You might be a geocacher if

SniperTrifle

On 12/15/2018 at 4:07 PM, CTheExplorer said:

You FINALLY get some time to yourself, but instead of resting, reading, watching the last 5 Dr Who episodes you've missed...you instead drive 40 min away and hike for 2 hrs on a 35c day to get 8 caches.

A couple of days ago some local cachers went out on a 40c+  day to do a 20 cache series. Whew. I did the same series a few days before but it was only 35c.

It's Sunday afternoon, the NFL playoffs are on TV, it's pouring rain and windy outside, you have a cold and can't breath or taste anything, but you have 372 consecutive days caching towards a 400 day challenge.  What's a geocacher to do?  Drive the 8 miles to the closest, easiest park n grab cache that was placed on 1/1/19 (conveniently!), and keep the streak alive!  

2 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

It's Sunday afternoon, the NFL playoffs are on TV, it's pouring rain and windy outside, you have a cold and can't breath or taste anything, but you have 372 consecutive days caching towards a 400 day challenge.  What's a geocacher to do?  Drive the 8 miles to the closest, easiest park n grab cache that was placed on 1/1/19 (conveniently!), and keep the streak alive!  

Go out and find 28 then go back to bed??

4 minutes ago, colleda said:

Go out and find 28 then go back to bed??

Nah, we found 1, then came home and now I'm drinking a warm eggnog spiked with a bit of spiced rum.  Tomorrow is another day!  We've done this whole thing one day at a time, and we'll continue barring any major disasters.

Besides, logging a find on a day we didn't actually find it?  Why, that would be cheating!  :o

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Nah, we found 1, then came home and now I'm drinking a warm eggnog spiked with a bit of spiced rum.  Tomorrow is another day!  We've done this whole thing one day at a time, and we'll continue barring any major disasters.

181 day streak since i retired last July.  Yes.  I've saved up a number of local C&Ds for rainy days, like yesterday.  Someday,I will run out of easy local caches.  Though I did do a three mile, ten cache, hike today.

11 hours ago, noncentric said:

You choose a layover airport that has a Virtual cache in it, even though choosing a different layover airport would result in a shorter total travel time.

Been there, done that.  RWY42 cache in Frankfurt, Germany.  For the return trip, instead of flying to Paris then back to the U.S (the shortest total travel time),  I took a four hour train ride to Barcelona, stayed overnight two nights before flying back to the states.  

For a very long trip I generally prefer longer travel times, and a layover long enough that I can get out and find a cache or two, rather than fly for 6-8 hours with a 2 hour layover before getting on another 6-8 hour flight.  I have on several occasions chosen a flight itinerary with an overnight layover if it's in a country in which I haven't found a cache.  For a trip to Berlin, I scheduled an overnight layover in Copenhagen and Helsinki on the way home.

14 hours ago, noncentric said:

You choose a layover airport that has a Virtual cache in it, even though choosing a different layover airport would result in a shorter total travel time.

Sounds like my one find in Illinois, found during a layover on my way from San Antonio back to Germany.  I thought I was pretty clever...until the snow started.  Thankfully my flight made it out!

21 hours ago, hzoi said:

Sounds like my one find in Illinois, found during a layover on my way from San Antonio back to Germany.  I thought I was pretty clever...until the snow started.  Thankfully my flight made it out!

For my first find in Illinois, rather than fly to Champaign, Illinois where I was attending a small conference, I flew to Indianapolis (which has a lower air fare) and rented a car.  As a result I was able to find caches in Illinois and Indiana.  I'm still kicking myself for not attempting any of IndyMagicMans Shelter caches.

On 12/11/2018 at 8:44 PM, Korichnovui said:

You might be a geocacher if you're more interested in a store's parking lot than the store itself.

Have to admit, when I pull into a parking spot and the light has a skirt or are near a gaurdrail - I will pull up the app just to make sure.....

• Upvote 4