Pocket Query - Show my Finds not accurate

JROFam

Don't "set up" anything. Go to the bottom of the Pocket Query page, https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

and click the Add to Queue button under the special My Finds query.

I expect the query you are running is for "caches I've found".  That query won't return archived caches. So assuming you selected all the  states & provinces where you have finds, you now know that 45 caches you've found are archived.

Aside,  log out of these forums  and then log back in, you'll show up here as Premium Member. If you care...

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1

We have been using the My Finds query since they have set up queries.  We have the same problem for several years now our "My Finds" total finds is always 40-60 caches lower than our actual total.  This makes it very hard to keep current when we are travelling to confirm we got counties or pages before we leave an area.  Why is the query always short?  Is there anything we can do about this.  This was not a problem several years ago.  Even if we wait for a week or two with no new caches, the query still comes up short.

9 minutes ago, kcepenn said:

our "My Finds" total finds is always 40-60 caches lower than our actual total

The "My Finds" PQ does not contain LabCaches. You've found 53 LCs at the very moment which might explain the difference.

Hans

That may be true, but all the counties we just found in NY last month still do now show even though we just ran the "my Finds" this morning and updated our page through mygeocachingprrofile.com just an hour ago.  Why don't the maps update properly then?  Any ideas on that.

2 hours ago, kcepenn said:

That may be true, but all the counties we just found in NY last month still do now show even though we just ran the "my Finds" this morning and updated our page through mygeocachingprrofile.com just an hour ago.  Why don't the maps update properly then?  Any ideas on that.

Sounds like an issue with mygeocachingprofile.com, but it's hard to diagnose the problem without seeing what you're seeing after you upload your My Finds PQ to the site.

Is missing counties the only issue you're seeing?

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, noncentric said:

Sounds like an issue with mygeocachingprofile.com, but it's hard to diagnose the problem without seeing what you're seeing after you upload your My Finds PQ to the site.

Is missing counties the only issue you're seeing?

If it is,  it is worth noting that the results of pocket query does not include county information.  There isn't a field in the string which indicates the county in which each cache is in.  Sites which display counties on a map do so but taking the lat/long coordinates of each find then reverse geocoding the location to determine the place names where the cache is located.  mygeocachingprofile  is using a third party geocoding service (e..g  geonames) to obtain county names.  These services have usage limits that might be exceeded and result in missing county information ones statistics.

• Helpful 1

Hi, Cameron here from mygeocachingprofile.com - I'm happy to help troubleshoot with any discrepancies with total Find counts or misidentified/missing counties.  Like some others posted, 1) you always have to make sure you're using the "My Finds" PQ button provided by geocaching.com as opposed to building a pocket query to try to capture all your finds.  The "My Finds" PQ does not have a cache limit, but built PQs do.  2) As another posted, Lab Caches are not included in PQs... mygeocachingprofile.com has an option where you can manually enter them so they count toward your total finds, milestones, etc.  3)  Mygeocachingprofile.com figures out counties on it's own using special maps from the US Census... they certainly can be wrong from time to time but I can fix any problems once I know about them.

If you're having any problems or just questions, shoot me an email at contactus@mygeocachingprofile.com.  I respond to every email and almost always can get a problem resolved.  Thanks all!  

• Helpful 2
On 5/19/2019 at 7:33 PM, kcepenn said:

Why don't the maps update properly then?  Any ideas on that.

Could be an issue of a cached image in your browser.  Try refreshing the page and see if the county maps display correctly.

Otherwise, if you are seeing issues with mygeocachingprofile, the post above mine might be the best place to get help.