Questions About GPSMAP 66 Geocaching Use (orMAP64)

Started setting up and learning this device today and so far a couple of geocaching things that are different than on my 60CSx and I can't figure out.  Perhaps the 66 is the same as the 62 or 64 series, but I never had one of those.  Maybe someone with a new 66 or a 64 or 62 can help?

On my 60CSx to delete all the geocaches on the device, I can choose the Find button > Geocache> Menu> Delete> All Symbols.  That will delete all types of geocaches on the device.

On the 66st, I can not find any way to delete all the geocaches?

In my GSAK database I have some waypoints that I took and named while on hikes.  An example of one named "Jackson Ridge Trail Shelter" is in the attached screenshot.  These show on my 60CSx just fine although not as a blue flag as I think GSAK has them, but as a regular closed yellow chest geocache symbol.  On the 66, they do not show on the map and I can't find them on the unit.  What could be going on with those?

Also, the geocache symbols displayed on the map of the 66 are not as they are on the 60CSx. One example:  I sent the same group of caches and waypoints from GSAK to the 60CSx and then to the 66. Geocaches on the 60CSx are shown as closed, and larger yellow treasure chests.  On the 66 they are SMALL green circles with something even smaller inside the circle. (Maybe a white chest, but hard to see.)  Found geocaches are shown as larger, open yellow chests on both units. Mystery and puzzles are also the same on both units.  This is not really an issue as I am sure I will get used to the smaller green icons and they take up less screen space.  But I am curious why the unfound geocaches are like that and the found caches are the larger yellow chests on both units?

A non-caching question:  The 60CSx, when disconnecting from the computer, begins a countdown to power off.  You have about 30 seconds to hit the enter button and keep it powered up.  The 66 posers off immediately upon disconnecting the USB cable and I can not find how to change that.

Thanks.

geocache.PNG

Edited by Cheminer Will

I'll answer your second part first since it's a bit more universal.

2 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

The 60CSx, when disconnecting from the computer, begins a countdown to power off.  You have about 30 seconds to hit the enter button and keep it powered up.  The 66 posers off immediately upon disconnecting the USB cable and I can not find how to change that.

The answer is no. The reason is that when the GPS is plugged into the computer, it's not actually on and functioning but rather in mass storage mode where it's nothing but a glorified USB thumb drive. The device must completely reboot in order to boot back into a working device. Your 60csx never connected in this fashion. If you had an SD card installed, you would access the contents this way, but the GPS itself connected to a computer differently.

This segways into your first part. Deleting geocaches.

Since the Colorado units, and later the Oregon and the gpsMap 62 and all units forward, geocaches are treated not just as a different category of waypoint, but a different class of data. I don't know why Garmin chose not to allow users to delete geocaches directly from the device, but it's a feature that has been missing now for almost a decade. It may be due to these units connecting to a computer with mass storage mode, so you can add and delete the geocache files directly.

All geocache data is stored in the GPX file format, and all GPX files are stored in the Garmin/GPX folder on your GPS. Though there may be some variation to how geocaches work on the 66 and the Oregon 700 now that they can access the API directly without the need to plug into a computer. I haven't played with one of these new fangled units yet. But the traditional way of installing a geocaching GPX file has been to drop it into the GPX folder, and then delete it when it's time to remove. Many users will "delete" found and archived geocaches simply by setting up pocket queries to exclude those caches and updating the file on a regular basis, or by using a cache manager such as GSAK or iCaching to filter out unwanted caches. Since PQ's always write to the same file name, this simply overwrites the file that was previously installed on the GPS. The same can be done from GSAK or iCaching.

• Helpful 1

Thanks - So if I am understanding the 2nd part of your answer, there is really never any need to delete geocaches from the 66 since when a new or updated batch of caches is sent to the unit from GSAK, the file on the 66 will simply be overwritten?

