Messages not appearing in message centre

Penfold64

Messages sent directly via email do not appear in the messsage center. You can check this from the message title. If there is word "contacting" then it is not available in the message center. Messages available in the message center contains phrase "you have a new message from" in the title.

Edited by arisoft

As arisoft said, make sure whether it's an email or a message.

• If arisoft sent me an email, then the email subject line would say "arisoft contacting noncentric from Geocaching.com".  Emails do not appear in the Message Center.
  • If arisoft sent me a message and I have my email preferences set to send me an email, then the email subject line would say "Geocaching: noncentric, you have a new message from arisoft!".  And this should appear in the Message Center.
On 11/17/2018 at 11:13 AM, Penfold64 said:

I have had 2 messages from other cachers sent to me this week and neither appear in the message centre.  Is this a bug?

There is no way to respond without going to the users profile and sending a new message - so i can only summise there is an issue.

You can also just type or paste their username in the message center without having to go thru their profile. That's if you want to continue the conversation via Message Center.

If they checked the box that says to include their email address when they emailed you, you will be able to reply directly to them. (I wish the email notification would state this).

However, if they did not check the box to include their email, you will see this at the bottom:

This email was sent without a return email address. You will need to respond to this email through the Geocaching Web site. 

Edited by Max and 99
Update
8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

If they checked the box that says to include their email address when they emailed you, you will be able to reply directly to them. (I wish the email notification would state this).

However, if they did not check the box to include their email, you will see this at the bottom:

This email was sent without a return email address. You will need to respond to this email through the Geocaching Web site. 

^This

It is the cacher that sent you an email that decides whether the "contacting" email you receive shows the sender's email address or noreply@geocaching.com.  I agree that it is certainly easier to just hit "Reply" in your email, rather than having to go to the cacher's profile to hit "Sent E-mail" again, but that is the other cacher's decision.  At least the "contacting" email makes it a bit easier by including a link to the cacher's profile at the bottom of the email you received.

image.png.f591ad55bda46a6dbca2d2fc348b687d.png