Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark142857

Premium membership as a gift

Recommended Posts

Someone I know is already a Premium member but I want to give them a year's membership as a Christmas gift.  As far as I can see you can only purchase a membership gift card (which is what I wanted) if you live in US or Canada, and I'm in UK.  I think their existing membership ends in March.  My question is, if I buy a year's membership on what date does it kick in?  As soon as I buy it, in which case will it overlap the existing one?  Or will it only start once the existing one expires?  I can't find any info on this.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Share this post


Link to post

When the recipient redeems the 1-year membership, then their expiration date will be moved to 12 months later.  It doesn't overlap.  If their existing end-date is March 2019 and they add a year tomorrow, then their end-date will change to March 2020.

 

ETA:  This is what I've seen happen before.  If you are not sure, then you should contact Groundspeak directly to confirm.

 

Edited by noncentric

Share this post


Link to post

When I've used a pm gift card to renew, I've needed to wait until after my pm's up to enter it in. 

 - That was as per Groundspeak as well, when I had issues with one once.

If they use the forums, one downside is any forum title that was there (if they had one...) can't be entered again (still a bug in the system).

Share this post


Link to post

But...by the "Give a gift membership" link next to their membership on their profile (basic or premium member...)  it does say, "Geocaching Premium gift memberships are immediately credited to user's accounts.", and afterwards it says, "You can also purchase a Geocaching Premium gift card if you are within the United States or Canada, or through select International Retailers.".

Go to the person you're helping out, click on the link, then fill out the form... :)

 

Okay, I filled the form from "Give a gift membership"  using you as an example, but I don't know you well enough to give you another year  

It just directs you to a standard credit card  page like you'd find on any other online site.  Easy. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by cerberus1
Addification :)

Share this post


Link to post

 

 

36 minutes ago, noncentric said:

When the recipient redeems the 1-year membership, then their expiration date will be moved to 12 months later.  It doesn't overlap.  If their existing end-date is March 2019 and they add a year tomorrow, then their end-date will change to March 2020.

 

ETA:  This is what I've seen happen before.  If you are not sure, then you should contact Groundspeak directly to confirm.

 

I've used the membership card for both others and myself.  This has been my experience as well.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/5/2018 at 12:54 PM, Mark142857 said:

Someone I know is already a Premium member but I want to give them a year's membership as a Christmas gift.  As far as I can see you can only purchase a membership gift card (which is what I wanted) if you live in US or Canada, and I'm in UK.  I think their existing membership ends in March.  My question is, if I buy a year's membership on what date does it kick in?  As soon as I buy it, in which case will it overlap the existing one?  Or will it only start once the existing one expires?  I can't find any info on this.

I'd be grateful for any help.

I can only confirm with 100% certainty that when you renew a PM with a PM Gift card, the membership is extended one year past the previous expiration date. I tested it today.

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I can only confirm with 100% certainty that when you renew a PM with a PM Gift card, the membership is extended one year past the previous expiration date. I tested it today.

 

Thanks for that.  :)

 

I may try it again myself this year, as I never had that experience. 

It'd be interesting to find why it never worked that way for me.  Maybe something simple that should have been fixed a while ago,  finally is.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

×