Choosing a GPS Device

kc_kilmer09

I'm still pretty new to the game and have been relying solely on cell service for caching. I've recently started looking into GPS devices-- but there are so many options! I like the idea of paperless and loading caches to a device, but those seem pretty pricey for a newbie. I also like finding caches based on my location-- I travel a lot for work and don't always have time to research caches in nearby areas before my travels.

What other methods are available that I'm missing? Any advice and/or strategies are appreciated :) 

Sincerely,

Overwhelmed with options

Garmin is the go to for geocaching GPSrs. I'd suggest checking out their models starting with the Etrex 20x, which many consider a base model, and work upwards through the range. Also decide if you want touch screen or toggle/button operation. Also your budget will need to be considered.

There are plenty of threads to search but, as with a lot of researching, things can get confusing with too much information spinning in one's head.

I started with a Nuvi then an Etrex 10, upgraded to Etrex 20 then the 20x (after I lost my 20). Have been using the Etrex 20 for a few, well at least six, years now and see no reason to upgrade to a later model with extra bells and whistles. The 20x, I find, is very accurate in searching for and in placing caches.

• Helpful 1
29 minutes ago, kc_kilmer09 said:

relying solely on cell service for caching

With the right app and a little preparation, you can cache completely offline with a phone.  I do it all the time, airplane mode to save battery, and would never buy another dedicated GPS unit.  This from someone who used to say, they'd have to pry the Garmin out of my cold, dead hands.

There are many threads in these forums arguing the pros and cons of phone-vs-GPS, so rather than starting up the same discussion once again, I'll urge you to seek out the existing discussions.

Whatever you choose, have fun.  :)

EDIT to add, on re-reading your post:  With the right app you can cache offline (with advance preparation), OR cache on-the-fly if chance finds you somewhere with a little free time (what's nearby?).

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, kc_kilmer09 said:

I like the idea of paperless and loading caches to a device, but those seem pretty pricey for a newbie.

All current handheld GPS devices have paperless geocaching. You really just need to decide on 2 things: What interface do you prefer (joystick, buttons, or touch screen), and how much are you willing to spend? Although the buttons and touch screen models (Garmin GPSMAP and Oregon series) are more feature rich and expensive, the previous generation works just as well and can often be found for the same prices as the eTrex models. 

I also like finding caches based on my location-- I travel a lot for work and don't always have time to research caches in nearby areas before my travels.

Sounds like you might benefit from Pocket Queries. Choose a location, set up a radius, filter according to your preferences, and load a single file containing up to 1000 geocaches for a given area onto your GPS. I suspect that you have enough advanced warning regarding your travels that you can create and run a PQ at least a day in advance of your trip. If you travel to areas consistently, you can save the queries for repeated use.

I'm still pretty new to the game and have been relying solely on cell service for caching.

Again, using pocket queries, you can access active queries and save for offline use with the official app, for those times when you're traveling out of country or into areas where using data is cost prohibitive or unavailable.

At any rate, you don't really need to do advanced research, just as long as you know the general area that you are headed to. Create a pocket query and either load onto a GPS or download for offline use with the app (not necessary if you have data service available) and search for nearby caches on your down time.

• Helpful 1