5 new country souvenirs (2018)

Max and 99

I like the idea of new country souvenirs - I will qualify for two of these immediately. It is however, anti-climatic. When you earn something it is a reward when you achieve. When you qualify for one in the last year, and the other seven years ago, not so much. I'll likely look at them once.

A good idea would be to have a souvenir designed for each and every of the two hundred some odd countries listed on GC.com, and they will feel like a goal, and then a reward. Just saying!

Thanks anyway!

45 minutes ago, fizzymagic said:

I would imagine that your USA souvenir will appear the next time you log a cache in the USA.  Thst's how I would implement it.

Yup.  Logged a cache today, got the souvenir.  Only fourteen years after my first find in the US of A!  Though it says I earned it today, not 07/03/2004.

Edited by Harry Dolphin
Update
1 hour ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Yup.  Logged a cache today, got the souvenir.  Only fourteen years after my first find in the US of A!  Though it says I earned it today, not 07/03/2004.

I got the same issue when they released the Canada one last year. It say 2017 but I began in 2015.

It's nice they finally added some country souvenir but they will finish around 2050 at that rate...

Edited by Lynx Humble
More info
3 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I still want souvenirs for, Hong Kong, New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji. All places well frequented by tourists. Hong Kong also has a of of geocaches.

Groundspeak's popularity contest (choosing popular countries) is so arbitrary, I can't take it seriously, and it wouldn't change anything for me if Hong Kong was finally anointed.

(I enjoy Hong Kong trail caching so much, I now go annually, willing to suffer fourteen hours in economy, without needing the incentive.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

My USA souvenir showed up today, when I logged a cache today.  The date shows I acquired it today, 12/10/2018. Seems a bit redundant, to me, but whatever.  SInce each STATE has a souvenir, seems the COUNTRY is a given.  Not all countries have "states" - or souvenirs for different regions, just the country.  Do other countries have regional/state/territory/etc souvenirs, or is that a US thing?

So someone new to the US finds one cache and gets 2 souvenirs - one for the US (Country) and one for the state?  Cool!

1 minute ago, CAVinoGal said:

My USA souvenir showed up today, when I logged a cache today.

That's a long flight for me to log a cache, if that is necessary. During a trip to the US I found 229 caches, but this souvenir does not appear to be retrospective at present.

" Do other countries have regional/state/territory/etc souvenirs, or is that a US thing? "

Australia has souvenirs for each of it's states and mainland territories. It would be nice though to have the states split up on the maps to show the cache finds for each state, as Australia is a large place and it can be a long drive to log a cache in another state/territory. I drove 12,000kms return to log my first Western Australian cache. (Okay, I could have picked a shorter route, but still many thousands of kms.)

10 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I notice the US states now have 'state' after them, eg Hawaii State.

I still don't have a USA souvenir, or is this not retrospective.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for mine too.  I have a couple Drafts to log, so I expect the USA souvenir will show up after I submit my next log.

8 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

My USA souvenir showed up today, when I logged a cache today.  The date shows I acquired it today, 12/10/2018. Seems a bit redundant, to me, but whatever.  SInce each STATE has a souvenir, seems the COUNTRY is a given.  Not all countries have "states" - or souvenirs for different regions, just the country.  Do other countries have regional/state/territory/etc souvenirs, or is that a US thing?

So someone new to the US finds one cache and gets 2 souvenirs - one for the US (Country) and one for the state?  Cool!

Yes - Germany and Canada already work similarly.  Find a cache in a German Bundeslander(?) and you'll get that regional souvenir, as well as the Germany country souvenir.  Same with Canada and their provinces.

10 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Canada and Germany also have country and region souvenirs.

1 minute ago, Goldenwattle said:

That's a long flight for me to log a cache, if that is necessary. During a trip to the US I found 229 caches, but this souvenir does not appear to be retrospective at present.

I suspect you will see the souvenir after your next logged cache, even if that cache is not in the US. Let us know if that happens.

2 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Yes - Germany and Canada already work similarly.  Find a cache in a German Bundeslander(?) and you'll get that regional souvenir, as well as the Germany country souvenir.  Same with Canada and their provinces.

Wow - your right. I live in Germany and never knew that there were both, but I still think its stupid having both.

4 minutes ago, speakers-corner said:

Wow - your right. I live in Germany and never knew that there were both, but I still think its stupid having both.

Some might also consider it "stupid" to have a country souvenir named "Washington" or "Brandenburg" or "Hessen" or "Alberta" or "Queensland".  After all, those are not countries.

3 minutes ago, speakers-corner said:

I said it was stupid to have both, either a country or states / regions. Whereby I would say a country is enough.

Yes, but can you imagine the uproar if "country souvenirs" were standardized and all the state/province/bundeslander souvenirs were removed?  They already started those long ago, so there's no going back.

43 minutes ago, noncentric said:
55 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I notice the US states now have 'state' after them, eg Hawaii State.

I still don't have a USA souvenir, or is this not retrospective.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for mine too.  I have a couple Drafts to log, so I expect the USA souvenir will show up after I submit my next log.

Or maybe it just takes time.  I didn't see the USA souvenir when I checked 20 minutes ago, but just checked again and see it now.  Logging a cache might've sped up the process, but is apparently not required to get the retroactive souvenir.  Just have to wait.

BTW - the date of my souvenir is the date of my first USA cache find, not today's date.

5 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

" Do other countries have regional/state/territory/etc souvenirs, or is that a US thing? "

Australia has souvenirs for each of it's states and mainland territories. It would be nice though to have the states split up on the maps to show the cache finds for each state, as Australia is a large place and it can be a long drive to log a cache in another state/territory. I drove 12,000kms return to log my first Western Australian cache. (Okay, I could have picked a shorter route, but still many thousands of kms.)

Germany, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and the U.S. all have "state" (or there equivalent) souvenirs.  Germany, Canada, and Australia, and now the U.S. all have country level souvenirs (but I didn't see any "complaints" about having both country and states souvenirs until now).  Ireland still only has it's regional souvenirs.  

I still have 8 countries in which I"ve found a cache which don't have a souvenir and will only get the one for the U.S. in this years batch.   I had heard a rumor that GS was working with a 3rd party to release souvenirs for the rest of the countries but it looks like we're only going to get these five this year. 

14 hours ago, fizzymagic said:

I would imagine that your USA souvenir will appear the next time you log a cache in the USA.  Thst's how I would implement it.

For all other region based souvenirs they have been retroactively awarded.   As much as I enjoyed my visit, I'm glad that I didn't have to spend two days flying  to Malaysia again  to acquire the souvenir.