Garmin NUVI1450 vs. Garmin Drive 60

rangercarol

We are in the habit of downloading lists of caches to our Nuvi and using it to drive close to caches.  Then we switch to a smartpnone or Etrex to fine-tune our search.  We just bought a new Drive 60 because of it's large screen and new features.  Unfortunately, Garmin did away with the Favorites feature which showed all the saved items on the map.  The new Drive GPS has a Saved feature which list the caches but doesn't show them on the map.  You can look at them individually but not all at once.

Anyone else fall into this trap and find away around it?

thanks,

Rangercarol

Thanks for sharing this information. I have an older Nuvi which is in need of replacement, and I've been curious how the Drive GPSs work.

In general, I don't use the Nuvi for geocaching. Instead, I have a routable map on my Oregon 600, which I put into "Nuvi mode" while driving to a cache, then switch profiles to finish the job. This seems to work well. But I suspect that it's less desirable with an Etrex. On the other hand, I also keep a large area in Google Maps downloaded for offline navigation, and I know that the Geocaching App will also let you download lists (including PQs) and the associated map for offline caching. And for vehicle navigation to a cache, the app will send the coordinates over to Google Maps. Perhaps using your phone might work as a one-stop solution where the Drive 60 fails. I should note that I also keep a set of high speed USB ports in my car's cigarette lighter, and a window mount for my phone. I've been considering just using the phone for vehicle navigation rather than buying another Garmin, but we'll see.

The downside is that Google Maps doesn't have every forest service and BLM road, but then you've got the Drive 60 to back you up. There may be alternative navigation apps that work better.

One thing you might try is to load them as Custom POI's (with Garmin's POILoader program). You can specify a .BMP file as the shown icon on the map. Pay careful attention to the requirements for the file naming of the .BMP file.

If you are a GSAK user, there is a good GSAK macro that will generate a GPX file for import into POI Loader that includes the custom geocaching icons. One nice thing about using the GSAK macro is that it gives you complete information about each cache (description, difficulty, terrain, hint, recent logs, etc.) that is viewable on the Nuvi or Drive unit. I have done this on my nuvi 3597, and the icons show on the map. I don't have a Drive unit to test, but it would be worth a try.