Cache Mountain, Oregon?

Mr. Snazz

I placed the Hawk Mtn Lookout Cache recently and was thinking of naming it after a nearby meadow close to the trailhead - Cachebox Meadow. Logscaler has a cache named Cache Creek over in Eastern Ore. I have the Oregon GPS Waypoint book that lists all the names on the USGS topo maps and the only other placename is Cache Meadow near High Rock and the upper Roaring River. Beautiful area, but a very rocky road to the trailhead.

19973_600.gifThe adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

There are many cache placenames in Oregon: 4 creeks as well as a mountain, lake, canyon, meadow, and camp. There's also Cache Cabin Trail, Cachebox Lake, Cachebox Meadow, and Cached Lake. Lots of opportunities to place cache caches.

One of the Cache Creeks in Eastern Oregon was named by a pioneer scout who found an Indian cache at the mouth of the creek. Cache Creek near Sisters (and presumably the mountain and lake) was given that name when the manager of the Santiam Wagon Road hid money there to pay workers. The road dates back to the 1860's.

I had a cache planned for near the old Santiam Toll Station with a money theme but hadn't got around to placing it. May still do it some day, although our lack of a truck for the rough roads and the recent surge in new caches to hunt reduces the motivation. The Chief's Cache Country cache is (was?!) a multi-waypoint that sounds fun. If someone with a truck wants to team up to see if it's still there, I'll trade a canoe trip to one of the island caches.

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

If someone with a truck wants to team up to see if it's still there, I'll trade a canoe trip to one of the island caches.

I have to get the rear differential on my bronco fixed, but if somebody else hasn't taken you up on this by then, I'm interested! icon_biggrin.gif

Should be all fixed up around the first part of next month.

snazzsig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

There I had a cache planned for near the old Santiam Toll Station with a money theme but hadn't got around to placing it. May still do it some day, although our lack of a truck for the rough roads and the recent surge in new caches to hunt reduces the motivation. The Chief's Cache Country cache is (was?!) a multi-waypoint that sounds fun. If someone with a truck wants to team up to see if it's still there, I'll trade a canoe trip to one of the island caches.

If you go to the toll station from 242, the road is pretty good as far as the toll station. I think any car could make it, that is as soon as the fires are done with the area.

Byron

on Cache Mountain. just kidding. We saw the lightening storm that did it. Well, you get one put out and another one starts. Have you guys all checked out geomac? What a cool little wildfire map viewer. It is a bit cumbersome but after playing around with it a while it I decided it was mighty neat icon_smile.gif

Well we are going camping/caching.. so everyone have a great weekend and happy caching!

According to my TOPO ! mapping program, there are 16 different places in Oregon Named Cache**** or ****cache scattered from North to South and East to West. And I found two Cache **** together I will be looking at to draw you too. I have one "Cache ****" now and I would like to get more. We had also planned a Cache Mtn. Cache for up on Highway 20 next to HooDoo to be planted the weekend of the tenth but that is now out. Later, logscaler.

And typing at night brings out the following line ;

[This message was edited by logscaler on August 02, 2002 at 06:10 PM.]