Spoiler Pics

Rebore

31 minutes ago, Rebore said:

I've noticed an uprise of spoiler pics in logs in the last months. I don't care much aboiut it, but owners mightn get pissed.

Is it just a local phenomenon or is this a worldwide trend?

Spoiler pics: have not seen an increase but still seeing them. Why aren't the COs removing them?

Siler pics are another story altogether. ?

34 minutes ago, Rebore said:

I've noticed an uprise of spoiler pics in logs in the last months. I don't care much aboiut it, but owners mightn get pissed.

We see this once-in-a-while, usually with new folks and phones (who doesn't take pics with phones these days...), but not really an issue here.

That's what maintenance is for...

We see more new folks leaving the "helpful spoiler"  ("It's on the fence") in their Found It log than posting pics.     :)

44 minutes ago, Rebore said:

Are you noticing these siler spoiler pics are coming from new cachers or from cachers that have been in the hobby for a while?  If the former, then that's probably the reason. I've noticed the newer cachers are more likely to post pics, or even describe the hiding spot in their online logs. It seems like cachers that have been participating in the hobby for a while have a better understanding of what "spoilers" are, and so are less likely to spoil caches.

29 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Why aren't the COs removing them?

No bonus - no effort.

17 minutes ago, niraD said:

How would the COs know that anyone had uploaded a spoiler pic (or any pic) to a log?

By buying that service from 3th party like PGC as I do. Another problem is modifications to log text.There is no notification for that either without using 3th party services.

I've found that the "Latest Activity" section of the 'new' Dashboard page to be a helpful tool for seeing whether photos and/or FP's have been submitted with finders' logs on my caches. I set that section to "Your Hides / Owner" and I can scroll through to quickly spot which logs have a photo, then view the photo from there. Clicking on the the photo icon in the image below will expand the area and thumbnails of the photos will appear, which can then be clicked on for full size images.

As long as finders attach the photos within the timeframe of that view (I think it's 1 or 2 weeks?) then I'll be able to see it there.

image.png.b5a183e90a43de7d02e4a1b394a8b361.png

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
19 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Spoiler pics: have not seen an increase but still seeing them. Why aren't the COs removing them?

Siler pics are another story altogether. ?

Heavens, I read your answer and thought "What the heck are siler pics?" before I noticed my typo. Bad keyboard! Go to your room! :)

At least I didn't write "Soiler Pics".

I've looked a bit closer, and indeed most of the spoilers are from newbies. One of them is from the owner who attached it to a maintainance log, but didn't add it to the listing.

So I guess it was just a coincidence that I stumbled over this a few times in a row.

Edited by Rebore
  • Upvote 1

There have been a few newbies that find my caches and say something like: "Here's a little helpful 'hint', (notice the quotation marks)  go to the metal building and look under the 5th green sign to your right and you will see nine bolts, the second one from the left is the container, here are a few pictures with red circles around them to show you where you need to go, and a link to a YouTube video showing step-by-step where this g-o-cash (hehe) is! 

Nothing that extreme, but stuff like that happens all the time to me. 

4 hours ago, TwistedCube said:

There have been a few newbies that find my caches and say something like: "Here's a little helpful 'hint', (notice the quotation marks)  go to the metal building and look under the 5th green sign to your right and you will see nine bolts, the second one from the left is the container, here are a few pictures with red circles around them to show you where you need to go, and a link to a YouTube video showing step-by-step where this g-o-cash (hehe) is! 

Nothing that extreme, but stuff like that happens all the time to me. 

Yep, I've contacted several newbies and explained that spoilers are not generally welcome.  A few have thanked me and deleted their photos/edited their logs.  A few I have deleted their logs.  Most have never been heard from again.  

On 12/9/2018 at 12:48 PM, niraD said:
On 12/9/2018 at 12:36 PM, Max and 99 said:

Why aren't the COs removing them?

How would the COs know that anyone had uploaded a spoiler pic (or any pic) to a log?

I occasionally visit my owned caches and check the galleries. Even for EXIF info with embedded GPS data.

IMO, since as finders we aren't required to view the gallery, if a CO either chooses to remove or ignores spoiler pics in galleries of their own caches, then I take the risk of seeing spoilers if I choose to view the gallery. There's no rule against spoiler pics. It's ultimately up to the CO. If I hate seeing spoiler pics, my course of action will always be to avoid the photo gallery. (yep, always, because I don't know if a CO has decided a photo is okay, or just missed one, when to me it might be a spoiler; it's far too subjective).

It's not a CO's "fault" if I feel my finding experience was spoiled because a previous finder uploaded a spoiler pic. (and that's why there's disclaimer that photos may contain spoilers)

And I don't think newbies don't know what a spoiler is (they are all over the internet for most anything with some mystery component; especially games, tv, movies).  It's perhaps they don't think of how often people view the image gallery and so don't think twice about the photo. Or maybe they even think the photos they upload are just to their personal gallery. Who knows...

As a CO if I don't want spoiler pics, I'll add the note not to upload them in the cache description, and revisit the gallery occasionally to double check.