Garmin etrex 20x map question

texastwostep

13 minutes ago, texastwostep said:

The built in street map is fairly useless as it only shows major throughfares. Do I need to purchase install the Garmin city navigator or are there other choices?

I'm not familiar with that GPS, but does it have an SDcard slot?  If so, there are many free map options available.  A fellow cacher fixed me up a few years ago at the upcoming annual event in Kilgore. 14th Annual Down Home Gathering

On 11/27/2018 at 11:53 PM, noncentric said:

You can get free maps for the eTrex.  I used free maps from  HERE, even without an SD card.  Just depends on how large of an area you try to download, as the file size would be bigger for a larger mapset.

One of the nicest things about those maps (Open Street Maps for Garmin) is that you can create a mapset with non-contiguous tiles.  I've created mapsets with areas in four different countries, but only selected map tiles for the areas where I would be visiting.  I selected areas in Denmark, Finland, Sweden and Germany but didn't need maps for areas in between as I would be on a plane when I was over those areas.  The total mapset size was fairly small.