As far as the USB connection, I think that is how my smart phones connects also but they don't turn off and need to be restarted after disconnecting.  Although maybe my phone is connected in MTP. The default interface the 66 is set to in Garmin Serial.  Not sure I really understand the details but the important part is that there seems to be no way around the 66 powering off and needing to be turned back on after connecting it to the computer so I will not worry about it.

What about my question re: waypoints in GSAK that I keep in my local database not showing up on the 66?  Do you know what is happening there?  In the past, I just downloaded waypoints I made on the 60CSx for specific trailheads, etc. into my GSAK databases where I renamed them and they became just my personal waypoints that lived in GSAK and were always loaded to the 60CSx along with the geocaches.  Then they were available on the screen on hikes.  The one in the screenshot called Jackson Ridge Trail Shelter is one of those.  What do I need to do differently on the 66 to have those personal waypoints available for use?

Good question. As a Mac user, I'm not totally familiar with the ins and outs of GSAK. iCaching lets you make user waypoints  for geocaches and will export them to a GPX file when exporting caches, but doesn't store separate waypoints on their own. I use Basecamp to manage my non-geocaching data - waypoints, tracks, routes. 

I may have to find a different way to do it but if I can avoid that I hope to.  I just checked and I have 59 personal waypoints in my "local" GSAK database.  Those live in the database of updating caches and get loaded on to the 60CSx everytime I send an updated db from GSAK to the unit so they are always available.  I need to have them on the 66 also so will need to either figure out why they are not showing or learn some other easy way to get them on there when I am using the local db.

I just noticed something else different about the 66 that may be related to the way it loads and stores the geocaches.   With the 60CSx, I sometimes started up an empty database and used GSAK's "receive" tool to download all caches and personal waypoints from the 60CSx to GSAK.  Then I would just edit and move the personal waypoints that came along for the ride. 

I may have better luck with these two questions asking them on the GSAK forums.  

In effect, yes. But also because GSAK writes caches to the GPS in bulk - a single file with all of the caches rather than one file per cache. And also because the 66 has no geocache limits - so there's no NEED to delete any, you could just filter out your finds, though these devices do slow down with more data to parse through. Whether you filter your finds or not prior to loading onto the GPS, if you find yourself with thousands or 10s of thousands of geocaches, you might also want to export them to the GGZ file format. In which case they get stored in a GGZ folder rather than GPX.

Wonder how many caches it would take to slow things down.  My "local" db alone has over 6,000 caches if not filtered by distance less than 90 miles.  What would be the advantage of using the GGZ format?   And I assume there is no limit to how many GPX files can be put in the 66 GPX folder?  In fact I guess I could keep a seperate gpx file with all my personal waypoints and just manually copy that to the 66's gpx folder.  As long as the name was different than the file GSAK sends, all should show up on the map?  But maybe not as my personal waypoints don't seem to show up on the map even though they are included in the file sent from GSAK.  Odd indeed.

Just thought maybe the reason they don't show on the map is that GSAK has coded them a symbol that is different than what the 66 geocache settings will display?

Edited by Cheminer Will
8 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

Wonder how many caches it would take to slow things down.  My "local" db alone has over 6,000 caches if not filtered by distance less than 90 miles.  What would be the advantage of using the GGZ format?   And I assume there is no limit to how many GPX files can be put in the 66 GPX folder?  In fact I guess I could keep a seperate gpx file with all my personal waypoints and just manually copy that to the 66's gpx folder.  As long as the name was different than the file GSAK sends, all should show up on the map?  But maybe not as my personal waypoints don't seem to show up on the map even though they are included in the file sent from GSAK.  Odd indeed.

Just thought maybe the reason they don't show on the map is that GSAK has coded them a symbol that is different than what the 66 geocache settings will display?

I have loaded > 500K geocaches to an Oregon 6x0 with no perceived slow down, this is the beauty of the GGZ file format.

GPX vs GGZ, see GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Geocaching

GPSMAP 66 > Maps > Storage Capacity indicates the GPSMAP 66 can index up to 2000 individual GPX files. So, while geocache count is unlimited, GPX file count is, and it would be best to remove GPX files you are no longer using from the unit.

