Double Jasmer

DRJDSmith

I have just recently completed my Jasmer and using the hidden month tool on Project-GC really helped me to locate those caches needed to fulfill that challenge. I now want to go after my double Jasmer. How can I isolate those caches needed to fill in those months? I tried using the same tool but it says there are no caches found since I have already filled that month.

I'm also working on my Double Jasmer.  In addition to the Project-GC tool, here are some other ideas:

1. The oldest months (year 2000) are the rarest.  Fortunately there are many bookmark lists that collect these golden oldie caches.  Scan through the bookmark lists for ideas on caches that will fill your hardest missing months.
  2. Run pocket queries limited to placement dates you need, but over a broad geographical area like listing all the US states where you regularly go caching, or states that you plan on traveling to.  For example, if the only July 2000 cache you've found is "Power Island" -- I did the same -- then run a pocket query limited by placement date of 7/1/00 to 7/31/00 for all US States, and you'd discover "Tarryall," the oldest active cache in Colorado.  For my Double Jasmer, I made sure to find Tarryall when I visited my daughter, who lives in Colorado, a couple of months ago.
  3. If you are a GSAK user, sort your cache database by placement date and scan down the list for months you need, or apply a filter to show only caches hidden in a month that you need.
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

I'm not sure it works right to just search in a pocket query for caches within 3000 miles.  Isn't the limit 500 miles or something?

I do "wide ranging pocket queries" by selecting the countries and states I wish to search.  For a search of the entire USA, I highlight all of the states.  (You only need to do this once and then save the PQ as a template - you don't need to actually run it, just preview the results each time you alter the search parameters for different date ranges, etc.)

A search on all US States for caches hidden in November 2000 should have turned up 12 caches, including "No Walk in the Park" outside of Dallas (which I found for my first Jasmer loop) and "Alvin's Phone Line," the oldest cache in Minnesota, which I'm planning on finding for my second Jasmer loop.  Both of these are more than 500 miles from your home coordinates, I believe.

• Helpful 1

I have a sql script I use in GSAK that shows me the totals per .. pretty much any property I'd want to check. So it's easy to see which D/Ts (for fizzy) or months (for jasmer) are trailing the rest.  Unless it's a super complex challenge, I've got most any challenge idea stored as a single sql query to run against the MyFinds database. Quite handy.

The same script can be run again a general geocache database to find caches that qualify.  Of course that database needs to have the cache statuses kept updated, which is a different beast depending on its size/boundaries

Here's a fairly complete bookmark list of all year 2000 caches. You can query it   Year 2000 Caches
https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=658498d7-b980-4cbb-8412-c37727c7cc80

Also, repeating what The Leprauchans wrote. Set up an All US States query. Yes, it's a nuisance the first time, but you'll have it forever, and it's handy.

To do this, hold Control, and keep selecting states, until you have all of them.