How Do I Cut Up a Quote?

Cheminer Will

This is a "how do I" for the forum not geocaching itself, but....  If I want to quote a long reply and respond to it part by part, how do I make the long quote into several shorter quotes so that I can answer each specifically?  I have seen it done many times here and on other forums, but I am just missing how to do it.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Cheminer Will said:

This is a "how do I" for the forum not geocaching itself, but....

Another way to do it is to quote the entire message, then go to the end of the line where you want to break the quote into the first piece.

If I want to quote a long reply and respond to it part by part,

If the point where you want to break the quote into pieces is not the end of a line, then first add a newline, then go to the end of the line where you want to break the quote into pieces.

how do I make the long quote into several shorter quotes so that I can answer each specifically?

Once the cursor is at the end of the line, add two more newlines.

I have seen it done many times here and on other forums, but I am just missing how to do it.  Thanks.

The message editor will break the quote and let you add a response.

This doesn't allow you to mix-and-match quotes from different messages though. If you want to do that, then you have to use the other technique, as described by Touchstone.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Another method is to simply hit the "Quote" option at the bottom of a post, then click on the directional sign at the upper left of the quoted section, copy-and-paste. Then I'll just cut whatever parts I need to from each of those quoted sections.

image.png.353623f0f555a3e1bee5e75515b20b5e.png

8 hours ago, niraD said:

This doesn't allow you to mix-and-match quotes from different messages though. If you want to do that, then you have to use the other technique, as described by Touchstone.

I've used a different method.  If I want to quote different messages, then I just use the Multi-quote "+" sign at the bottom of each post.  I'll "plus" a few posts, then hit the "Quote x posts" button that appears at the lower right of the browser window.  I then just delete whatever text in those quotes isn't relevant to what I'm replying to.

image.png.69d53bb4f7b851ff2a8c0a5e4e79a72b.png

23 hours ago, niraD said:

Once the cursor is at the end of the line, add two more newlines.

The message editor will break the quote and let you add a response.

Ah!  That much I did not know. I've been selected-quoting (which also keeps attribution correct ifyou block prior quote sections).  Double-enter is a new tip, thanks.

• Upvote 2