Audit Log Mystery

colleda

A strange thing happened a day or so ago. I was casually perusing my Audit Logs just wondering if any local cachers were contemplating doing any of them or if anyone had DNF'd and was contemplating another search. I noticed a cacher name that was unfamiliar and was on more than one of my cache Audit Logs. I started looking at my other caches and the same name was on them too. Curious, I checked all my Audit logs and the same name was on all of them. That was very strange because, usually, if someone was researching an area they may check a few caches but certainly not all of them (mine). I have no idea if they searched other CO's caches, there's no way of telling.

I had a look at the cacher's profile and saw that he/she/they live in another country many thousands of kilometres away and has never cached in this country, Australia, have over ten thousand finds but own no caches.

I'm not too concerned but just thought it strange, odd. Could anyone suggest a possible reason they would do this?

5 minutes ago, colleda said:

Could anyone suggest a possible reason they would do this?

Someone browsing the area with C:Geo? As it is a web page scraper I think it needs to "open the cache page" for each cache on the map to collect the D/T/type/size before it can display it on the map, though I don't use it - honest 'gov - so could be wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
45 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Marty's answer explains it perfectly.

Wouldn't the person using that app have to at least click on the cache icons for it to activate the audit log?  Or are you saying that someone panning around the area on the map, seeing the icons but not tapping them, would activate the audit log too?

2 hours ago, niraD said:

Maybe they know that you actually pay attention to the audit logs of your caches, and they're deliberately trying to confuse you. ;) 

:D

We know of a few who did that.

When I mentioned at an event what the other 2/3rds was going through with a couple of micro-managing, anal-retentive COs, a bunch hit those caches a couple times a day for a while.

• Funny 1

Like many CO's, my puzzle caches get audit log views from all over the world. I think there are just a lot of people who enjoy solving puzzles. I've solved some in countries I'll never get to, but still enjoyed the challenge. One of my caches got a FTS from someone on the other side of the country. I asked how he even know about it, and he said he was just browsing and wanted to solve it.

Edit: IF I find one I really like, I might check out others that the CO has published, so my name may show up on quite a few of that CO's audit logs.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1

I'm guessing some of you may have looked at my profile and seen that I only have a few puzzle/mystery caches. Yet, this cacher has looked at all 60+, non archived, traditionals and others over a couple of days earlier this month. Should I be flattered, suspicious,  indignant, miffed? Miffed, I think. Hey, maybe they're planning a trip to Oz. They have been to New Zealand and picked up a bunch there.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, colleda said:

I'm guessing some of you may have looked at my profile and seen that I only have a few puzzle/mystery caches. Yet, this cacher has looked at all 60+, non archived, traditionals and others over a couple of days earlier this month. Should I be flattered, suspicious,  indignant, miffed? Miffed, I think. Hey, maybe they're planning a trip to Oz. They have been to New Zealand and picked up a bunch there.

Go with flattered! They probably heard that your caches are amazing and not to be missed. Go with that!

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, colleda said:

Oz is out.  A smoker, I wouldn't have nails left on a 22+ hour flight.   :D

We go by terrain mostly,  and if bored at work, the other 2/3rds has looked at all caches of some COs with similar likes.

She's never been outta the country, but has a rough idea who the go-to is in a couple countries (if she can ever get outta work...).

- Those young folks building careers thing...   :)

11 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Oz is out.  A smoker, I wouldn't have nails left on a 22+ hour flight.   :D

We go by terrain mostly,  and if bored at work, the other 2/3rds has looked at all caches of some COs with similar likes.

She's never been outta the country, but has a rough idea who the go-to is in a couple countries (if she can ever get outta work...).

- Those young folks building careers thing...   :)

Hmmmm. Drive rental to LA. Hop on a cruise ship about October fbound for Sydney via Hawaii and Pacific islands. Geocache for six months and return by another big ship via Singapore, Seward, Seattle. Train home. Easy!!;) Good way to skip winter and add some extra country souvenirs.

• Funny 1