Moving to a new city

I recently moved to a new city so therefore I am unable to maintain the two caches I have out near my former hometown. What options are available for these caches other than archiving them? Can other geocachers adopt them? I still pass through the area on occasion, but would not have time to maintain them them since they require a fair hike to get to. If I cant adopt them out, I will remove them and archive them. Thanks for your helpful tips.

Edited by groundhog123

You can offer them for adoption.  Some methods to find adopters are to post to a geocaching Facebook (or other social media) group in the area where your caches are located and/or post a Write Note log on the cache pages to let cachers know that the caches are available for adoption.

Once you find someone to adopt the cache(s), then you can adopt it over to them using instructions HERE .

20 minutes ago, groundhog123 said:

I recently moved to a new city so therefore I am unable to maintain the two caches I have out near my former hometown. What options are available for these caches other than archiving them? Can other geocachers adopt them? I still pass through the area on occasion, but would not have time to maintain them them since they require a fair hike to get to. If I cant adopt them out, I will remove them and archive them. Thanks for your helpful tips.

Yep.    If a next time, making a note for adoption on the cache page,  or grabbing 'em  before leaving helps too.    :)

2 hours ago, groundhog123 said:

I sent you a message/email.

1 hour ago, Touchstone said:

Another option is to contact some local cachers in the area of your caches, and see if they’d be willing to Adopt them (see Help Center article on how to Adopt over a Listing). Sometimes a direct approach is more fruitful than merely posting a Note on the Listing pages. 

This approach also allows you to be more targeted with your request, for example, by offering to adopt your caches to people who found your cache as a milestone (e.g., first find, or 100th find, or 1000th find, or whatever), or by offering to adopt your caches to those who awarded them Favorite points.

• Upvote 1

Uncle Sam has us move every couple of years, so we've gotten the geocache part down to a science by this point; I post warning notes a few months out and then archive and collect containers about a month before so they can get packed with the rest of our household goods.  Any closer and I'd get caught up in packing, outprocessing, etc. 

It's helpful that you still are close enough to visit your old stomping grounds and can scoop up your hides if no one adopts them.  So far that hasn't been the case for us - two of our moves since we started caching have been transatlantic, and the others have all been state to state.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, hzoi said:

Uncle Sam has us move every couple of years, so we've gotten the geocache part down to a science by this point; I post warning notes a few months out and then archive and collect containers about a month before so they can get packed with the rest of our household goods.  Any closer and I'd get caught up in packing, outprocessing, etc. 

It's helpful that you still are close enough to visit your old stomping grounds and can scoop up your hides if no one adopts them.  So far that hasn't been the case for us - two of our moves since we started caching have been transatlantic, and the others have all been state to state.

Same here. On my fourth PCS since I started caching. At this point the only exceptions are the ECs (which are thankfully relatively maintenance free in regards to physical location) and caches with many favorite points.

In those cases I can usually find a "cache guardian" who will help me with maintenance. This is only for those that have shown a pattern of relatively little maintenance needed AND offer something of value to the local community. Otherwise I archive them.

On 12/6/2018 at 8:56 AM, hzoi said:

I’m only about two hours away, but too far to provide decent maintenance. 

12 hours ago, groundhog123 said:

I’m only about two hours away, but too far to provide decent maintenance. 

We recently bought a house that's about 1.5 hours from our primary residence (I am there now).   There are only two caches in town.   I'm considering placing a few more, and perhaps a few paddle caches (it's on the Delaware river).  Since we bought the house I've been here about every other weekend, certainly often enough to maintain a few caches.  

• Upvote 1