Kosciusko County Indiana

Classicvibe

I want to try Geocaching but need a map on my Etrex 10. I keep seeing where people somehow load topo maps on there Etrex 10. I can't seem to figure it out. if any body out there has a topo of Kosciusko county that I can fit in my 8mb memory i would really appreciate if I could get a copy of it. Is there a local Geocaching club around the county somewhere? Sounds like fun.

I'm pretty sure this will get moved to the forums by country and then regional (Midwest) but there are no local clubs in that county.  If you're on FB, there's a local group in Ft. Wayne that might meet your needs but it's not the most active of groups on a regular basis.  New members might change that though.  Here's the name of the group - Fort Wayne and Surrounding area Geocachers.

There's also a more statewide group that's more active but it may or may not reflect the county very well.  Indiana Geocachers is that group name.

GPSfiledepot.com has free maps for download but if you plan on using them frequently, they suggest donations.  It might not have just that county available for download (I'd be surprised if it did) but it might have the state.  I just don't know if the file would be too large or not.

27 minutes ago, Bundyrumandcoke said:

Interesting that Mt Kosciuszko is Australias highest mountain peak, also named after the same Polish general. Note the slightly different spelling, with a Z added to our official place name in 1997, to reflect the correct Polish spelling. 

There is both an earthcache (GC1YH53), and a regular cache (GCNEFX), at our highest peak. 

Sigh, I couldn't find the physical cache. The dozens of muggles at the top didn't make it easier.

On 12/12/2018 at 5:24 PM, Classicvibe said:

I want to try Geocaching but need a map on my Etrex 10. I keep seeing where people somehow load topo maps on there Etrex 10. I can't seem to figure it out. if any body out there has a topo of Kosciusko county that I can fit in my 8mb memory i would really appreciate if I could get a copy of it. Is there a local Geocaching club around the county somewhere? Sounds like fun.

There's not enough memory in Etrex10 for maps. You would need to upgrade to Etrex 20 or 30 which can take removable SD cards for maps.

On 12/14/2018 at 10:13 PM, Bundyrumandcoke said:

Interesting that Mt Kosciuszko is Australias highest mountain peak, also named after the same Polish general. Note the slightly different spelling, with a Z added to our official place name in 1997, to reflect the correct Polish spelling. 

There is both an earthcache (GC1YH53), and a regular cache (GCNEFX), at our highest peak. 

Only problem is that Australians can't pronounce it properly. My best attempt is Kos-choos-ko. It is not kozzy-os-ko.