Reserve a Location?

SkellyCA

I was hiking with a muggle friend last week and I past a spot that is just crying out for a cache. I would like to reserve the location while I go and scout the area alone in more detail, then make a cache for that location and write the description. I have coordinates from google maps which I can fine tune later.

I did it a search here on the forum and one answer said to create a draft(disabled cache).

I'm creating the page now and don't see any option for creating a disabled cache.

How do I create a draft cache?

The first thing you need to do is tell your reviewer that you want to reserve that location by giving him/her the coordinates. After they confirm that they did indeed reserve that spot, then, make the page like you normally would, and click save. Don't click the button that says "Submit for Review". Next, go to your profile and click "Unpublished Hides" and you should see your cache. After you place the cache, go back to your draft page under "Unpublished Hides" submit it for review and adjust the coordinates as necessary. In my experience, reviewers tend to keep the spot for you for up to 30 days.

Hope that helps!

You may find the "Ask a Reviewer to Check Coordinates" section of  THIS PAGE  in the Help Center.  Keep in mind that it's possible to have saturation issues if there are physical waypoints for Multi/Mystery caches within 0.1 miles of your chosen location, so having a Reviewer confirm can be helpful if there are Multi/Mystery caches within a few miles.

When I have directly contacted my local Reviewers in the past, they have asked me to create a page and enter the coords in that page - rather than just give them the coords in an email.  My guess would be that there is a tool that allows them to check distances of other caches/physical waypoints within a cache page. But if the coords are just given to them in email, then they'd have to check manually.  Also, I don't think the Reviewer has any way to 'reserve' a location if an actual cache page (even if disabled) is not created.

Anyway, what I've done is create a cache page and put "COORDINATE CHECK Only" as the cache name.  Then I put the coordinates of my proposed location on the page, click Submit for Review, and enter something like "Just want to confirm that this location is available before I place a cache container there" in the Reviewer Note that is required when submitting.

The Reviewer then replies via a log on the cache page, which would automatically be sent to me via email.  Assuming the location is okay, then I'd work on creating/placing the cache container and writing up the cache page - changing the name too, of course.

Thanks, the created cache page is the right way to go.

When I read Twisted Cube's response, " The first thing you need to do is tell your reviewer that you want to reserve that location by giving him/her the coordinates. After they confirm that they did indeed reserve that spot ..", I logged in under my reviewer account to respond.

Yes, you can send coords to a reviewer, but that will NOT reserve a location. A cache page with a cache owner note outlining the plan for the spot reserves a location, not coords in a reviewer's memory.

My preference is NOT be "sent coords", but for the cacher to create a Coords Checking cache.  That said, I will respond to sent coords, but nothing is reserved. And the only thing I'm reviewing is whether the coords meet the saturation guideline, and any known land manager policy - that I happen to notice.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, palmetto said:

Thanks, the created cache page is the right way to go.

When I read Twisted Cube's response, " The first thing you need to do is tell your reviewer that you want to reserve that location by giving him/her the coordinates. After they confirm that they did indeed reserve that spot ..", I logged in under my reviewer account to respond.

Yes, you can send coords to a reviewer, but that will NOT reserve a location. A cache page with a cache owner note outlining the plan for the spot reserves a location, not coords in a reviewer's memory.

My preference is NOT be "sent coords", but for the cacher to create a Coords Checking cache.  That said, I will respond to sent coords, but nothing is reserved. And the only thing I'm reviewing is whether the coords meet the saturation guideline, and any known land manager policy - that I happen to notice.

Thanks palmetto. You are right, I think I may have switched the order while I was writing this. Oh well. : ) 

19 hours ago, SkellyCA said:

I'm creating the page now and don't see any option for creating a disabled cache.

A newly created cache page is already in a disabled state so there's no need to do anything to make it disabled. Just create the page and, as palmetto said, include a note to say what your plans are so that if someone else tries to submit a cache there, the reviewer can see that yours is still a work in progress.

• Upvote 1
On 12/17/2018 at 11:22 AM, barefootjeff said:

A newly created cache page is already in a disabled state so there's no need to do anything to make it disabled. Just create the page and, as palmetto said, include a note to say what your plans are so that if someone else tries to submit a cache there, the reviewer can see that yours is still a work in progress.

Yes, the review will disabled the cache the cache for me. That's what the email said anyway.

So nothing else to do but scout the area, make the cache and place it, then enable it.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, SkellyCA said:

Yes, the review will disabled the cache the cache for me. That's what the email said anyway.

So nothing else to do but scout the area, make the cache and place it, then enable it.

And verify the coordinates again, just to be sure.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, K13 said:

And verify the coordinates again, just to be sure.

Yes, I'll have to adjust to coordinates 10 or 20 feet or so to find tune them. I did find a good spot today. I ordered a container and travel bug. So I need to wait for them. Paint the cache. Then go place it.