What should I leave in a geocache?

AF2017

1 hour ago, NanCycle said:

What is the size of the caches you are going for?  Most caches nowadays are so small that the only thing you need to bring with you is a pen(cil) to be able to sign the log. 

I don't know (I'm going with some friends, and one of them is in charge of the whole things/ knows the geocaches and where we're going)

I have a sort of "reverse" recommendation based on some pretty gross finds lately. Please don't leave paper items in a cache. Of course the log needs to be some kind of paper item, but the "goodies" I leave from now on will be a bit more water resistant.  Sooner or later it seems, a cache is going to leak, or not closed properly. Being the one to find a soaked rotting ball of papers is a pretty nasty prize. One recent find was not only wet and rotting, it was full of cockroaches and their fecal matter. I can only assume they were interested in the rotting paper.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

At this time, maybe just bring a pencil/pen, taking no "trades" with you.  Hopefully folks in your area are trading...  

First day, it's more of a learning experience on finding caches , logging , and returning properly for you right now. 

- No problem with trading on a later date, or not at all...

When you see what others are leaving as trade items, you've answered your own question.   :)

• Helpful 1
29 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

Polished rocks are nice. They're small enough for many geocaches, including micros, and they're waterproof. I use to get my polished rocks at a local toystore. Some gift stores carry tumbled rocks. 

extra-large-lg.jpg

Great idea! I may have some of those lying around too

17 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

Do both--leave an awesome log and an interesting trinket. It's a win-win. :)

Agreed!

A trinket is for the next finder. 

A log is for the CO.

The first ensures those that follow you have an excellent experience, the latter is a thank you to the person who ensured you had one.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I have a lot of old jewellery I plan to start leaving in geocaches. I have dropped off a few pieces; but still lots to leave.

Re the comment about leaving paper items; that depends on the cache. I have found some very nice paper items, such as new notebooks in very dry, well maintained caches. Notebooks are one of the few things I have taken from caches. I tend to add things, but rarely make a withdrawal.

Don't leave money; this might encourage people to steal caches in case there is money in it.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I have a lot of old jewellery I plan to start leaving in geocaches. I have dropped off a few pieces; but still lots to leave.

Re the comment about leaving paper items; that depends on the cache. I have found some very nice paper items, such as new notebooks in very dry, well maintained caches. Notebooks are one of the few things I have taken from caches. I tend to add things, but rarely make a withdrawal.

Don't leave money; this might encourage people to steal caches in case there is money in it.

Good idea! I think I'll do the same

• Upvote 1

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but I think it's good to know that you don't HAVE to leave anything!

It's good geocaching to leave something of equal or greater value than what you took, but if you're like me and don't take anything anyway then you don't have to leave anything unless you really want to.

But if you do want to leave something, I've found quite a few little rubber bouncy balls. They're always great fun for kids to throw around and they're easily cleaned and don't degrade if the cache gets damaged. Dice are also popular, as are the cheap "pirate treasure" plastic coins you can get buy from those discount stores. Treasure is always fun for the kids.

For the grownups or for more serious swag, you could always leave a cheap keyring flashlight (please don't leave the batteries in case they degrade and leak!), a cheap compass to clip onto a backpack or something, carbine/carabine clips, maybe a plastic magnifying glass for map reading. Little things like that. ^^

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
12 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Another thought, many geocachers like foreign coins. If you have any in a drawer left over from a vacation leave them in caches. 

I have a large wooden cigar box full of foreign coins and small denomination bills.  They don't have much monetary value but grabbing a coin from someplace like Malaysia, Cuba, or one of several African countries seems like something many geocachers might like.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JohnCNA said:
16 hours ago, Rikitan said:

Anything what you think can have value for others. Of course, no food, explosives nor any kind of dangerous items. 

And nothing liquid, please. 

And nothing that smells like food, even if it isn't actually food. Animals won't know the difference until they've trashed the container.

And personal hygiene products are right out.

• Upvote 1