Personal Cache Notes

Troutpro

4 hours ago, NanCycle said:

Idk, is this an old search  vs. New search issue? 

Yes, It appears I've just been chosen to test the new search page, and it nolonger has the option to select caches with a personal note. 

You can opt out of the new search ( for now) and back on the old search you can also add a filter to exclude caches you own.

Ik was eerst (ong één á twee jaar geleden) niet blij met de nieuwe zoekmethode. Later ontdekte ik dat je in deze versie een lijst kon maken met een teken met personal note/veranderde coordinaten erbij. 

Nu is het weer veranderd, en is deze mogelijkheid weer weg.

Jammer. Weet iemand het url adres van de vorige zoekmethode?

Van de eerste heb ik die nog wel, die ik ook weer vaker ben gaan gebruiken, want met de huidige waarbij je gelijk naar de kaart gaat ben ik nog niet blij. 

5 hours ago, Shoob&Sheeb said:

I have a question about personel notes. I save things like how I solved puzzles and such. Now I cannot edit them on PC but can on phone. Is there a known but whith this feature?

Did you try clicking on the existing text within your cache note?  If you don't click on the existing text it doesn't seem to activate the editing.  This seems to have changed more than a few months ago.  I also thought it was broken but you just have to make sure you click on the text already there.  

• Helpful 1
On 1/1/2019 at 3:47 AM, Twinklekitkat said:
On 12/31/2018 at 10:43 PM, Shoob&Sheeb said:

I have a question about personel notes. I save things like how I solved puzzles and such. Now I cannot edit them on PC but can on phone. Is there a known but whith this feature?

Did you try clicking on the existing text within your cache note?  If you don't click on the existing text it doesn't seem to activate the editing.  This seems to have changed more than a few months ago.  I also thought it was broken but you just have to make sure you click on the text already there

On 1/2/2019 at 2:34 PM, Shoob&Sheeb said:

Yes. Tried that and also highlighting text. Whatever I tried the next keystroke took me half way down the page. This is a new problem for me. Yet the phone does not have it.

@Shoob&Sheeb - What operating system and browser are you using?  Do you have a touch screen monitor?  (I can't help you with your problem, but one of the developers may, and they'll likely need these questions answered.)

On 1/2/2019 at 5:34 AM, Shoob&Sheeb said:

Yes. Tried that and also highlighting text. Whatever I tried the next keystroke took me half way down the page. This is a new problem for me. Yet the phone does not have it.

Clicking on the personal note opens it for editing, but it does not put the input focus (i.e., the cursor) in the edit box. The next character you type goes to the browser, and because it goes way down the page, I'm guessing your browser thinks you're doing a search and is taking you to the first occurrence of what you typed. Yes, this is a big pain.

Anyway, if my guess is right, you need to select the personal note to open it, then click on it a second time to put the cursor in the box so you can type to it.

It's no surprise this has confused you: the behavior changed in an update a few months ago. Opening the personal note used to open the personal note and at the same time put the cursor in the box with all the text previously entered into the PN selected. This had its own problems because it was easy to open the personal note and then immediately wipe out the existing text by typing something. I assume they changed the behavior because people complain about that, but the new way has the problem you've discovered. A few people complained about this when the change appeared, but nothing was done about it.

Edited by dprovan
  • Helpful 1

Without reading every paragraph on this note ...

I tried to look for a list of all my personal without any luck. So say you are looking for a particular personal note there should be a link like draft notes ,where you could scroll thru them. If you want to look at all your log entries they have links for written logs, founds, DNF's ect... Even it its archived log entries can be reviewed. But I assume you'll never find a personal note again on an archived cache if you don't have the GC code. Hence is why I put up with all the C/O negativity why I leave written notes all over, I have decided to leave written notes so that I will always be able to find what I wrote about a cache. Again, even if its deleted... the system allows for you to add links, to the archived message good or bad.

On 11/24/2018 at 6:47 PM, NanCycle said:

Play>Search>Filters>Has personal cache note

Edited to add:  this will also return all of your own caches, whether they have PCNs or not.

Edited again: Nope, not all of them.   Five of my own caches without PCNS were included. 

Did not work for me. Did they update and remove this option ?  Or is this under PQ's

87%  - updating all logs, fetching cache data ... "GEOCACHING.COM NOTE" Gsak column

Okay well 45 mins later. GSAK was not the answer , but it did find all the "personal notes" , I ever made on caches that I have found.

But wait they already have a link for that. If you can click on view all your "written logs"  or "found logs" or ... logs period it gives you access to the GC code.

Maybe a private list of GC code visits is the solution ?

... so NO this has not been resolved, and if it was... it was taken away once some of us that used it , I'm sure it will be missed.

I do like this video, on learning another function of GSAK , its cool how the English language uses so many different words for the same meaning.

ie : boot for trunk of a car, and why do we call it a trunk when its the nose of an elephant...

.. and why ...