Option to show solved mysts at corrected coordinates

yxza

I also agree with the idea presented in the OP.  I mentioned in the January 29th Release Notes thread that I'd like to see a toggle option for corrected vs posted coords.

Provide a toggle option for corrected coords:

• ON = caches with corrected coords show at corrected locations, with puzzle icons - all other caches show at posted coords with standard cache icons
  • OFF = all caches show at their posted coords, with standard cache icons
  • Upvote 2
Just now, IceColdUK said:

In this context, 'myst' is an abbreviation for 'Mystery caches' - the catchall type for caches that don't fit into other categories.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=277

Which, at one point were called "Mystery/Unknown", which some thought was synonymous with "Puzzle" caches.  All puzzle caches are "mystery" caches, but not all mystery caches are puzzle caches.  

On 1/8/2019 at 2:19 AM, medoug said:

What is a "myst"?  Is it a new geocaching term?  An internet search for the term comes up empty.

This particular abbreviation is very common here in Sweden (where the OP also lives). I don't really see it very widely used in posts by other international posters, so I guess it's quite regional. Traditional caches are called "trads" here, and multis are... well "multis". :)

But to get back to the topic, yes please to keep final coordinates, and let's have some red circles in the official app as well as the map, so we can see where we can put new caches even in city environments!

• Surprised 1

One thing about the 'new/beta' Search Map that is currently being tested, is that cache icons show up at solved coords even after being found.  So cachers can see both posted and solved by bringing up both the Browse Map and Search Map in separate browser windows/tabs.  This is similar behavior to how things worked 2+ years ago when I posted  this.  Then the puzzle piece icon was released (Aug-2017) and icons were moved to the posted location once they were found, no matter which map (Browse or Search) was used.

One thing I like about the 'new/beta' Search Map is that it's now possible to see caches at both solved and posted.

• Upvote 1
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:03 PM, chamafox said:

But to get back to the topic, yes please to keep final coordinates, and let's have some red circles in the official app as well as the map, so we can see where we can put new caches even in city environments!

I wouldn't be in favor of this.

This is the first step on the slippery slope toward creating caches in the phone app, FURTHER lowering the bar for cache pages.

• Upvote 3

If this is the active topic for this request, I'll upvote it here as well. 

As it stands, for hiders, the website is almost useless in choosing a spot in a area with a lot of caches, and you really need to use 3rd party apps, or a basic GPRs to get the needed functionality.

5 hours ago, lee737 said:

If this is the active topic for this request, I'll upvote it here as well. 

As it stands, for hiders, the website is almost useless in choosing a spot in a area with a lot of caches, and you really need to use 3rd party apps, or a basic GPRs to get the needed functionality.

At best the website could search 161m around your corrected coordinates, that doesn't mean they're the right coordinates, so still useless for hiders..

They only way to be sure is to ask a Reviewer.

6 hours ago, lee737 said:

Once upon a time, the guidelines actually stated that one of the goals of the saturation guideline is "to encourage you to seek out new places to hide caches rather than putting them in areas where caches already exist".

IMHO, if the only way you can find a place to hide a cache is to look for holes in the saturation map, then the area already has plenty of caches and doesn't really need any more. Perhaps it would be better to seek out new places to hide caches, places that aren't already so saturated.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, niraD said:

Once upon a time, the guidelines actually stated that one of the goals of the saturation guideline is "to encourage you to seek out new places to hide caches rather than putting them in areas where caches already exist".

I think it is obvious that the horse has bolted a long time ago on this one!

20 minutes ago, niraD said:

IMHO, if the only way you can find a place to hide a cache is to look for holes in the saturation map, then the area already has plenty of caches and doesn't really need any more. Perhaps it would be better to seek out new places to hide caches, places that aren't already so saturated.

It's not just a problem in saturated areas. As I've previously posted, I got caught out badly last year in an area where there were only two other caches within a couple of kilometres, both of which I'd previously found:

Map.jpg.1c46b9bd93fcabfc512c40acc9af5dca.jpg

I checked the mystery cache marked A but its final was well to the east so I thought I was okay, but was caught out by cache B way over in the south-west, a mystery I'd solved and found in 2015 but had forgotten that its final was pretty much on top of where I was wanting to put my new multi. Both the seach and browse map only show found caches as smileys so you can't even tell which ones are non-traditionals that could be problematic. If I'd noticed cache B at all during my planning, I probably just dismissed it as a highway P&G.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Team Canary said:

At best the website could search 161m around your corrected coordinates, that doesn't mean they're the right coordinates, so still useless for hiders..

If you've found the cache (and this is only an issue for found caches) then your coordinates were either correct (and likely confirmed with a checker) or pretty close. Being able to see found mysteries at their corrected coordinates would be far from useless most of the time.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Team Canary said:

They only way to be sure is to ask a Reviewer.

We know our area well, and have everything corrected. If we know a cache might be close, then we need to use Cachly or the GPS to verify saturation, the main map would be easier.  I don't like to bother the reviewer unnecessarily, they have enough to do.

There are other issues with the site and hiding - you don't get to check your coordinates on the main map until after the cache is published, only the low-res, no satellite imagery junk the cache prep pages offer. 

Edited by lee737
  • Helpful 1

Let's face it saturation in urban areas is a fact of life for most of us. Ignoring it and saying go place somewhere else less saturated is not the answer. Nor is ask the reviewer. A better system is needed. If you want to think outside of the box I'm sure plenty of folks have ideas.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
50 minutes ago, MNTA said:

Let's face it saturation in urban areas is a fact of life for most of us. Ignoring it and saying go place somewhere else less saturated is not the answer. Nor is ask the reviewer.

Spoiling all the caches with hidden waypoints is not the answer either. Are we at an impasse yet?

Showing caches where you have provided corrected coordinates at those corrected coordinates will help. Showing caches where you have provided corrected coordinates at those corrected coordinates on the planning map will help too. I fully support both of these suggestions.

But there will almost certainly still be hidden waypoints that don't show on the map, for example, intermediate stages of caches with 3+ stages, or multi-caches with posted coordinates outside your "blast radius". Asking the volunteer reviewers for a coordinate check will still be advisable before investing significant location-specific resources into a new cache.

And ultimately, cramming yet another cache into a gap in the map of a saturated area is a losing battle. At some point, even those gaps will be filled, and wannabe cache owners will have to find a new place to hide caches anyway.

Edited by niraD