Using app without premier membership

HarLin

Been inactive since long before there were apps for this - even before there was premium membership.

Does the app work without premium membership?

What don't you get if you buy the app, but don't have premium membership?

How well does it work withut premium membership?

Woule the app be "better" than or "not as good as" my Garmin 64?

Thanks for the help -

There's more than one app.  Saying "the" app usually means the Groundspeak app, and you don't  "buy " that one;  it's free. 

The app works without Premium membership,  but it's  very limited.

I prefer my Garmin Montana, partly because I have a cheap phone that doesn't have a compass. 

Edited by NanCycle
Edited

Personally, I prefer using my Garmin eTrex for caching, but will use the Official app once in a while if I happen to be somewhere and figure "I might as well see if there's a cache around here".

As NanCycle mentioned, there are various apps that can be used for geocaching.  The "Official App" generally refers to the one developed by Groundspeak.  It is free to download and use, but functionality is more limited for Basic Members.  The Help Center has a description of the differences on this page.   Keep in mind that the cache limitations described on that page apply when using the official app.  Basic Members will still see all non-PMO caches when using the website, whether accessed via computer or phone's web browser.

Hope that helps.

6 hours ago, HarLin said:

Been inactive since long before there were apps for this - even before there was premium membership.

Does the app work without premium membership?

What don't you get if you buy the app, but don't have premium membership?

How well does it work withut premium membership?

Woule the app be "better" than or "not as good as" my Garmin 64?

Didn't premium membership start in '02 ?

We had a geocaching app for blackberry in '05.  :)

The geocaching app is free, but limited without premium membership.  Caches are limited to those  2/2 or less.

If you'd use that Garmin 64 and used the site for cache info, you'd be able to access all caches (except pmo) with a basic membership.

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1

We use the geocaching website and a Garmin etrex 20 along with a basic membership.  I do have the app on our phone to find a few geocaches when we don’t have our gps with us.  At some point we’ll probably buy the Premium Membership but for now this works well for us and there are still many more geocaches to find in our area so why spend the extra.  Such a great hobby to get me up out of this rocking chair!  

4 hours ago, HarLin said:

Thank you all. Guess I'll study the Garmin 64 manual and learn how to use that. (I've had it awhile but was on a hiatus from Geocaching.) Found the first one in awhile yesterday - only 0.3 miles from home.

That sounds like a fine plan.  There were some recent changes to how cache files  (.gpx files) can be downloaded.  THIS PAGE shows the "Download GPX" option that you can use as a Basic Member.  Basically, you'd download and save .gpx files to the Garmin/GPX folder on your 64.  One download per cache.

There are other ways to download multiple caches at a time, but those option (Pocket Queries, Send List to Garmin) are Premium Member features.