revoke Hotjar-Access

Cachologen

While answering one of the surveys from Groundspeak, I clicked "Yes" to a question like: "can we collect your data to make a profile, you can opt out at anytime". Don't know why I did it :o ... now I want to know where I can "opt-out".

Although I think I have other associations of "improvement" than them, I am interested in helping Groundspeak to improve their page. But this is not the way I want to do it - no script sending every keystroke to some server ... every keystroke ... and if I accidentally write sensitive data in the wrong field?

I don't feel good knowing "big brother" is watching me (every click, every keystroke ... :o).

So please tell me where I can switch off this "feature".

19 minutes ago, Cachologen said:

So please tell me where I can switch off this "feature". 

Probably best to contact the Hotjar website admin regarding this issue.  In the meantime, you can read up on hotjar's GDPR compliance...

https://www.hotjar.com/privacy/gdpr-compliance

Edit to add:  you can also run a quick search regarding opting out of hotjar, which should yield several useful results.

Edited by Touchstone
2 hours ago, noncentric said:

This link might be what the OP is looking for:  https://www.hotjar.com/legal/compliance/opt-out

On that opt-out page it says, "Note: Clearing your cookies, running in incognito/private mode, or using a different browser will enable tracking again." That sounds like it's not so much opting out as temporarily blocking it on one browser. To me, opting out ought to mean going back to the non-tracking state that existed prior to clicking on "Yes you can track me".

Edited by barefootjeff
4 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

On that opt-out page it says, "Note: Clearing your cookies, running in incognito/private mode, or using a different browser will enable tracking again." That sounds like it's not so much opting out as temporarily blocking it on one browser. To me, opting out ought to mean going back to the non-tracking state that existed prior to clicking on "Yes you can track me".

I do not see that message when I go to that page.  Are you seeing that message on the landing page, or after you click on something on that page?

Maybe the message we see is based on what we're running (browser/extensions/add-ons/etc) when we go to that page. Not sure.

5 hours ago, noncentric said:

I do not see that message when I go to that page.  Are you seeing that message on the landing page, or after you click on something on that page?

Maybe the message we see is based on what we're running (browser/extensions/add-ons/etc) when we go to that page. Not sure.

This is what I see at https://www.hotjar.com/legal/compliance/opt-out on Firefox 64.0. I haven't clicked on anything, and as far as I know I haven't authorised Hotjar to record anything but I couldn't be sure of that.

Hotjar.png.764f0f6e1e8a2af4e5ddcb7e6965f019.png

On 12/17/2018 at 7:28 AM, barefootjeff said:

Ah, it says you have Do Not Track mode turned on in your browser, whereas I don't. Maybe I should turn that on.

I am also a Firefox user and enabled Do Not Track a few weeks ago. When the DNT header was introduced I was sceptical because many companies would just ignore it (and are doing).

It seems that Hotjar are using DNT in the exact spirit it was intended, and they should be credited for that. I had not heard of this firm until reading this thread and I don't like what I have learnt - but at least they are anticipating privacy concerns and giving people an easy way to opt out of their monitoring.

My view is that by enabling DNT you have nothing to lose and perhaps something to gain. There is still the option to use NoScript, ad-blockers etc and I will continue to use an ad-blocker.

• Upvote 1