Perks of Premium Membership?

Enjayen

Hi all,

I recently got a month of premium membership to try it out and am considering getting a year of it, but now I'm curious.

What are the perks of having a premium membership?

So far I've seen:

Downloadable lists

Premium-only caches

I'm using the Groundspeak app and geocaching.com for logging and finding caches.

Happy caching

1 hour ago, K13 said:

To me, the best perk is the Pocket Query.

+1

That's the main thing about PM, if you're hunting more than a selected cache or two per day.  Get a whole townsful of caches at once (and more).  I tend to load my phone with Lists of selected caches to hunt (for planning), and place on my GPS Pocket Queries of the whole park or town, caches I may hunt as the opportunity arises.  Either or both can be loaded on a phone or GPS.

3 minutes ago, EggsTheBest said:

To me notifications about newly posted caches is one of the best perks - but only if you're hunting for FTFs.

The only reason we became premium members years ago was notifications. 

At the time, it was for the other 2/3rds (a FTF monster).  :)

Now, it allows me to see if a new cache within my area is worth (to me...) going after. 

- Searches for caches I'll do getting further away...

But there's a lot of reasons for notifications use, the FTF side-game just one.

1 hour ago, EggsTheBest said:

To me notifications about newly posted caches is one of the best perks - but only if you're hunting for FTFs.

I still make good use of the notifications even though it's rare for one to be close enough to home to have any chance of FTF. New caches anywhere in my region don't happen very often, so having the notifications saves me from having to keep looking at the map in the vain hope that something new might have appeared.

18 hours ago, Team Microdot said:

Is Send to Garmin still a thing?

Thought that had broke down ages ago.

It was "Send to GPS" that broke.

"Send to Garmin" is the feature that allows PM's to send a bookmark list directly to their Garmin GPSr devices.

image.png.fbae260258581d95c4ce914bfd166023.png

6 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

Ability to search for ALL cache types for Premiums, and is it still limited for basic to have limited number of caches per day?

But, that feeling of supporting the site is a bonus!

The "limited number of caches per day" applies only to the API-partner apps.  There is no such limitation for Basic Members using the official app.

• Helpful 1
14 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

Ability to search for ALL cache types for Premiums, and is it still limited for basic to have limited number of caches per day?

When the "new' search (not the new new search using the maps) came out a couple of years ago there were a lot of complaints about it being worthless for someone with only a basic account.  I have not idea how different it may be now but I suspect that there are still features in the search page not available to basic members.

For me, it's all about the pocket query

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, EggsTheBest said:

To me notifications about newly posted caches is one of the best perks - but only if you're hunting for FTFs. <...> 

THIS ('Notifications'), but NOT just for FTF-hunting.

I don't care about FTF status, but I sure want to know when something in my area is planted.

Her: "Hey, going into town to go shopping - see you later!"

Me: "Wait, I'm coming with you!"

<a beat>

Her: <Incredulous:> "Really?"

Her: <Dawning on her:> "..... Oh, new one in town? I'm not stopping."

Me: <moping>

• Funny 2
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:58 PM, Bear and Ragged said:

<...>

I use it, I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, it makes my life better, it's seriously cheap for the level of fun, so I do my part to help pay for it.

Even without the 'perks' of advance membership, this is a good reason.

Sometimes, I send Wikipedia a few bucks as well.

-----------------------------------------------------

(But that's ALL! DON'T ask me!)

Since I don't do Pocket Queries or lists, my only perk is helping to maintain a site that gives me at least $30 worth of fun every year.  I still enter the caches I want to search for one at a time and take some notes on paper while I sit in front of my PC before I leave the house.  From moonshine stills to underwater salvaged helicopters, I'll keep paying for the fun.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1