How long does it take for new hides to be reviewed and published?

handshow

Hi all

I very excitedly hid my first 8 caches last Wednesday. I've submitted them all for review and publishing (I know I did it correctly because I got the confirmation email). I'd like to know how long it usually takes for a reviewer to get to the task of reviewing and publishing. Can anyone provide advice?

Thanks in advance.

7 minutes ago, handshow said:

Hi all

I very excitedly hid my first 8 caches last Wednesday. I've submitted them all for review and publishing (I know I did it correctly because I got the confirmation email). I'd like to know how long it usually takes for a reviewer to get to the task of reviewing and publishing. Can anyone provide advice?

Thanks in advance.

Could be 2 minutes, could be a week or longer.

From the Help Center;

Typically, review begins within 7 days of the date that you submit your cache.  But reviews may take longer in the week before or after holidays and large geocaching events.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=97&pgid=74

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

It varies wildly, depending entirely on where you are and who the normal reviewer is for your area.  Pretty lucky here in Georgia to have a reviewer that almost always will publish within 12 to 24 hours...often within a just a few hours of submitting.  Others typically have to wait days or even a week or two.  It's probably more useful for you to ask people in your area how long they generally have to wait.

Usually, I'm working in my queue daily, often several times during the day. But sometimes I'm out in the woods for long weekend (as any other regular player), often without internet connection, when caches are sitting in queue for 3-4 days before my initial review. Once I touch the listing, it really depends on its content - if there are no issues, when everything is explained by cache owner in the notes for reviewer - cache can be published immediatelly. But sometimes, review can go into short communication - questions / answers - with cache owner, especially when he's hiding his first geocache and does not have experience to think about everything.

"Usually" does not mean a lot for each particular cache. As explained above, it can be 2 minutes if owner is experienced, detailed and lucky. Or it can be few weeks, if cache submission or communication is more complicated.

• Upvote 1

I had a reviewer that took a week to get back with me (the cache was never published due to proximity issues). One that took 2-3 days, and my current reviewer, who takes roughly 2 hours.

It just depends on how much info you give the reviewer, your city/state/country, the number of caches published daily, and the reviewer's schedule/personal life, (remember, most of them are volunteers). 

If you submit them late at night, then they probably won't be published until the next morning, or longer.

Edited by TwistedCube
typo