Geocaching in Slovakia

Rikitan

Since there is no dedicated Slovak subforum, I'm opening this thread here - mainly for english speaking visitors of Slovakia.

If you have any question regarding geocaching in Slovakia, or need to reach anyone - please, post here, I'm following and will try to answer you.

At the moment, there are ~15500 active geocaches in Slovakia and around 3000 - 5000 local geocachers with at least 1 found / month.

With these figures, our small country is somewhere around 20th to 25th place in the world.

Occasionally, I'll be posting news from Slovakia here.

I'd start with fixed link showing Geocaching Map with all events in Slovakia for you to join: link

There's one Mega event scheduled for June 2019: https://coord.info/GC7TVTV

Another (sport) event with ambition to become Mega will take place in May 2019 in Bratislava: https://coord.info/GC7TVVA

I'm looking fwd for you to come & explore Slovakia.

21 hours ago, Rikitan said:

Since there is no dedicated Slovak subforum, I'm opening this thread here - mainly for english speaking visitors of Slovakia.

If you have any question regarding geocaching in Slovakia, or need to reach anyone - please, post here, I'm following and will try to answer you.

At the moment, there are ~15500 active geocaches in Slovakia and around 3000 - 5000 local geocachers with at least 1 found / month.

With these figures, our small country is somewhere around 20th to 25th place in the world.

Occasionally, I'll be posting news from Slovakia here.

I'd start with fixed link showing Geocaching Map with all events in Slovakia for you to join: link

There's one Mega event scheduled for June 2019: https://coord.info/GC7TVTV

Another (sport) event with ambition to become Mega will take place in May 2019 in Bratislava: https://coord.info/GC7TVVA

I'm looking fwd for you to come & explore Slovakia.

Nice to see this posted here.  I don't know if I'll ever get to visit Slovakia but it's nice to have someone here that can answer any questions for those that might find themselves traveling there.  Since you mention that the thread is mainly for english speaking visitors I thought I'd point out that the geocaching map link with events in Slovakia is using a base map with all the country/city names in, I assume, Slovak.  Changing the base map to use "Google Road Map" will change all the place names to English.   

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Since you mention that the thread is mainly for english speaking visitors I thought I'd point out that the geocaching map link with events in Slovakia is using a base map with all the country/city names in, I assume, Slovak.  Changing the base map to use "Google Road Map" will change all the place names to English. 

Okay, I switched the map to Google Road Map, let's check if the link took this into consideration: link

Edit: link is still the same, map layer is something what each user needs to change by himself

Edited by Rikitan

Sharing some stats about basic geocaching trends in Slovakia, as of EoY 2018:

1626291324_Slovakia2018.png.e7741be6a9bb26a2c67b3af6618c3ed5.png

• it looks like country becomes slowly saturated
  • we have less large series of traditional caches, compared to previous years
  • growth in letterboxes is caused by new big serie of LBH's around Bratislava
  • decline in WIGs can be explained by introduction of AR caches, their concept is similar
  • we tend to socialize and CITO more and more, campaigns have helped

This decline means people are inclining to searching instead of hiding - that's normal when country gets saturated.

Demonstrated on list of 20 top logged caches in 2018, compared with 2017 - shows 15-20% increase of logs on most "popular" caches.

2018 Top logged caches:

2018.png.48a8c6160f7bb79fe24028efea2f69fe.png

2017 Top logged caches:

2017.png.5326d68cbca6113a73750d3c41b7ad88.png