I always send non geocache waypoints as a separate file (as I do not change these or update them as frequently as the geocache files).

If you do not like the symbols used to display any of your waypoints, including the geocaches, you can change them as you desire. See GPSMAP 66 > Uber User > Custom Symbols for more information.

Edited by Atlas Cached
9 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

I may have to find a different way to do it but if I can avoid that I hope to.  I just checked and I have 59 personal waypoints in my "local" GSAK database.  Those live in the database of updating caches and get loaded on to the 60CSx everytime I send an updated db from GSAK to the unit so they are always available.  I need to have them on the 66 also so will need to either figure out why they are not showing or learn some other easy way to get them on there when I am using the local db.

I just noticed something else different about the 66 that may be related to the way it loads and stores the geocaches.   With the 60CSx, I sometimes started up an empty database and used GSAK's "receive" tool to download all caches and personal waypoints from the 60CSx to GSAK.  Then I would just edit and move the personal waypoints that came along for the ride. 

I may have better luck with these two questions asking them on the GSAK forums.  

You can have unlimited databases in GSAK, and I would suggest using a separate database for your personal waypoints. I do the same with  multiple databases for different categories of waypoints. Any time one of them is edited or updated, I just resend that database to my unit, and as I always use the same file name for the export, the old file is simply overwritten.

You have made a huge leap from the 60 series to a GPSMAP 66, and files are not accessed or treated the same way. Your old unit required a proprietary bi-directional serial data connection to access waypoints saved on the GPSr. With the MAP 66, you can simply connect it via USB, enter mass storage mode, and access all your data from the PC Explorer. I copy saved data manually from all my GPSr in this manner to a dedicated 'Raw Data' directory on my PC. I then make copies for editing and move the edited data into my favorite database software (GSAK, BaseCamp, etc.), preserving the original data in case I accidentally screw something up in the process.

Edited by Atlas Cached
1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

You can have unlimited databases in GSAK, and I would suggest using a separate database for your personal waypoints. I do the same with  multiple databases for different categories of waypoints. Any time one of them is edited or updated, I just resend that database to my unit, and as I always use the same file name for the export, the old file is simply overwritten. 

You have made a huge leap from the 60 series to a GPSMAP 66, and files are not accessed or treated the same way. Your old unit required a proprietary bi-directional serial data connection to access waypoints saved on the GPSr. With the MAP 66, you can simply connect it via USB, enter mass storage mode, and access all your data from the PC Explorer. I copy saved data manually from all my GPSr in this manner to a dedicated 'Raw Data' directory on my PC. I then make copies for editing and move the edited data into my favorite database software (GSAK, BaseCamp, etc.), preserving the original data in case I accidentally screw something up in the process.

I agree with Atlas on a separate database for your personal waypoints and that would be my first step. The name for your personal WP in the code column is not a valid geocache code and you have it mixed in with valid codes, it may be confusing the GPSr. I know it's not a 66 but I just tried this test on an Oregon 750, I sent a single waypoint named WP22 to the GPSr and it showed up as a waypoint. I renamed the code to GCWP22 and after being sent showed up as a geocache, so the name in the code column makes a difference.    

Not having used GSAK, I don't know whether or not it's the better program to manage personal waypoints. But Basecamp is great for that. And what's nice is that you can just drag the waypoints from your database and drop them into the GPS and vice versa, and delete them from either location as necessary. You can edit the points, make notes, change icons just as you would directly on the GPS. You can also make folders and organize your data as needed. For example, I have a folder called "Hikes" that I use to save my hiking tracks, and another folder called "River Trips" for my canoe and float trips. And for planning and routing, I often will trace some trails on my base map as a track and save them in their own folder to make some future trip ideas. As my folders fill, I'll make subfolders based on location to further sort. But all the data will also appear on the map to make it easy to find and select.

