Goals For 2019

TwistedCube

What are your caching goals for next year???

Mine:

~ Get to 1000 finds

~ Hide at least a cache a month

~ Cache in at least one new state

~ Find a kayak cache

~ Make new memories

--------------------------------------------

Depending on the type of cacher you are (numbers, quality, hider, finder, etc.) yours will look different than mine. I seek favorites and strive for hiding the very best I can hide.

Hope to try hosting an event for the first time.

I will be looking at hitting 2000 finds in the new year.

I will try to complete my calendars for dates found (1) and dates placed (3).

Almost certain to add at least 5 more new countries cached in as our roving retirement continues into Europe.

Find and complete some more challenge caches and generally have fun.

I've been working on adding more geocached states this year (although I've visited all of them in the past). I've been able to add seven states this year. I only have four left, and I hope to cache in three of those next year: Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. The last one will be Alaska, but I probably won't be able to make it there for a few years.

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Ambrosia said:

I've been working on adding more geocached states this year (although I've visited all of them in the past). I've been able to add seven states this year. I only have four left, and I hope to cache in three of those next year: Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. The last one will be Alaska, but I probably won't be able to make it there for a few years.

A few years back I undertook a challenge cache that involved finding a cache in every Australian state and territory in one year. I arrived home with them all except Tasmania. Thought about it, then said blow it, I'm getting that one too. So I booked a place on the car ferry and packed my camping gear into my car and set off. If there's any chance just go find that cache in Alaska, if that's all that's left to do. Great to complete a challenge. Congratulations on the other states.

With two small kids it is not really about the numbers anymore. If I will manage to maintain my portfolio of caches and make some of them better, I'll be satisfied. 

Each year I'm planning to buy T5 gear finally, but again I won't have time to learn it, I'm afraid. 

Hosting couple of CITOs again would be nice, it's the best feeling after. 

Here are my long term goals.  I will not achieve all of them next year, but it will be fun to return to this thread in a year and see which ones I met or made progress on.

1. To find at least 250 "Challenge Caches" (212 so far).
2. Complete the Ohio History Challenge (28 old school caches down, 14 to go).

3. Complete the Ohio 360 Degree Challenge (245 degrees cached, 115 to go).
4. To find caches in contiguous counties from the Atlantic to the Pacific coast (8 counties to go).
5. To find caches in contiguous counties from the US northern border to southern border (13 counties to go).
6. To log at least 2 finds on each of the 81 Terrain & Difficulty Star combinations ("Double Fizzy" - 5 grids left).
7. To find at least two caches hidden in each month since May 2000 ("Double Jasmer" - 4 months left).
8. To find caches in all 50 US states and DC (46 down, 5 to go).
9. To find 360 virtual caches (266 down, 94 to go).
10. To find 150 letterbox hybrid caches (110 down, 40 to go).

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

1 - Not get hurt.

2 - Hopefully the landowner that owns a property that would provide an awesome 5T finally gives in.

- I've been working on them for around two years now...

3 - Not get hurt.

4 - Try to get at least a  cache a month. 

- Got an email from a new person who thought I left the hobby ...

13 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:

Here are my long term goals.  I will not achieve all of them next year, but it will be fun to return to this thread in a year and see which ones I met or made progress on.

1. To find at least 250 "Challenge Caches" (212 so far).
2. Complete the Ohio History Challenge (28 old school caches down, 14 to go).

3. Complete the Ohio 360 Degree Challenge (245 degrees cached, 115 to go).
4. To find caches in contiguous counties from the Atlantic to the Pacific coast (8 counties to go).
5. To find caches in contiguous counties from the US northern border to southern border (13 counties to go).
6. To log at least 2 finds on each of the 81 Terrain & Difficulty Star combinations ("Double Fizzy" - 5 grids left).
7. To find at least two caches hidden in each month since May 2000 ("Double Jasmer" - 4 months left).
8. To find caches in all 50 US states and DC (46 down, 5 to go).
9. To find 360 virtual caches (266 down, 94 to go).
10. To find 150 letterbox hybrid caches (110 down, 40 to go).

