How do I search for caches by name

lefisher

Perhaps if I explain how I usually find caches you would be able to see where I am going wrong under the new system.  From the opening screen I click on "View map" . I know I will be near Iver Heath, Southern England, in a few days' time so I move to that area on the map.  Then I see a couple of nice circular walks: Langley Park and LPN.  Once I had the name of one of the caches I used to go back to the geocaching home page, click on filter (which I can no longer do) and then put  either Langley Park or LPN into the search on cache name, plus Southern England to refine the search, and a list of caches come up.  I then turn the list into a PQ and off I go geocaching. 

Now I have to search on a map with filters on the left of the page.  I type in eg LPN and I get taken to Thailand.  I have tried forcing the search engine to keep me in the right place by also adding the name of the person who laid the cache.  Still I don't get a list of caches name LPN.  

What I have now done is made a PQ with a radius of a certain distance around LPN 1 but this includes all sorts of caches I'm not interested in.

OK.  Now that I have tortuously typed the above, I think I might have worked out how to do what I want: on the opening screen type in the area then click on the magnifying glass.  Then filter on the name of the cache.  I hope this has helped anyone else!

When all is said and done, I don't like this new system.  I want my screen filled with caches rather than having to click on "search this area" all the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Try this.....

From the main search page

Click on magnifying glass Search

This brings up the sort of map shown previously in this thread.

Move/zoom map to rough area required

On the left panel click Filter

Geocache name contains      enter Langley Park or LPN

Click Done

What do you get?

Probably not the simplest way but it may get you somewhere.

23 hours ago, lefisher said:

Many thanks.  What confused me was not realising I had to type in a search area from the home screen!  I got used to clicking "view map" from the drop down menu.

What is probably confusing to some is that the search box is not used search for caches by name, but to identify an area where it will display caches.  Searching for a cache by name is a filter on a list of caches being shown on the map (or on a list).  

• Upvote 2