If you're a windows user, you'll also need Basecamp to install maps, so it's useful to have anyway. Just don't use basecamp to install and manage geocaches. It's terrible for that.

Thanks everyone.  I will read those links and look at those settings.  I will se what is up with GGZ files and whether I can have those loaded by GSAK? 

One question about the personal waypoints.  I already have many GSAK databases including one for personal waypoints so that part is good.  For the 60CSx I kept the personal waypoints integrated into the local caches database so that they would always transfer over to the 60 with the updated local caches.  This way I would also always know that my transfer stayed below the 60's point limit, (no longer an issue with the 66).  So, it seems like you all are saying that if I transfer to the 66 my GSAK database of local caches and waypoints, and then transfer over my GSAK database of personal waypoints, nothing will be overwritten?  The two files would have different names and all caches and waypoints should show up?

As a follow up to that, I am a little confused by the following.  Does not really seem right so what part do I have wrong?  Say I use GSAK to transfer over my GSAK database of local caches.  Then do the same for my GSAK database of personal waypoints.  if I then transferred over either of those GSAK database again, the original files transferred previously would be overwritten?  This is why nothing ever really needs to be deleted on the 66?  But what if I then transferred over a 3rd database of caches not in my local area.  Would I then have 3 databases on the 66?  If so, then I would probably want to delete one or another at some point?

Yes. The 66 will read multiple GPX or GGZ files. So if you travel, you add a new file of caches for that area, and you can delete the file from your device after you return home.

One caveat. I've found that if using GGZ files, it's best not to have any overlap - caches in one file should not also appear in the other. In theory it's not an issue but on my Oregon, it has caused some slowdown as the device tries to read the same cache with two different indexes. With GPX files, this is not an issue. If a cache appears in multiple GPX files, it only gets indexed once by the device. 

I have a smart folder that includes all unfound active caches from my db within 120 miles of my home location. There are ~ 8000 caches and I export this as a GGZ file to my device weekly after updating pq's and remaining caches via API. If I'm travelling just outside of this area, I simply increase the radius of the smart folder to include the area that I'm heading to. If I'm travelling farther away, but still in state, I might swap over to just a state-level folder (unfortunately iCaching doesn't allow filtering by distance from a location other than your home location). But if I'm headed east to visit family, I'll keep my 120 mile "near home" file and add a file containing the states that I'll be in. iCaching doesn't do multiple databases very well, if at all, so I'm stuck with a giant database with either manual or smart folders that I manage for various needs.

Prior to using iCaching, I was just working with PQ files directly, updating ~6 of them for my local area weekly and installing the GPX files directly to my device. Because PQ searches are circular from a central point, there was a lot of overlap. But GPX files get indexed by the device on startup so the contents of each file are cross-referenced by GC code and when there are duplicates, only one instance gets indexed. In contrast, GGZ files are indexed upon creation of the file and the index included in the GGZ file itself. The GPS need only copy this index without needing to read the contents of the file on boot. Because of this, if two GGZ files contain the same geocache, that cache will have two different index values and the device will get hung up on how to access it. So it's best to use a single GGZ file if possible, or make sure your GGZ files don't overlap in any way.

Edited by Mineral2

I did not do anything with GGZ files yet but yesterday I sent my local database from GSAK to the 66 in the same way that I have always done it on the 60CSX.  Now, on the 66, in the GGZ directory there is a GGZ file that when I load it back into an empty GSAK database, is the local cache file I sent yesterday.  Any idea what happened?

@HHL I did it just to see what was in that file.  I loaded it into an empty database in GSAK just to look at it, then deleted that database.  It turns out it was the file I exported yesterday from GSAK to the 66 using the normal GPS>Send Waypoints menu tool in GSAK that I have always used to send caches to the 60CSx.  What I am wondering is why it was exported from GSAK as a GGZ file and put into the GGZ directory on the 66? Do you have any idea?  I would have thought it would just do it the same as with the 60CSx, especially since I knew nothing at point about GGZ files and had not changed any settings in GSAK.

