CITO Event to Collect Archived Cache Containers?

DerDiedler

I had the idea to put up a cito, where the attending cachers are asked prior to the event, to thik of caches they know, wich are archived by now but most posiible the containers are still in place. Never done it, but it might be one for you to spice youre cito up a bit.

It would be cool to see logs and boxes of long gone Caches, all collected on one table. And maybe some lost Travel Bugs show up.

Of course it requires some organization to collect the possible archived candidates, to dedicade the candidates to a gruoup of attendees, and make them swarm.

29 minutes ago, DerDiedler said:

I had the idea to put up a cito, where the attending cachers are asked prior to the event, to thik of caches they know, wich are archived by now but most posiible the containers are still in place. Never done it, but it might be one for you to spice youre cito up a bit.

It would be cool to see logs and boxes of long gone Caches, all collected on one table. And maybe some lost Travel Bugs show up.

Of course it requires some organization to collect the possible archived candidates, to dedicade the candidates to a gruoup of attendees, and make them swarm.

This is not a CITO Event.  Even as a regular event, as a reviewer I would not allow this idea to be presented on the cache page.

• Upvote 3
7 minutes ago, Keystone said:

This is not a CITO Event.  Even as a regular event, as a reviewer I would not allow this idea to be presented on the cache page.

Can you explain why?

When the cachers meet at one point (listing coordiantes), spread out to find geo-trash + regular trash in a certain area and come back later to the listing cords to summarize all the trash an treats ;)

It´s the same you would do on a "normal" cito. A little wider spread perhaps, but in fact the same. Meet at coordinates, swarm to collect trash, meet again for disposal.

Edited by DerDiedler

Two issues strike me with regard to the plan to pick up remains of archived caches as a CITO:

1) it's locationless - ie go somewhere and pick up trash.  CITO events may spread out, but they are  defined by coords, and target a specific "cache friendly" place.  CITO as locationless - ie, pick up some trash somewhere and meet and talk about it, is submitted from time to time. It doesn't work. ?

2) pick up geocache containers belonging to others isn't going to be advertised on the site. Geocaching.com operates from the premise that the physical container and the cache page belong to the cache owner. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, palmetto said:

2) pick up geocache containers belonging to others isn't going to be advertised on the site. Geocaching.com operates from the premise that the physical container and the cache page belong to the cache owner. 

Ok, that´s pretty understandable.

On the other hand littering is a crime (at least where I live). And leaving a cache abandoned in the wild to rott seems to me like littering. But thats a different storry.

14 hours ago, HHL said:

That's pretty nonsense as the container might be listed elsewhere after beeing archived on GS.

That's pretty nonsense as well. You quoted ....a cache abandoned in the wild..... If it´s still used on another platform, it´s not abandoned, right?

Thr cases I am thinking of are pretty sure abondoned.

Edited by DerDiedler
50 minutes ago, DerDiedler said:

Und ich bin mir sicher dir fallen auch auf Anhieb ein halbes dutzend Dosen ein die unter irgend einer Wurzel vor sich hin verrotten

Ja, sogar noch mehr. Aber ich vergreife mich nicht an fremder Leute Eigentum. Das wäre mindestens ebenso schäbig.

21 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

Ok, that´s pretty understandable.

das habe ich doch schon längst verstanden. Die Frage ist doch eher ob es noch als jemandes Eigentum betrachtet werden sollte, wenn es durch Vernachlässigung zu Müll wird. Oder ob es dann nicht sogar verantwortungsvoller wäre diesen Quasi-Müll zu entsorgen. 

21 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

But thats a different storry.

Sorry @JMCB15 we wemt a little off topic there :)

8 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

Thr cases I am thinking of are pretty sure abondoned.

I'd want to be absolutely sure before boosting someone else's container.  I can think of plenty of examples of cachers in Germany who committed geocide on this platform, yet kept the listings active elsewhere on another service (which, at least as of today, is still active).  No links, per forum policy, but I'm sure you can guess another German caching site that is still open.

I can also think of one multi near me that was muggled and then later returned.  I happened upon it when hunting for another multi nearby.  The cache owner was very happy I found it and left it in place, and they were able to get it unarchived after I logged my find.  Ten years later, it's still active.

The other issue with having an archived cache CITO is that it's an event for the purpose of finding geocaches - which isn't allowed.  I don't see a distinction in the guidelines as to archived versus active caches.

I have removed archived caches that I know were abandoned and not cross-listed elsewhere, but only after contacting the owner.  (And not as part of a CITO.)

7 hours ago, HHL said:

Korinthenkackerei

One learns something new each day.  I can't wait to use this in conversation.  :laughing:

Anyway.  As to the original question - absolutely contact the local park, they will likely be very happy to hear it and may point you to areas that could really use attention.  They may also be able to facilitate cleanup by opening gates for easier access to some areas, etc.  The park where we hosted ours gave us bags, vests, gloves, and other equipment - and, as with K13's experience, they took care of hauling it all away.

I have always enjoyed CITOs that have a little contest for oddest piece of trash, and we did it for ours.  It's fun to see what teams come up with.  

51 minutes ago, hzoi said:

I'd want to be absolutely sure before boosting someone else's container.  I can think of plenty of examples of cachers in Germany who committed geocide on this platform, yet kept the listings active elsewhere on another service

I absolutely agree on this.

But I can also think of a player who popped up in my area, throwing  more or less randomly a whole bunch of caches into the forests, just to disapear only a few month or so later.

Some of this caches were muggled and archived, some were archived due to bad shape and ignorance of NM logs. And I would place a good bet on some of them to be still in place, still in bad shape (rather in even worse shape), and still not listed on any other service.

And I would like to see geocachers taking care about the remains theyr hobby leaves. Even when a certain person should feel responsible to care about certain geo-litter, the community clould (and should?) take over.

Maybe I´m kind of alone with my oppinion, but I feel it´s more important to get this trash out of the wild, than how would the owner of the assuredly abandoned cache want to have his trash handled. I think a cache transforms into trash once abandoned.

When one tosses his just emptied Mountain Dew bottle out the car window. Is the bottle still in his posesion and should it not be cleaned up?

Edited by DerDiedler