Wow

• Love 1

One of the things that appeals to me about geocaching is its spontaneity; a lot of my caching is a spur-of-the-moment thing, particularly now that I'm retired and don't have schedules to work it into. Setting goals kind of runs counter to that, and while there are certainly caches on my must-do-sometime list, their timing is left to when a suitable opportunity arises. That said, I'm currently sitting on 951 finds so hopefully sometime in the new year I'll reach the 1000 milestone. There are a couple of high terrain caches I'm considering for that one, but a lot will depend on how quickly I can recover from my recent knee injury, so when the time comes it'll probably just be another of those spur-of-the-moment decisions.

• Love 1

My geocaching goals for 2019:

- enjoy finding more caches while out driving backroads - see new places

- continue working our way on the local trail to the next town on foot or by bike

- introduce another friend or family member to geocaching

- move safely so I can continue to enjoy geocaching during my senior years

- maintain my geocaches so others can enjoy this hobby

Nothing big and exciting but these are the things that make geocaching fun for me!

• Helpful 1

I have no goals in terms of numbers - my perennial goal has been to continue to work towards 1000 earthcaches but that was finished last week when we traveled along the civil rights trail in Alabama.  So . . .  

To place a themed letterbox hybrid cache with a twist in a location that requires kayaking - the container was constructed over a year ago so let this be the year.

To cache in Easter Island. To find a cache near some petroglyphs east of Yellowstone.  To find a virtual at petroglyphs along a multiday canoe trip on the Green River in Utah. To return to Paoha Island (Mono Lake east of the Sierras) and find two mysteries that were placed after we kayaked-camped there.  To cache in African countries that I have not visited.  To find a virtual at the ruins of a Norse village on Orkney Islands that can only be reached at low tide.  

Except for Easter Island and a few trips to search for petroglyphs, most our planning is in the tentative stage.  But in general, my goal is always to travel, camp, explore, find petroglyph locations, ruins, standing stones, and stunning geology - and if there is a cache or two along the way then that is an added bonus.

9 minutes ago, AF2017 said:

My 2019 goals are:

- Find at least one cache per trip that I go on

- Try to find at least one cache per month

- Find caches of 6+ different types (so far I've only found Mystery Caches)

- Hide a cache

Based on your other forum posts, maybe you should try and solve some puzzle caches yourself instead of just finding  puzzle caches solved by your friends. You might discover you actually enjoy figuring them out! It can be really rewarding!

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Based on your other forum posts, maybe you should try and solve some puzzle caches yourself instead of just finding  puzzle caches solved by your friends. You might discover you actually enjoy figuring them out! It can be really rewarding!

When I say that my friend found it, I mean that we figured it out together, but she actually reached into wherever it was hidden and took it out. In many of the caches, you had to answer a question to figure out the coordinates, and I answered a couple. I understand the confusion, though. Next time you are going to comment something like this, please make sure you have the full story first. Thanks for the advice! I know you meant well :)

30 minutes ago, AF2017 said:

When I say that my friend found it, I mean that we figured it out together, but she actually reached into wherever it was hidden and took it out. In many of the caches, you had to answer a question to figure out the coordinates, and I answered a couple. I understand the confusion, though. Next time you are going to comment something like this, please make sure you have the full story first. Thanks for the advice! I know you meant well :)

Awesome!

I would have struggled to answer those questions in the field.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1

I set some geocaching goals for myself in 2018; based on how I did (pretty well, I think!) and where I am after 21 months of geocaching, here are my 2019 goals:

• Complete the 400+ streak challenge  - GC44V51 (2018 goal was a cache a day, so once I complete that, I'll only have another month to go to get this challenge complete!)
  • Hide a cache a month (or more) to give back to those who hid enough to keep our 2018 streak going.  So far I only have 5 hides, focus for 2019 will be hiding instead of finding.  I want to do some puzzles and quality traditionals.
  • Find my 2000th geocache
  • Avoid poison oak - I had 4 breakouts over the course of 2018 - so I need to be more aware of my surroundings and avoid all P.O. as I seem to be quite sensitive to it. 
  • Enjoy Geocaching!

My goals for 2019 are the following..

1. Attain 1000 multicache finds (~200 to go)

2. Complete the Wisconsin county blackout (3 counties to go) (it's not my home state)

3. Get to 1000 counties found cache in (~150 or so to go)

4. Add two countries to the found list

Only two of the four will be reasonably attainable.