Edit - I see now that the default settings in GSAK for the 66 are for a GGZ file so that explains it. But is it true that doing it through the GPS>Send Waypoints menu will not send child way points?

Edited by Cheminer Will
12 minutes ago, Cheminer Will said:

I did it just to see what was in that file.

OK, understand.

Mineral2 and Atlas Cached told you about differences between old units like the 60CSx and newer units like the 66 series.

You forgot to mention how you load your unit from GSAK. There are different ways with different results. Having said that: please be more specific. Thanks

Hans

NB: I'm off now here because I find these parallel posts in two forums a bit annoying.

Garmin Info on GGZ files

Edited by HHL
11 minutes ago, HHL said:

You forgot to mention how you load your unit from GSAK. There are different ways with different results. Having said that: please be more specific.

I always used the GPS>Send Waypoints menu tool in GSAK with the 60CSx.  It was suggested I not do that with the 66ST so I will try the GSAK macro "Garmin Export " instead.

1 hour ago, Cheminer Will said:

I always used the GPS>Send Waypoints menu tool in GSAK with the 60CSx.  It was suggested I not do that with the 66ST so I will try the GSAK macro "Garmin Export " instead.

File/Export/[GPX/GGZ/LOC File...]

Then use tags to modify the export

Help/Content/Special Tags

Once you get the export as you wish it to be then save the export format so you don't have to recreate it each time you load the GPSr

I use that macro exclusively to send any data from GSAK to my Garmin GPSr, be they geocaches, waypoints, etc. That macro will take a while for you to fully leverage, it is very powerful and has so many options... But works like a charm!

7 hours ago, 31BMSG said:

The name for your personal WP in the code column is not a valid geocache code and you have it mixed in with valid codes, it may be confusing the GPSr. 

Is there a list somewhere of valid codes?  I can easily change my personal waypoints to have their own code and see if they then show up.

edit:  In the GSAK help file on adding waypoints, I found this:  Use this field to enter a code name for the new waypoint.  This could be a www.geocaching.com Cache code (GCxxxx) or Benchmark code (JSxxxx), or any user-defined code that makes sense to you.  This makes it seem that you can use anything for the code? Or do mean my codes are invalid because they need to follow a certain format like start with two letters and overall be 7 characters in length?

Edited by Cheminer Will
1 minute ago, Atlas Cached said:

I use that macro exclusively to send any data from GSAK to my Garmin GPSr, be they geocaches, waypoints, etc. That macro will take a while for you to fully leverage, it is very powerful and has so many options... But works like a charm!

I tested it out just a while ago and it seems to work fine.  I only changed a couple of things from the default though for now.

Ok, I think maybe we're on to something. If GSAK sent your database over as a GGZ file rather than GPX, that could be why you aren't seeing any waypoints.

Someone help and confirm, but does the GGZ file format only work with geocaches, or is it widely compatible with waypoints (and tracks and routes)? On iCaching, there's no way to export a GGZ file with child waypoints - it only allows for geocaches only. So if that's true of GSAK as well, then we've found why your personal waypoints aren't showing up in the 66. (again, I recommend using Basecamp to manage personal waypoints)

Is there a list somewhere of valid codes?  I can easily change my personal waypoints to have their own code and see if they then show up.

edit:  In the GSAK help file on adding waypoints, I found this:  Use this field to enter a code name for the new waypoint.  This could be a www.geocaching.com Cache code (GCxxxx) or Benchmark code (JSxxxx), or any user-defined code that makes sense to you.  This makes it seem that you can use anything for the code? Or do mean my codes are invalid because they need to follow a certain format like start with two letters and overall be 7 characters in length?

The help file is correct, just make sure each code is different, the code is what the database indexes on. Now after reading the last post by Mineral2 I realize you're using GZZ, I'll back out and let the experts take over. This morning was only the second time I've used GSAK to send to GPS, I normally just export a GPX file and drag it to the GPSr, one file for caches and one for waypoints. 

