Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vulture1957

December ISS sightings

There will be available sightings here in central Oklahoma on 11 and 14 Dec. If anyone wants to try for them.

11 Dec is visible from NW of Oklahoma (Denver, Boise areas) and goes into shadow just before getting to Oklahoma.

14 Dec looks to go over Houston, Pueblo CO and maybe even Amarillo, and on NW.

I'm game for both of these! But the web site I used to use to get the tracks and times is now gone. What are you using for your ISS tracking?

Heavens above is my go-to site.

One of the other ISS threads had a post by me showing the site Bon Echo found that's really great when used close to the date of the pass.

7 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

I'm game for both of these! But the web site I used to use to get the tracks and times is now gone. What are you using for your ISS tracking?

My two favorites are:

Heavens Above

and

https://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=25544

I have only two ISS Passes visible in December from Donna, TX. I use Heavens Above.

December 13, 18:57 CST, NW corner of Arizona to the South Tip of Texas. Anything West of Arizona is probably in Daylight.

December 24, 06:01 CST, South Tip of Texas to Youngstown, Ohio. Anything East of Ohio is probably in Daylight.

16 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

I have only two ISS Passes visible in December from Donna, TX. I use Heavens Above.

December 13, 18:57 CST, NW corner of Arizona to the South Tip of Texas. Anything West of Arizona is probably in Daylight.

December 24, 06:01 CST, South Tip of Texas to Youngstown, Ohio. Anything East of Ohio is probably in Daylight.

Drats. Too low for me.

I wanted try for a couple ISS viewings in November, but it seemed to be cloudy - for the entire month! At least it felt that way.

But now that a Canadian is back on-board the station, I have a renewed interest in viewing it as it passes over

BTW on a letterboxing website that I frequent I saw this in the "This Day in History" feed:

Today is Tuesday, December 4th, 2018.

1998 Space Milestone: International Space Station Launch: The shuttle Endeavour took a US component of the space station named Unity into orbit 220 miles from Earth where spacewalking astronauts fastened it to a component launched by the Russians Nov 20, 1998.

okay, funny story - after writing the above, I thought I would check the predictions to see what passes are in the future. What I discovered was that the ISS was passing over at the very moment I checked. Of course I ran out the door to have a look at the sky is perfectly clear, but with a max altitude of 17 degrees there's no way I was going to see it surrounded by trees and houses.

39 minutes ago, Bon Echo said:

I wanted try for a couple ISS viewings in November, but it seemed to be cloudy - for the entire month! At least it felt that way.

But now that a Canadian is back on-board the station, I have a renewed interest in viewing it as it passes over

BTW on a letterboxing website that I frequent I saw this in the "This Day in History" feed:

okay, funny story - after writing the above, I thought I would check the predictions to see what passes are in the future. What I discovered was that the ISS was passing over at the very moment I checked. Of course I ran out the door to have a look at the sky is perfectly clear, but with a max altitude of 17 degrees there's no way I was going to see it surrounded by trees and houses.

Are you motivated enough to get up early? 😄

I'll start looking for anything near both of us, and I might be willing to travel a little.

I have sightings nearly everyday here in DC for the next 10 days. Anyone want to team up? Best day would be December 12th with two opportunities. First one would be a 17:37 EST which would be optimum, and another one at 19:13 EST.

Bob Echo:

How is Dec. 26, 7 a.m.looking for you? Id love to partner with you on that pass. 

Hi everyone. I live in Stuttgart Germany. Between the 22nd Dec and 06th Jan I will be staying in Lancaster CA. Where do you find out about tracking the ISS and will it be over CA during that time. Thanks for your help on this.

6 minutes ago, speakers-corner said:

Hi everyone. I live in Stuttgart Germany. Between the 22nd Dec and 06th Jan I will be staying in Lancaster CA. Where do you find out about tracking the ISS and will it be over CA during that time. Thanks for your help on this.

I like heavens above. I lived in Lancaster for a summer while my husband worked at the AFB!  I'll message you with details about the ISS sighting.

Stuttgart is the place to be this month. So many great ISS passes to view! I am jealous.

22 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Stuttgart is the place to be this month. So many great ISS passes to view! I am jealous.

That's the area of Tante.Hossi. But the average chances for a clear sky in December are under 10% in Stuttgart.

6 minutes ago, fi67 said:

That's the area of Tante.Hossi. But the average chances for a clear sky in December are under 10% in Stuttgart.

Your telling me :mad::(.

1 hour ago, speakers-corner said:

Your telling me :mad::(.

Well with that new information...I hope you have success in Lancaster! Will you let us know?

28 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Well with that new information...I hope you have success in Lancaster! Will you let us know?

of course I will, and with any luck with a photo to boot.

5 minutes ago, speakers-corner said:

today I had luck, the clouds opened and I had my first sighting of the ISS. Now I have to see if the Video I took was any good.

Congratulations. I'm so glad you got to see it.

TONIGHT we get a nice ISS pass from northwest to southeast, over my home location (OKC) at just after 7:00 PM CST. I will watch for it and post back here to see if anyone else got it and wants to pair up for a sighting waymark. 

349701098_ISS11Dec2018.png.c7484e701156ef79fdf08e5a54733a16.png

ISS 11 Dec 2018.png

Edited by The Snowdog

On 11/27/2018 at 8:54 PM, vulture1957 said:

There will be available sightings here in central Oklahoma on 11 and 14 Dec. If anyone wants to try for them.

11 Dec is visible from NW of Oklahoma (Denver, Boise areas) and goes into shadow just before getting to Oklahoma.

14 Dec looks to go over Houston, Pueblo CO and maybe even Amarillo, and on NW.

You forgot the 10th! My son and I had a fantastic view of the ISS at only 21º alt. last night.

15 minutes ago, The Snowdog said:

Well I was clouded out in OKC. Will try again on the 14th.

It was cloudy but we saw it! The arc was very strange, though.

On 12/4/2018 at 11:23 PM, speakers-corner said:

It's all your fault. 😊😊😊

My husband was reading the information for tonight's pass when I told him it didn't sound right. "Oh, these times are for Lancaster, CA!". Haha. 

Edited by Max and 99

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

It's all your fault. 😊😊😊

My husband was reading the information for tonight's pass when I told him it didn't sound right. "Oh, these times are for Lancaster, CA!". Haha. 

Sorry