For example, putting a reason of "trackable numbers should not be included in photos" may teach the photo poster that they shouldn't be posting such photos.

It is a feature that several cachers have asked to have added to the log deletion function, so CO's can inform a cacher of why their log was deleted - rather than having to send them a separate email/message after deleting a log.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, noncentric said:

The reason for deletion is sent to the cacher that uploaded the photo, so they are informed of why their photo was deleted. It can be a good teaching moment and also minimize back-and-forth if the photo poster contacts the photo deleter. For example, putting a reason of "trackable numbers should not be included in photos" may teach the photo poster that they shouldn't be posting such photos.

It is a feature that several cachers have asked to have added to the log deletion function, so CO's can inform a cacher of why their log was deleted - rather than having to send them a separate email/message after deleting a log.

It was my own photograph in my own log.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

It was my own photograph in my own log.

Ah, that was not clear from your OP.

2 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Strange. I just tested this myself by uploading a photo to one of my trackable logs and then deleting the photo, and I didn't get asked for a reason.

I've had to delete my own log photos a few times and never saw a request for a reason either.

• Upvote 1
On 12/18/2018 at 8:26 PM, Goldenwattle said:

I was recently able to delete a wrong image, but I was asked why I wanted to delete it (what the...why?), and until I answered I was not able to delete the photograph. Next time I am asked this stupid, waste of time question I will put a full stop as my answer.

I admit, I was suspicious about this. Out of curiosity, I just tried it out myself. I clicked on someone else's photo in a log on MY TB, and I was asked for a reason I was deleting it.

Then, I clicked on my OWN log for my  OWN TB, and when I tried to delete it, I was asked for a reason.

Miley the Elf TB Forum Discussion.png

Update: This morning my husband and I were creating a new geocache page. He needed to delete an image he uploaded, and kept hitting Delete, Delete, Delete. "It won't do anything!"  I pointed to the box with the message that stated you needed to give a reason for deleting the image.  You would have appreciated his reaction, Goldenwattle. "That makes me mad. I have to tell the computer why I want to delete an image on my own geocache? Why does it need to know?"

This is the first time I recall being asked why an image on my own cache was being deleted.

4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Update: This morning my husband and I were creating a new geocache page. He needed to delete an image he uploaded, and kept hitting Delete, Delete, Delete. "It won't do anything!"  I pointed to the box with the message that stated you needed to give a reason for deleting the image.  You would have appreciated his reaction, Goldenwattle. "That makes me mad. I have to tell the computer why I want to delete an image on my own geocache? Why does it need to know?"

This is the first time I recall being asked why an image on my own cache was being deleted.

At least you could delete the image, or I am supposing you could. I still can't get the photograph I want to, to delete, even after typing something (random letters). Tried just then...again.

Is there anyone reading this who can fix that bug?

On 12/22/2018 at 9:01 PM, Goldenwattle said:

Image still won't delete :(

Using my laptop at present. It will be interesting to see when I return home whether my home computer makes any difference.

For a 500 error, it typically wouldn't matter what kind of computer or browser you're using as a client.  A 500 error means that while processing a request, the server encountered an error while processing the response.  It's a general purpose response that the web server will return if the web application has terminated for some unknown reason.

6 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

For a 500 error, it typically wouldn't matter what kind of computer or browser you're using as a client.  A 500 error means that while processing a request, the server encountered an error while processing the response.  It's a general purpose response that the web server will return if the web application has terminated for some unknown reason.

Yes, a 500 error is a server error, but I have seen them generated when a browser-sniffing script failed, typically when presented with a user agent string that it wasn't prepared to handle. For example, if the script generates one thing for Windows browsers and another thing for MacOS browsers, then badly coded browser sniffing could fail with a 500 error when accessed by a Linux browser. Or by a browser claiming to be "ENIAC" or "HAL 9000" or whatever. Or by a browser behind a proxy that scrubs user agent strings and other optional HTTP headers.

3 hours ago, niraD said:

Yes, a 500 error is a server error, but I have seen them generated when a browser-sniffing script failed, typically when presented with a user agent string that it wasn't prepared to handle. For example, if the script generates one thing for Windows browsers and another thing for MacOS browsers, then badly coded browser sniffing could fail with a 500 error when accessed by a Linux browser. Or by a browser claiming to be "ENIAC" or "HAL 9000" or whatever. Or by a browser behind a proxy that scrubs user agent strings and other optional HTTP headers.

Well I hope this problem is fixed soon.

2 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

Yes, I see that now. Unfortunately, there is little to go on as there is no information (such as the image(s) causing the error or a timestamp of when the error occurred) in that post. It is certainly not a widespread issue.

