Resources to Explain Geocaching

DollyJelly

Hi, 

So, here I am back in to GeoCaching after a number of years. I have retired now and live in the Dolgellau, North Wales area. There is plenty of good walking here of all grades and I am keen to get out as much as I can and explore. I am not what you would call the athletic or adventurous type but I am improving by the day. Have found about 25 caches so far (at the time of writing of course) mainly drive by's but have done some others too. I have a couple of groups of caches on a theme which I like the look of and will crack on with those next- as soon as this torrential rain breaks long enough!

So if you spot Jake (see profile) dragging a 6' fella along, say hi. We'd would love to meet other local 'cachers to explore our great countryside with.

In the past we used to be able to print a small card which explained GeoCaching to carry with us, if say we were stopped by Muggles or property owners/authority bodies, to explain what we are doing - do these still exist? if so a link would be appreciated.

Edited by DollyJelly
5 hours ago, DollyJelly said:

In the past we used to be able to print a small card which explained GeoCaching to carry with us, if say we were stopped by Muggles or property owners/authority bodies, to explain what we are doing - do these still exist? if so a link would be appreciated.

On the main page; play, Hide a geocache, you can get something to print.

12 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

On the main page; play, Hide a geocache, you can get something to print.

Well, whilst that is true, all I have found there is the GeoCache notice for inside the cache itself, it is headed "Congratulations! You’ve just found a geocache—intentionally or not......"

What used to be avail was an A4 sheet that you printed and folded down to a small credit card shape, each panel would have one of the following - the GeoCaching Logo, Information about the sport/hobby, Website contact details, Code of Conduct and information which was to allay concerns that you could present if challenged. OK, having a sticky on the car is a start, but often that is some distance away, Considering the sensitivity of suspicious activity, which some people rightly have these days I would have thought such an item ought to be a requisite.

This week I was locating a cache which was less than 10 meters from a railway crossing. I was careful and avoided all visible Muggles and was entirely discrete. However, the Network Authority saw me acting in a "suspicious manner" via the ever watchful CCTV I believe and it wasn't long before someone was dispatched to query me. It all turned out fine, but I would liked to have had something official (especially as a Premium member)

Edited by DollyJelly
9 hours ago, DollyJelly said:

Well, whilst that is true, all I have found there is the GeoCache notice for inside the cache itself, it is headed "Congratulations! You’ve just found a geocache—intentionally or not......"

What used to be avail was an A4 sheet that you printed and folded down to a small credit card shape, each panel would have one of the following - the GeoCaching Logo, Information about the sport/hobby, Website contact details, Code of Conduct and information which was to allay concerns that you could present if challenged. OK, having a sticky on the car is a start, but often that is some distance away, Considering the sensitivity of suspicious activity, which some people rightly have these days I would have thought such an item ought to be a requisite.

This week I was locating a cache which was less than 10 meters from a railway crossing. I was careful and avoided all visible Muggles and was entirely discrete. However, the Network Authority saw me acting in a "suspicious manner" via the ever watchful CCTV I believe and it wasn't long before someone was dispatched to query me. It all turned out fine, but I would liked to have had something official (especially as a Premium member)

I vaugely remember that sheet from several years ago. It makes one wonder why it was removed. Perhaps HQ ahould bring it back.

As we risk going seriously off topic here I will thank you for your input. I will try to create something in a PDF using DTP. I do think there should be an officially sanctioned document to carry just in case. If all goes well, I will try to get permission to upload on the forum as a separate post

Thanks Again

Edited by DollyJelly
23 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

- And the geocaching Brochures are still listed in Geocaching EDU.

Forgot to add...  You could simply enter Geocaching 101, and play the video for them.  :)

There is also this:  https://www.geocaching.com/articles/Brochures/EN/EN_Geocaching_BROCHURE_online_color.pdf

Several years ago I started a project which attempted to create basic "What is Geocaching?" documents in several languages.   That actually caused some issues obtaining a business visa when I visited Cuba the first time.   Apparently, someone did a bit of research on my email address and discovered the project I created on Github and were concerned that I was promoting hiding stuff using a GPS in the country.