I tried using the Garmin export macro with the setting for including waypoints. It looked like the waypoints went ok, I just don't see them on the map or list on the 66. It may indeed be their odd codes causing trouble. I just need to find out what a valid code for my personal waypoint's might be and see if that fixes it.

I will look again but yesterday when I checked there was a waypoints gpx file but all that was in it was the one waypoint I marked on the 66. But that was before I sent the GSAK database using the garminexport macro which is supposed to send child waypoints and other waypoints if I set it correctly. The report from the macro stated they did go over so why they don't show on the map is the question. Probably simple but I will spend some time tomorrow and see if I can get it figured out.

Edited by Cheminer Will

I decided to try one more thing tonight.  I cleared out the GGZ folder on the 66.  Then I sent 39 personal waypoints as geocaches from GSAK to the 66 using the Garmin Export Macro.  The macro reported that 39 geocaches and 0 waypoints were sent.  Looking in the GGZ folder on the 66 there is indeed a new GGZ file there with a time stamp that corresponds to the time I ran the macro.  But the personal records that were sent and should be in that file, do not show on the 66 map.  They also do not show up in list results when searching on the 66 for "Geocaches" "Waypoints" or "POIs".  So for some reason they get sent over fine, but the 66 won't display them.  

As @31BMSG  said several posts back, "The name for your personal WP in the code column is not a valid geocache code".  Maybe this is the issue?  I may need to play with changing the codes of my personal waypoints to start with "WPT" and see if that helps.

So I just did that, changing the codes of 4 of my personal waypoints as shown in the attached screenshot.  Still see nothing on the 66 even though the GSAK macro says they went and there is a new GGZ file in the 66 GGX folder.  Just can't think of what it is I have wrong with my personal waypoints that is causing this.

Geocache2.PNG

Geocache3.PNG

Edited by Cheminer Will
2 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Ok, I think maybe we're on to something. If GSAK sent your database over as a GGZ file rather than GPX, that could be why you aren't seeing any waypoints.

Someone help and confirm, but does the GGZ file format only work with geocaches, or is it widely compatible with waypoints (and tracks and routes)? On iCaching, there's no way to export a GGZ file with child waypoints - it only allows for geocaches only. So if that's true of GSAK as well, then we've found why your personal waypoints aren't showing up in the 66. (again, I recommend using Basecamp to manage personal waypoints)

100% correct.

GGZ (Garmin Geocache Zip) file format does not allow for waypoints, only geocaches.

48 minutes ago, Cheminer Will said:

I decided to try one more thing tonight.  I cleared out the GGZ folder on the 66.  Then I sent 39 personal waypoints as geocaches from GSAK to the 66 using the Garmin Export Macro.  The macro reported that 39 geocaches and 0 waypoints were sent.  Looking in the GGZ folder on the 66 there is indeed a new GGZ file there with a time stamp that corresponds to the time I ran the macro.  But the personal records that were sent and should be in that file, do not show on the 66 map.  They also do not show up in list results when searching on the 66 for "Geocaches" "Waypoints" or "POIs".  So for some reason they get sent over fine, but the 66 won't display them.  

As @31BMSG  said several posts back, "The name for your personal WP in the code column is not a valid geocache code".  Maybe this is the issue?  I may need to play with changing the codes of my personal waypoints to start with "WPT" and see if that helps.

So I just did that, changing the codes of 4 of my personal waypoints as shown in the attached screenshot.  Still see nothing on the 66 even though the GSAK macro says they went and there is a new GGZ file in the 66 GGX folder.  Just can't think of what it is I have wrong with my personal waypoints that is causing this.

Geocache2.PNG

Geocache3.PNG

Do not send waypoints as GGZ, this is only for geocaches.

Send waypoints as GPX, or as POI.

Maybe I am wrong, but I believe I was told that the GSAK Garmin Export Macro, which I used, exports the child waypoints and any other waypoints s as POIs and that those POIs should show up on the map of the 66.  The options in the macro do have a couple of choices that indicate that.  So at the very least, I would think I would find child waypoints on the map of the 66, but they are not there either.

