5 new country souvenirs (2018)

Max and 99

7 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Sounds like you don't like past tourists having the souvenir and it should be harder for foreigners to get. Fortunately it was done fairer.

No, I was addressing those in a hurry to see the souvenirs.  There is also a background process that will take longer.

You are sure eager to assign bad motives to everyone who posts, aren't you? Maybe a little self-reflection could help with that.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Germany, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and the U.S. all have "state" (or there equivalent) souvenirs.  Germany, Canada, and Australia, and now the U.S. all have country level souvenirs (but I didn't see any "complaints" about having both country and states souvenirs until now).  Ireland still only has it's regional souvenirs.  

I still have 8 countries in which I"ve found a cache which don't have a souvenir and will only get the one for the U.S. in this years batch.   I had heard a rumor that GS was working with a 3rd party to release souvenirs for the rest of the countries but it looks like we're only going to get these five this year. 

I'm sure you're right, but I don't see Australia  listed under Country Souvenirs. The list could use an update anyway. 

I apologize for the time that it has taken to get everyone's USA souvenir awarded. We ran into some technical issues that we haven't run into with other souvenirs because of the large number of souvenirs that needed to be awarded this time around. It took a few iterations to update the background process, but we are very close to having all of the souvenirs awarded. 

• Helpful 2
42 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm sure you're right, but I don't see Australia  listed under Country Souvenirs. The list could use an update anyway. 

Although it's not the "official" souvenirs list, the A-Team souvenirs page (https://thea-team.net/souvenir)  is generally very up-to-date (though they haven't yet added the 5 most recent souvenirs).  

1 minute ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Although it's not the "official" souvenirs list, the A-Team souvenirs page (https://thea-team.net/souvenir)  is generally very up-to-date (though they haven't yet added the 5 most recent souvenirs).  

Would you mind pointing me to the "official" list that you are referring to?

8 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Germany, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and the U.S. all have "state" (or there equivalent) souvenirs.  Germany, Canada, and Australia, and now the U.S. all have country level souvenirs (but I didn't see any "complaints" about having both country and states souvenirs until now).  Ireland still only has it's regional souvenirs.  

I still have 8 countries in which I"ve found a cache which don't have a souvenir and will only get the one for the U.S. in this years batch.   I had heard a rumor that GS was working with a 3rd party to release souvenirs for the rest of the countries but it looks like we're only going to get these five this year. 

Not Australia, or at least I don't have an Australian souvenir. I have all the states though.

1 hour ago, fizzymagic said:

No, I was addressing those in a hurry to see the souvenirs.  There is also a background process that will take longer.

You are sure eager to assign bad motives to everyone who posts, aren't you? Maybe a little self-reflection could help with that. 

I can only see what your mean, by what you write. And you wrote it.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

I said it was stupid to have both, either a country or states / regions. Whereby I would say a country is enough.

A country may be an independent sovereign state or part of a larger state (Wikipedia). I don't see an issue having a souvenir both for a state (Washington) which is part of a larger federation and the federation itself (USA). Things are somewhat fuzzy anyway, think Puerto Rico. Actually I wouldn't mind having a souvenir for the European Union as well sometime in the future. :)

Also, this is just a game.

Edited by eigengott
4 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I just looked at your profile and you do have it, sitting in between 31 Days of Caching (31 of 31) and the ACT one.

Yes I know. I do now, but I didn't then :) (I mentioned this on the previous page, but understandable, we don't always read all the comments.)

Edited by Goldenwattle
6 hours ago, HiddenGnome said:

Once the souvenir is awarded the background process that is currently running will not update the "award" date to the earliest log date.

That would have been nice to get a warning to wait after having the souvenir awarded before logging cache so the date on the souvenir would match with the earliest find...

1 hour ago, Lynx Humble said:

That would have been nice to get a warning to wait after having the souvenir awarded before logging cache so the date on the souvenir would match with the earliest find...

Now that the script has finished running, everyone should have the correct date on these retroactively-awarded souvenirs.

2 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

Now that the script has finished running, everyone should have the correct date on these retroactively-awarded souvenirs.

My USA souvenir is showing as awarded 12/10/2018 - when my first US cache was the day I started caching in March of 2017.  Not a big deal, since the souvenir was not available till 12/10/18, but I would have earned it with the first cache I found, as I earned the CA souvenir with that same cache.

