Federal Way Caches

Team JOYSON

We're going to be visiting family in Federal Way over Turkey Day, and I'm planning on having a "caching day" with the brother's in law while the girls are all out shopping the next day. Does anyone have recommendations on which ones we should do? It looks like there's more than 50 within a 5 mile radius, so we're hoping to narrow the list down a bit.

Thanks in advance,

Jason of JOYSON

Our friends call us "May Jet Soon"

We'll hunt just about anything. I've taken the brothers out a couple times now & they love it. I think we're going for quantity over quality for this trip, but it looks like you Feds enjoy your multi's. I printed off just about everything west of I-5 in the Federal Way area & if we get the chance, we may venture down to Tacoma to take advantage of some of Criminal's suggestions.

Soup, if you re-plant POI, we'll try to be first re-finders for you. Are you going to use the same info on the current page? I'm not sure if I'll have access to a computer after Wed.

Thanks for all your help. We'll let you know how it goes. More suggestions are definately appreciated!54293_500.gif

"What do you mean they don't eat no meat?!?"

I have a whole 'bunch' of caches in Federal Way which lean toward the easier side.

Got Change for a Sand Dollar is a really cool little beach park (Dumas Bay) if you go at low tide, but it might be a bit chilly this time of year.

If I had to recommend one, I'd tell you to do Hybelos Hideaway, which is a pretty cool secluded little park, but you'll need to be a member for details :-)

In Tacoma, I have to admit to also liking Galloping Gertie, but that was a couple mile round trip hike on the beach under the bridge, might not be the most pleasant walk this time of year (but it was great on a 80 degree day in May).

There are probably a dozen or two that would be of interest and 'easily' reachable from FW. Depends on how wet you want to get (for example, any of the 'many' in Flaming Geyser State Park are worth a look).

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Ahhh, you're wasting your time anywhere east of the Narrows. icon_wink.gif

_Good thing Federal Way is WEST of the Narrows.!_

http://home1.gte.net/res1ewfe/images/lodging3.jpg http://home1.gte.net/res1ewfe/images/geol1.jpg

_If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do._

http://www.sigmaxi.org/amsci/articles/95articles/Hunt-full.html

Say what?

Back in April, I posted this message to a thread titled, ''Quick Federal Way Caches''. I've hyperlinked the caches that are still active.

quote:
I work in Federal Way, and have hit every cache within a half hour drive (with one hour lunch breaks, that's the limiting radius, if I hunt fast.)

My first cache ever was ''Somewhere Over the Rainbow,'' which is within 450 feet of my desk. It's a challenge, because the tree cover is thick, and I suspect the coordinates may be off a bit.

Hit ''Bronze Deer'' and ''Aurburn Lookout''; the view of Mt. Rainier is a wonderful bonus. As long as you're there, hit ''Seekers Seek Blue Heron's,'' which is notable for being a rose petal dumping ground (don't ask... I don't know either.)

As long as you're in the area, hit ''S-squared - do not open under penalty of law'' (neat cache container -- bring a screwdriver) and ''Seekers Dog Walk'' (you can get to it and back in under 5 minutes from your car).

If you want quality over quantity, definitely hit Hazard's ''Let's do the Time Warp Again,'' {sadly archived} especially if the weather's nice (and DON'T CHEAT on it!). Also, if CameraThyme and DDog-n-Ma have ''Before and After'' back up and running by then, the first waypoint in itself is worth the hunt (and the second one will take you longer than you'd think!)

There's plenty of others within half an hour. If you want to hit as many as you can, I'd go in this order:

Leave the hotel and hit ''S-Squared''. Use all the hints you can find and get ''Rainbow''. Go get ''Dog Walk,'' then head down the hill and get ''Deer,'' ''Aurburn,'' and ''Heron's.'' Head back up the hill and hit ''Pre-Roundup One.'' Then head down to the sound and catch ''Ravine Rave'' and ''Dash Cache.'' ''Points of Interest'' [red]{temp. unavail}[/red] is a great one, but it's a somewhat challenging multi that will take a little time.

(In my half hour jaunts from very close to your hotel, I've gotten as far east as ''Flaming Gas,'' as far north as ''ClarkPark,'' west to ''Points of Interest,'' and south to ''Pre-Roundup'' (although you could probably make it to ''Blair Witch Woods'' in Tacoma. If you do, let us know when, and we'll watch you on the web cam).

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:

Ahhh, you're wasting your time anywhere east of the Narrows. icon_wink.gif

_Good thing Federal Way is WEST of the Narrows.!_

http://home1.gte.net/res1ewfe/images/lodging3.jpg http://home1.gte.net/res1ewfe/images/geol1.jpg

_If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do._

http://www.sigmaxi.org/amsci/articles/95articles/Hunt-full.html

Say what?

lodging3.jpggeol1.jpg

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!