What makes a record a geocache vs a waypoint from standpoint of GSAK and the 66?  

Edited by Cheminer Will

So I settled this to the point at least that I know what I need to do to get everything on the 66st and showing up on the map.

Geocaches need to go by themselves, (no waypoints or anything, only normal geocaches from geocaching.com.  These can be sent using GSAK and the garminexpress macro, as a GGZ file.

Other waypoints like my personal waypoints need to go by themselves also.  They do not load properly for me from GSAK using the garminexpress macro, even with the macro settings changed to what I think is correct to send them as waypoints in a GPX file, not GGZ. It is possible I have some setting wrong in the macro that is preventing them from correctly transferring, but I could not get them on the 66 with it.  So I transferred these waypoints using the regular GSAK menu tool GPS>Send Waypoints and sending them as waypoints, not geocaches.  Then they show up on the 66 on the map and in whatever lists they should. But now I need to work on getting the symbols for these waypoints displayed in a better manner. They all show up as closed, yellow treasure chests. 

7 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

So I settled this to the point at least that I know what I need to do to get everything on the 66st and showing up on the map.

Geocaches need to go by themselves, (no waypoints or anything, only normal geocaches from geocaching.com.  These can be sent using GSAK and the garminexpress macro, as a GGZ file.

Other waypoints like my personal waypoints need to go by themselves also.  They do not load properly for me from GSAK using the garminexpress macro, even with the macro settings changed to what I think is correct to send them as waypoints in a GPX file, not GGZ. It is possible I have some setting wrong in the macro that is preventing them from correctly transferring, but I could not get them on the 66 with it.  So I transferred these waypoints using the regular GSAK menu tool GPS>Send Waypoints and sending them as waypoints, not geocaches.  Then they show up on the 66 on the map and in whatever lists they should. But now I need to work on getting the symbols for these waypoints displayed in a better manner. They all show up as closed, yellow treasure chests. 

That is the 'generic' symbol for a geocache, which suggest to me that all of your geocaches/waypoints in GSAK are labeled with the symbol "Geocache".

Again, read carefully all the information at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Uber User > Custom Symbols for some insight. There is a list of allowed geocache symbol names there, and your GSAK database needs to use these names for each type of geocache for them to be displayed with each unique symbol. I think most, if not all of your trouble is with your GSAK database, and all the changes you have manually made to your waypoints and geocaches there.

Edited by Atlas Cached
8 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

Maybe I am wrong, but I believe I was told that the GSAK Garmin Export Macro, which I used, exports the child waypoints and any other waypoints s as POIs and that those POIs should show up on the map of the 66.  The options in the macro do have a couple of choices that indicate that.  So at the very least, I would think I would find child waypoints on the map of the 66, but they are not there either.

What makes a record a geocache vs a waypoint from standpoint of GSAK and the 66?  

1. You are correct, the Garmin Export Macro can do this. If you are not seeing them on your GPSMAP 66 after export, you likely have something set wrong in GSAK. Do you have any GPI files in the POI directory? Are they listed in a POI list? or a Waypoint list? If so, but not on the map, you likely have map zoom settings that need to be adjusted on the GPSMAP 66.

2. The XML code in the GPX file. <sym></sym> determines which symbol is used to display the waypoint, and <type></type> determine the geocache type when <sym>Geocache</sym>.

Edited by Atlas Cached

In GSAK, I use "GPS" -> "Send Waypoints" with my 64S. All of the caches are in a GGZ file in the GGZ filder. All of the child waypoints are in the POI folder in separate sub-files. On the unit, they are in "Extras", with each type in a separate sub-menu.

I looked at the Garmin Export Macro but decided that Send Waypoints already does everything I need it to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

4 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Again, read carefully all the information at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Uber User > Custom Symbols for some insight. There is a list of allowed geocache symbol names there, and your GSAK database needs to use these names for each type of geocache for them to be displayed with each unique symbol. I think most, if not all of your trouble is with your GSAK database, and all the changes you have manually made to your waypoints and geocaches there.