5 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

FWIW the dates on my location based souvenirs for existing country souvenirs seems to be always the date of logging and not the date of the first find.

I couldn't care less about souvenirs and I will not contact GS to adjust my dates individually but since at least the location based souvenirs are somehow informative to me I would appreciate if in the long run these dates could be adjusted.

Edited by Hynz
spelling

Mine is dated for my first US find. Odd that there are so many variant reports from people. Curious how the date is determined in the retroactive reward script. It really shouldn't be hard. Log date of the first Found It log on a cache located within the country.  Not even sure how any other date could sneak in there.

55 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Not even sure how any other date could sneak in there.

Possibly:

1. 10 years ago I find my first cache in the USA.
  2. New Souvenir is enabled yesterday.
  3. Script is started which will go and retrospectively award the Souvenir to all cachers who already qualify, dated for the first qualifying find.
  4. I log a find on a cache in the USA, and that find gets me the Souvenir dated now.
  5. The script in 3. eventually gets round to cachers with names starting with M, but as I already have the souvenir  it doesn't overwrite the date with my find from 10 years ago.

A tweak in the script functionality may have been required. It's likely that this wasn't a problem previously as the script would have run much quicker for smaller countries, so less likelyhood of the overlapping of 3 & 4.

Edited by MartyBartfast
  • Helpful 1

Well, yeah, if there's an overlap between being awarded the souvenir for a new log and the script retroactively awarding it. Is that the only instance of wrong dates though? From what I inferred it has happened with people who haven't logged anything new but still have the wrong date applied.  Maybe I read incorrectly.

1 hour ago, MartyBartfast said:

Possibly:

3. Script is started which will go and retrospectively award the Souvenir to all cachers who already qualify, dated for the first qualifying find.
  4. I log a find on a cache in the USA, and that find gets me the Souvenir dated now. (Apparently this is my situation)
  5. The script in 3. eventually gets round to cachers with names starting with M, but as I already have the souvenir  it doesn't overwrite the date with my find from 10 years ago. (My name starts with C, but since I am logging finds every day, I still beat the script and was awarded the souvenir on 12/10/18 based on a "Found it" log.)

A tweak in the script functionality may have been required. It's likely that this wasn't a problem previously as the script would have run much quicker for smaller countries, so less likelyhood of the overlapping of 3 & 4.

Ah, well.  All my caching has been in the US except for a couple in Mexico we just got in October.  Not a concern for me when it's dated, but I can see others wanting the dates accurate!

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Ah, well.  All my caching has been in the US except for a couple in Mexico we just got in October.  Not a concern for me when it's dated, but I can see others wanting the dates accurate!

I'm all for accurate dates too, especially if it showed a different date for my first find in a U.S. State and the U.S. Country souvenirs.  I hadn't found any caches since the U.S. country souvenir was released but it's now in my profile with the same date as my first find in 2007.

3 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

Possibly:

4. I log a find on a cache in the USA, and that find gets me the Souvenir dated now.
  5. The script in 3. eventually gets round to cachers with names starting with M, but as I already have the souvenir  it doesn't overwrite the date with my find from 10 years ago.

It didn't run fast enough for when they awarded Canada last year because I got caught doing 4 before 3.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

My USA souvenir is showing as awarded 12/10/2018 - when my first US cache was the day I started caching in March of 2017.  Not a big deal, since the souvenir was not available till 12/10/18, but I would have earned it with the first cache I found, as I earned the CA souvenir with that same cache.

My mistake - I thought that there was a second script that was taking care of those accounts that logged a find in the USA while the lengthy initial awarding script was running. There was not. So, what happened in your case (and others like it) is that you logged a find in the US before the script got to you, and as a result you were awarded the souvenir for the time of that find rather than the time of your first-ever find in the US.

I just provided our dev team with a list of the accounts that were awarded the souvenir with more than a day's difference between award date and earned date. Hopefully they will be able to address the 2.7k or so accounts that were so affected.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/12/2018 at 9:29 PM, CAVinoGal said:
  On 12/12/2018 at 1:15 PM, Moun10Bike said:

I just provided our dev team with a list of the accounts that were awarded the souvenir with more than a day's difference between award date and earned date. Hopefully they will be able to address the 2.7k or so accounts that were so affected.

My souvenir is still showing 12/10/18; the correct "earned" date should be the date of my first find, 3/9/17.  Not a huge deal, just curious if this will be resolved?