Abandoned Caches?

funkdaddy

Hi all, I'm new to geocaching and have a question about policy and procedure for abandoned caches. There are many caches that appear to be abandoned by their CO as evidenced by the DNFs and NMs from over a year ago. Some of these are in great locations, still on the geomap,  where the 1/10th of a mile rule would spoil the hide. What is the course of action to replace the hides, within the guidelines?

I'd like to adopt these orphaned caches.

Edited by funkdaddy
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, funkdaddy said:

Bummer, I think the CO may be MIA. I haven't received a response from a message I sent to Ranger Dale, who is the CO.

The CO logged into the site 5 weeks ago and logged a cache find 4 weeks ago.  Doesn't seem like an MIA cacher to me.  How long ago did you send him a message?  Also, some cachers have problems with using the Message Center, so contacting him using the email link in his profile would be a good idea if messages are not working.

If all else fails, then you can post an NM on the caches that have problems - or post an NA on the cache if it already has an NM that hasn't been addressed in a reasonable amount of time.  If the cache is archived, then you could create another cache listing and use that spot - or a spot nearby.

2 hours ago, funkdaddy said:

Hi all, I'm new to geocaching and have a question about policy and procedure for abandoned caches. There are many caches that appear to be abandoned by their CO as evidenced by the DNFs and NMs from over a year ago. Some of these are in great locations, still on the geomap,  where the 1/10th of a mile rule would spoil the hide. What is the course of action to replace the hides, within the guidelines?

Have you personally attempted to find these caches?  If so, make the appropriate log of your experience - DNF accompanied by Needs Maintenance or Needs Archived.  Then the Reviewer will become more aware of the issues.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, funkdaddy said:

If the caches have unanswered NMs indicating the cache is missing or otherwise untenable, then just post a Needs Archived log and get them out of the way. Whether or not they are in good locations is irrelevant, and bad caches should be removed from the database regardless of whether you want to replace them with something better.

Adoption has its uses, but these just sound like dead caches that we should just forget about. I remember one of the things I didn't understand when I started was that caches have natural life cycles: it's natural and healthy for them to go away at the end of their lives. It's your responsibility to point out that it's time by posting an NA explaining why it's time to pull the plug.

• Helpful 1