Thanks - I'll work on this for a bit now and see if I make progress.  On the one hand, I think you may be right that my symbol issue has less to do with the 66 and more about something in my GSAK setup.  On the other hand, if that was the case, I would think I would see the same problem with the 60CSx as I did the transfer a couple of times with GSAK set up and used the same way to send caches to both units.  And after doing that, on the 66, the tiny green icon was displayed for unfound caches and on the 60CSx it was the larger yellow chest.

I looked at the GPSrChive link you posted yesterday and interestingly did not see either the yellow treasure chest or the tiny green/blue container in their list of "existing" symbols for the 66.  That would seem to indicate those are both coming from GSAK and not part of the default set on the 66.  On the GSAK forum, I got a few answers specifically to a question about the icons/symbols used by GSAK so I will look into what was offered there and see what I can figure out.

Edited by Cheminer Will
10 minutes ago, Cheminer Will said:

Thanks - I'll work on this for a bit now and see if I make progress.  On the one hand, I think you may be right that my symbol issue has less to do with the 66 and more about something in my GSAK setup.  On the other hand, if that was the case, I would think I would see the same problem with the 60CSx as I did the transfer a couple of times with GSAK set up and used the same way to send caches to both units.  And after doing that, on the 66, the tiny green icon was displayed for unfound caches and on the 60CSx it was the larger yellow chest.

I looked at the GPSrChive link you posted yesterday and interestingly did not see either the yellow treasure chest or the tiny green/blue container in their list of "existing" symbols for the 66.  That would seem to indicate those are both coming from GSAK and not part of the default set on the 66.  On the GSAK forum, I got a few answers specifically to a question about the icons/symbols used by GSAK so I will look into what was offered there and see what I can figure out.

As previously stated, the yellow treasure chest (closed) is the default icon for any unfound geocache. An open chest is a found geocache. These are used when no recognized <type> tag is included in the geocache XML.

Both are listed at GPSrChive.

Skip GSAK and download some geocaches on your GPSMAP 66 directly using the geocaching page, and let us know how those appear on the map and list....

Edited by Atlas Cached
6 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

As previously stated, the yellow treasure chest (closed) is the default icon for any unfound geocache. An open chest is a found geocache. These are used when no recognized <type> tag is included in the geocache XML.

Both are listed at GPSrChive.

OK, I am sure I am just somehow missing them.  I looked again at the GPSrChive page, and do not see any geocache symbols listed or the two versions of the yellow chest in any of their images of existing icons.

But if the yellow chest is the default for geocaches, then what I need to I guess is just figure out why my 66 is not using it and my 60CSx is.

Edited by Cheminer Will
3 minutes ago, Cheminer Will said:

then what I need to I guess is just figure out why my 66 is not using it and my 60CSx is.

The 66 uses several icons for every possible cache type whereas the 60 only knows waypoints and ONE symbol for geocaches.

You MUST use the Custom Symbols feature. Create a symbol like it is shown in the help files that we are linked to (PLEASE read them now) and name it Traditional Cache.bmp.

Copy that bmp file into the appropriate folder on your Garmin unit. The firmware will automatically map this custom symbol against the built in one.

Hans

10 minutes ago, Cheminer Will said:

OK, I am sure I am just somehow missing them.  I looked again at the GPSrChive page, and do not see any geocache symbols listed or the two versions of the yellow chest in any of their images of existing icons.

But if the yellow chest is the default for geocaches, then what I need to I guess is just figure out why my 66 is not using it and my 60CSx is.

Those images are the default 'waypoint symbols', not geocache symbols.

The recognized geocache symbol names are listed farther down, and vary from one device to the next.

BTW, STOP expecting your GPSMAP 66 to behave like your GPSMAP 60. That is not going to happen.

8^)

Edited by Atlas Cached