One of my goals is to get my daughter interested in going geocaching with me again.  :signalviolin:  Not an easy task, since few caches around here have kid-friendly swag, and she's all about finding toys.  Maybe I should just start pocketing swag and throw some in before I let her look inside.

That aside:

- Add 2+ countries to our list

- Fill in Landkreise (county) maps for Hessen and Rheinland-Pfalz

- Log GC40 before @on4bam :laughing:

- Make our Europe map more colorful with more finds in neighboring countries -- too much orange and yellow right now.  Needs more blue and green, I think. 

Capture.JPG

(Yes, I know I can change the color scheme - but what's the challenge in that?)

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 1

We hit a couple of big goals in 2018:

1. Have more career unknown cache finds than traditional cache finds. (700 vs 684 currently)

2. More than 10% of our total finds with >100 favorite points. (189 out of 1793 currently)

3. Maintain more unknown finds than micro finds (700 vs 681 currently)

Had a few surprises:

1. Created a pair of finds from the same owner over 3000 miles apart (one find in 2017 and the other in 2018).

2. Created another pair of finds with the same owner over 2000 miles apart (one find in 2014 and the other in 2018).   

Goals for 2019:

1. Add a new country

2. Get to more than 100 career Earth cache finds.

3. Receive 3 thank you notes from trackable owners 

4. Not have a streak of more than 10 finds of the same cache type in a row 

On 12/18/2018 at 7:09 PM, AF2017 said:

My 2019 goals are:

- Find at least one cache per trip that I go on

- Try to find at least one cache per month

- Find caches of 6+ different types (so far I've only found Mystery Caches)

- Hide a cache

- Complete the Coquí Taino geoart

6 hours ago, hzoi said:

That's not a challenge :rolleyes:

Got 2 extra countries in the last 4 weeks (Argentina and Falkland Islands), me happy

2019:

Log GC40 (as previous years)

FINALLY find a cache in Luxembourg.

Get percentage of traditionals down

Find more RV caches (that's not 'recreational vehicle' but a series of caches, one in every Flemish town, Rondje Vlaanderen).

Find more "worthwhile" caches. Ignore all others.

Have fun geocaching.

Here's my stats-crazy list:

- complete the D/T grid for Large sized caches - 10 squares to go, but hopefully 8 after this week.

- complete the D/T grid for Placed (!) caches - 1 square to go: D1/T5.

- complete the D/T grid for the 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th.... 30th? time. I keep insisting that enough is enough, but you know how that goes...

- get the Emerald Head-In-The-Clouds badge for having found a cache > 3500 meters. For Diamond, I'll need to get out of Europe.

- find my 1001st Regular sized cache (for a challenge).

I met all my 2018 goals, although I only managed one cache in Belgium and you could virtually see France from it. I'd like to go back but I have no idea if I'll have a job after Easter so planning trips is on hold.

For 2019:

- keep on walking more and finding out of the way caches

- at least one a month would be nice

- maintain the caches I've hidden and think about adding to them as inspiration strikes

- find a micro cache.

I managed to go the whole of 2018 without finding a micro. Not by design, although I tend to shy away from them anyway and had found less than 20 in 2017, but it would be nice to go looking for one or two again. Not so many though!

On 12/21/2018 at 6:51 PM, on4bam said:
On 12/21/2018 at 11:59 AM, hzoi said:

That's not a challenge :rolleyes:

Hope to have this one by the end of the month, actually.  I'm working on a 7x7 challenge - 7 cache types in 7 different countries - and I should be able to make some headway in the area of GC40.  I'll send you a full report.  :bad:

29 minutes ago, BillyGee said:

To whom? To the people who hid the caches for you to find?

Dear god...leave it to the forum-crawlers to take a statement so literally.

The point was about what I would consider would make the $30 annual fee "worth it", which is 100% subjective.

Edited by J Grouchy
  • Upvote 1

I've found some caches where the experience was so incredible, I'd consider it worth the annual fee for that single cache alone.  Had a few like that last year.  Some are even worth 14 hours in economy.  (Resident Evil)

My goal for 2019 - if a generality can count as a goal - is to find more of the top-notch caches that make the whole affair worthwhile all by themselves.

• Upvote 1