December ISS sightings

vulture1957

16 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

I have only two ISS Passes visible in December from Donna, TX. I use Heavens Above.

December 13, 18:57 CST, NW corner of Arizona to the South Tip of Texas. Anything West of Arizona is probably in Daylight.

December 24, 06:01 CST, South Tip of Texas to Youngstown, Ohio. Anything East of Ohio is probably in Daylight.

Drats. Too low for me.

I wanted try for a couple ISS viewings in November, but it seemed to be cloudy - for the entire month! At least it felt that way.

But now that a Canadian is back on-board the station, I have a renewed interest in viewing it as it passes over

BTW on a letterboxing website that I frequent I saw this in the "This Day in History" feed:

Today is Tuesday, December 4th, 2018.

1998 Space Milestone: International Space Station Launch: The shuttle Endeavour took a US component of the space station named Unity into orbit 220 miles from Earth where spacewalking astronauts fastened it to a component launched by the Russians Nov 20, 1998.

okay, funny story - after writing the above, I thought I would check the predictions to see what passes are in the future. What I discovered was that the ISS was passing over at the very moment I checked. Of course I ran out the door to have a look at the sky is perfectly clear, but with a max altitude of 17 degrees there's no way I was going to see it surrounded by trees and houses.

39 minutes ago, Bon Echo said:

I wanted try for a couple ISS viewings in November, but it seemed to be cloudy - for the entire month! At least it felt that way.

But now that a Canadian is back on-board the station, I have a renewed interest in viewing it as it passes over

BTW on a letterboxing website that I frequent I saw this in the "This Day in History" feed:

okay, funny story - after writing the above, I thought I would check the predictions to see what passes are in the future. What I discovered was that the ISS was passing over at the very moment I checked. Of course I ran out the door to have a look at the sky is perfectly clear, but with a max altitude of 17 degrees there's no way I was going to see it surrounded by trees and houses.

Are you motivated enough to get up early? ?

I'll start looking for anything near both of us, and I might be willing to travel a little.

6 minutes ago, speakers-corner said:

Hi everyone. I live in Stuttgart Germany. Between the 22nd Dec and 06th Jan I will be staying in Lancaster CA. Where do you find out about tracking the ISS and will it be over CA during that time. Thanks for your help on this.

I like heavens above. I lived in Lancaster for a summer while my husband worked at the AFB!  I'll message you with details about the ISS sighting.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:54 PM, vulture1957 said:

There will be available sightings here in central Oklahoma on 11 and 14 Dec. If anyone wants to try for them.

11 Dec is visible from NW of Oklahoma (Denver, Boise areas) and goes into shadow just before getting to Oklahoma.

14 Dec looks to go over Houston, Pueblo CO and maybe even Amarillo, and on NW.

You forgot the 10th! My son and I had a fantastic view of the ISS at only 21º alt. last night.

On 12/4/2018 at 11:23 PM, speakers-corner said:

Hi everyone. I live in Stuttgart Germany. Between the 22nd Dec and 06th Jan I will be staying in Lancaster CA. Where do you find out about tracking the ISS and will it be over CA during that time. Thanks for your help on this.

It's all your fault. ???

My husband was reading the information for tonight's pass when I told him it didn't sound right. "Oh, these times are for Lancaster, CA!". Haha. 

Edited by Max and 99

47 degrees out at Lake Overholser in Bethany Oklahoma for the ISS sighting.  I tried to get a picture with my cell phone, I haven't gotten it on the computer yet to see how it turned out. I snapped the picture as the ISS was closest to the moon (for those of you that didn't get to see it, the ISS was VERY close to passing in front of the moon.) I took a hint from Max & 99 and drove a couple miles to the south shore of the lake to get a better, unrestricted view. Also, not as many street lights to wash out the viewing.

Edited by vulture1957

Has anyone been able to spot the Christmas Comet? We're having trouble.

Growing up we had a permanent telescope post cemented into our yard since we used the telescope so much. If I didn't live in the city I'd put one in my yard too.

The binoculars should do the trick for spotting the comet, with the telescope providing a better image if we decide to lug it out.  We just can't spot it with the binoculars at all. We might try again in the morning. 

On 12/4/2018 at 11:23 PM, speakers-corner said:

Are you going to try to see any of the ISS passes this week?. Sunday morning looks like a good pass over Lancaster.

56 minutes ago, Loonwatcher said:

I looked at this site a while back.  I'm just east of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  I would certainly be game to team up with anybody.  Will research further to get best viewing dates.

Home ccords: N 45° 16.134′ W 75° 16.524′

Cheers!

Jacques

I'd love to partner with you if the opportunity arises, which may or may not ever happen.  I'll keep an eye on the pass schedule.

Definitely nothing in the next month! If we travel, I'll continue checking for an opportunity.

Edited by Max and 99