Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
RobertFF

Compass mode all over the place

My son and I both got the app on our iphones and gave it a go the other day. Had a blast and found 3 out of 5. We had a lot of difficulty zeroing in on finds. Compass mode seemed very inaccurate. It would point 10' west then I'd take 2 steps in that direction and it would change to 24' in another direction I get that there is a lag time for info to update and we tried standing still and waiting too. Also both our iphones were constantly pointing in different directions at the same time. Is this normal? Is there a way to get more accurate readings? Does it depend on devise or cell carrier?

2 hours ago, RobertFF said:

My son and I both got the app on our iphones and gave it a go the other day. Had a blast and found 3 out of 5. We had a lot of difficulty zeroing in on finds. Compass mode seemed very inaccurate. It would point 10' west then I'd take 2 steps in that direction and it would change to 24' in another direction I get that there is a lag time for info to update and we tried standing still and waiting too. Also both our iphones were constantly pointing in different directions at the same time. Is this normal? Is there a way to get more accurate readings? Does it depend on devise or cell carrier?

That's normal.  Sometimes you'll get a very steady signal.  Depends on the place, tree cover, mineral deposits.  Once you're about 30 feet from the cache, you're there.  You don't follow it down to "Zero".  You can set the phone down on a stump or something to see if it settles out, or you could step into a clearing and see where it's pointing, that's about it.  Look at the satellite map.  Look at the description and hint.  Read the logs.  Where might a cache this size be placed, based on what you know?

If I'm unable to find a tough cache, I still try to get a feel for what the compass is telling me.  It may seem to "point" most often at one place.  That's where I concentrate my search.

Good luck!

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1

Right.

I'll just add...

Some phones may be more accurate than other phones, but not by much.  Ditto between phones and GPS units.

And GPS reception has nothing to do with cell carrier or cell signal.

In other words, there's no real way to get more accurate readings.  That's as good as it gets, now use intuition and geo-sense to make the find.  :)

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, RobertFF said:

Definitely normal. I like to get close then start looking. My husband, the numbers guy, will spend 20 minutes walking in circles staring at the GPS watching for it to get closer to 0 feet. We use different phones and our distances don't always match! But they get us close enough.

18 hours ago, RobertFF said:

Civilian GPS is only accurate to around 10' on a perfect day.  What are the odds the CO and you have perfect days placing/finding ?  :)

I haven't used the app in some time.  Does it have the "+/-" location accuracy shown on it?

Your phone may show it's within 10', but your location accuracy could be +/- off by let's say... 26'.

As Max and 99 say, the husband may walk in circles to get to "0", but location accuracy may be off by 12', where (I'm assuming...) 99 may already be standing.   ;)

Agree with others, I put the GPSr away and start looking when it starts to drop around 25' or so.

Little difference these days  between modern phones besides bells n whistles.

On 11/18/2018 at 11:31 AM, cerberus1 said:

Civilian GPS is only accurate to around 10' on a perfect day.  What are the odds the CO and you have perfect days placing/finding ?  :)

I haven't used the app in some time.  Does it have the "+/-" location accuracy shown on it?

I just updated my app and now the accuracy is prominently displayed!

On 11/18/2018 at 9:31 AM, cerberus1 said:

4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I just updated my app and now the accuracy is prominently displayed!

Yep, as Max and 99 said, the accuracy is shown in the app - as can be seen at the very beginning of the OP in the recent Release Notes thread about navigating with the app.