Most people don't try to delete an image, so even if the image couldn't be deleted they wouldn't know. I'm tempted to try deleting other recent images (those images I still have and can put back) over several TBs, to see if this problem continues, but I don't want to waste your time if I encounter the problem again.

You definitely wouldn't be wasting my time! My suspicion is that the first deletion attempt is taking place when there are server issues and then the system gets into a bad state. For example, even though the image you were having issues with was deleted from that log, it is still showing in your gallery. That shouldn't be the case (and might even be a entirely separate bug). In any case, if sporadic server issues are the cause, tracking the issue down will be that much more difficult.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

You definitely wouldn't be wasting my time! My suspicion is that the first deletion attempt is taking place when there are server issues and then the system gets into a bad state. For example, even though the image you were having issues with was deleted from that log, it is still showing in your gallery. That shouldn't be the case (and might even be a entirely separate bug). In any case, if sporadic server issues are the cause, tracking the issue down will be that much more difficult.

Okay, tried a couple more, and got the same problem. (I actually want these images to stay here, but I tested to see if they could be deleted. Same error problem and they wouldn't delete.)

https://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=6401259b-9466-408f-8e56-2d39f463a2ec

https://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=9bead2d6-e773-45ad-8c0a-a16767760e1f

Edited by Goldenwattle

Very interesting. I was able to repeat the error whether using my account or spoof-logged in with your account. Deleting the log and restoring it then allowed for the image to be removed even though the error still appeared. However, when I uploaded a new image to the log, I was able to delete it without error using either account. Furthermore, the prompt asking me for the reason to delete did NOT appear. It's as though somehow the system is thinking these images that you have uploaded are not owned by you.

What is the method you are using to get the images onto the logs?

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

Very interesting. I was able to repeat the error whether using my account or spoof-logged in with your account. Deleting the log and restoring it then allowed for the image to be removed even though the error still appeared. However, when I uploaded a new image to the log, I was able to delete it without error using either account. Furthermore, the prompt asking me for the reason to delete did NOT appear. It's as though somehow the system is thinking these images that you have uploaded are not owned by you.

What is the method you are using to get the images onto the logs?

Just the normal (old page setup) on my computer. It's happened with two different computers. Click on image and navigate to the image and upload it.

15 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

I think I've narrowed it down. If the image is uploaded without a name/caption, attempts to delete it result in a 500 error. If you then edit the image to add a name, the image can be deleted without the error.

I'm going to inform the dev team of this issue and hopefully they will have a resolution soon.

Aha!  That makes sense. I always name my photos. My husband sometimes forgets.

1 minute ago, Moun10Bike said:

I think I've narrowed it down. If the image is uploaded without a name/caption, attempts to delete it result in an 500 error. If you then edit the image to add a name, the image can be deleted without the error.

I'm going to inform the dev team of this issue and hopefully they will have a resolution soon.

Actually the images I loaded did have a name; this name used to show up when loaded (years ago?), but then that was changed so the name didn't upload any more. I'm guessing done to assist phones (?). I never understood this, as it became a nuisance to than have to go and re-reload the name after it is loaded, so I rarely do. It would be nice if the name on the image could be uploaded too, as it once would have been.

(I will now reload those deleted photographs to the TBs.)

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Actually the images I loaded did have a name; this name used to show up when loaded (years ago?), but then that was changed so the name didn't upload any more. I'm guessing done to assist phones (?). I never understood this, as it became a nuisance to than have to go and re-reload the name after it is loaded, so I rarely do. It would be nice if the name on the image could be uploaded too, as it once would have been.

(I will now reload those deleted photographs to the TBs.)

That change has bothered me, too. The auto-fill was helpful when I was uploading submissions from challenge participants to a challenge that I own. I have to remember to manually add the name now. This change occurred when we deprecated the "caption" field on photos (which was limited in length) and switched over to directing content solely to what was then called the "description" field (which allows for more text).

• Upvote 3

Image deletion of cache page gallery images by CO on their own listings is rather peculiar now.   CO is asked for a "reason".  It's my gallery, why do I have to provide myself a reason to delete my own image? (at least this isn't being emailed to me).  After putting something into the  reason text box and clicking delete a person is still on the edit page of the image, with the full set of image edits available. It hardly seems like it has been deleted. The only way to know that is to visit the listing.  

Not a bug exactly, but just odd ...

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/image.aspx?imgid=4878731&amp%3bid=7028698

image uploaded then deleted from the gallery of  https://coord.info/GC81PQ4 

it was uploaded upright, edited title and rotated after deletion.

Mm, seems the "reason for deletion" pop up now appears on both your owned gallery images and your owned log images, and hiccups over no name photos, though it has worked for me sans name.  

Edited by Isonzo Karst