New Group - Pop Silos - members welcomed!

Hello.  Started a new group to Waymark artistically enhanced silos (visit Pop Silos ).  I was mostly thinking of farm silos, but construction silos (ie cement) could be included.  While driving around in Eastern-Ontario farm country, I noticed a few of these popping up.  I only see one category specific to silos (Solitary Silos).  Feel free to join and comment as you please!

Thank you BK and elyob for your comments.  I gather your votes would be a nay? ? I still think a specific category for Pop Silos would be a great addition, but I'm not going to fight tooth and nail for it ... it could turn into a nasty exchange of opinions! ? If the best place is in Murals, then fine with me. ?

Cheers.

15 hours ago, Loonwatcher said:

Thank you BK and elyob for your comments.  I gather your votes would be a nay? ? I still think a specific category for Pop Silos would be a great addition, but I'm not going to fight tooth and nail for it ... it could turn into a nasty exchange of opinions! ? If the best place is in Murals, then fine with me. ?

Cheers.

Here an excerpt from the category description for MURALS:

"Large works of art that are permanently mounted on a building or other structure will also be considered for inclusion in this category."

Silos should be considered "other structures".

WMZ3QG - Silo Art in Rochester Victoria, Australia, has already been submitted and accepted into the murals category and in fact is a featured waymark for Waymarking.com.  This would definitely be a subcategory of Murals and shouldn't be approved.  Sorry.

Thank you everyone for participating in this discussion thus far. I understand that this proposal is apparantly covered in the "Murals" category.  I will study this more in depth and come back ... the category proposal wasn't even shared at large yet. The group is still open for anyone interested.

Cache on!

Jacques

Edited by Loonwatcher
On 12/20/2018 at 3:01 PM, elyob said:

I am surprised that there are not yet additional opinions posted here.

Well, I guess this case was so clear for me that I did not bother. So just for the record: Nay. I like those silos, but they already have their place.

And I can imagine who joined your group. We have some people here who would join a group for Public Accessible Dog Poo. Don't  count on them!

Should I even bother writing up and sharing a category description?  I have members of my group voting 'nay'.  I feel that artistically enhanced silos (ie: Pop Silos) might have been inserted in the Murals category by default because there wasn't a specific category.  Just read through some previous forum discussions ... some very nasty stuff that goes way beyond comments to help the proposal.  Am I to expect this if I pursue?  I feel that I am a 'mature' Waymarker who understands both games - Geocaching and Waymarking.

Edited by Loonwatcher

Maybe you are not aware of the four official criteria in Groundspeak's guidelines for Peer Review: Global, redundant, prevalent, and interesting.

All of them do offer some limited room for interpretation, but if a new category so clearly violates one these four criteria (in this case Prevalent) it has absolutely no chance to succeed.

21 hours ago, Loonwatcher said:

Should I even bother writing up and sharing a category description?  I have members of my group voting 'nay'.  I feel that artistically enhanced silos (ie: Pop Silos) might have been inserted in the Murals category by default because there wasn't a specific category.  Just read through some previous forum discussions ... some very nasty stuff that goes way beyond comments to help the proposal.  Am I to expect this if I pursue?  I feel that I am a 'mature' Waymarker who understands both games - Geocaching and Waymarking.

Please go back and read my comment of earlier - 

Here an excerpt from the category description for MURALS:

"Large works of art that are permanently mounted on a building or other structure will also be considered for inclusion in this category."

Silos should be considered "other structures".

No, they weren't inserted into the Murals by default - they were inserted because they belonged into the category by the category definition.  One must ALWAYS take emotion out of the equation and make sure that one reads what others are saying.    You just can't FEEL that something should be one way if the category description specifically states the other - sorry. 

Thanks to all once again for your input.  For what it is worth, here is a draft of the category proposal I had written up, as agreed by most in my group.  After this, I think I will put this matter to rest.

Pop Silos

Description:

This category will seek out and record artistically enhanced tower silos.

Expanded Description:

GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS

For this category, a silo will be recognized as a tower-like structure for storing bulk materials, mostly of agricultural use. Silos in this category must be permanent at an identifiable location.  Free hand graffiti will not be considered an acceptable art-form for this category.

Instructions for Posting a Solitary Silos Waymark:

Naming: In order of preference:

"XXX - Anytown, State"

"Road Name - Anytown, State."

1.The description must describe the theme/design of the art -- it’s subject matter, media used, etc.

2. Coordinates must be personally obtained by a physical visit to the location. The coordinates should be taken as close to the silo as possible! If the coordinates are from a viewing point, please indicate this in your long description and describe the viewing point and approximate distance from the silo.

3. At least two photographs are required. One that clearly shows the entire length of the silo(s) and other photos can show signs, setting or specific details of the art design on the silo(s).

Additional photos to show more detail or other views are encouraged.

Since this is an VISUAL ART category, the quality of your photos is important. Waymarks with low quality photos that are inadequate in any way to display the art may be declined.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

Please provide additional photos of the location. Add your own insights and observations about this location.

Variables:

• Are tours available?

• Does the silo have a website?

• Type of material:  steel, concrete or wood?

• Surrounding property still in active use?

Anyways, thank you for the feedback.  Merci à tous pour votre appui et votre rétroaction.  Je ne ressens pas un intérêt dans la communauté.

Jacques

Edited by Loonwatcher