Galileo and more accurate smartphone GPS

J Grouchy

FCC ruling will help make smartphone GPS more accurate

...the FCC has just made a move to open up satellite navigation beyond America's borders. A new order means your smartphone can also use Europe's Galileo system, which will make sat nav faster and more accurate...

Your phone can probably use Galileo already, but the functionality is disabled because of US regulations against ground radios connecting to foreign satellites. To enable the two bands (out of three) now permitted, your device maker might need to roll an update out to you.

Interesting.

My phone, a Chinese model shipped directly to me in Canada and thus likely not subject to FCC anything (nor Canadian equivalent), has been receiving up to 21 satellites for years - I count 21 (/20 variously) numbered satellite slots on the Locus display - of which GPS would account for only 12, if I remember right.

So I'm getting two satellite systems already.  Would the second be Galileo?

Edited by Viajero Perdido
I have trouble counting past 10

The FCC saying you weren’t allowed to *receive* information from GNSS (Galileo) satellites is weird.

Wikipedia says:

Samsung Galaxy S8, Moto X4, Apple iPhone 8 / Apple iPhone X and later devices and BQ Aquaris X5 Plus are compatible with Galileo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(satellite_navigation)#Receivers

Apple’s latest also support the Japanese QZSS, handy for Asia-Oceania.

Of particular interest may be not simply whether a device has Galileo support, but if  it uses dual frequency.  

The  Broadcom BCM47755 chip,  introduced last year, is "a dual-frequency (E1/L1+E5/L5) GNSS chip that can compute location with an accuracy of up to a few decimetres.…". I

The Mi8 and other devices are beginning to use this.  Other manufacturers are introducing competing dual frequency technology.

This article is way beyond my technical expertise but seems to be a good discussion about dual frequency implementation. 

Edited by geodarts
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, geodarts said:

Of particular interest may be not simply whether a device has Galileo support, but if  it uses dual frequency.  

Yes, using two different frequency bands at the same time is the way what military has been used to eliminate ionospheric errors. Originally the alternative band was encrypted and useless for commercial grade receivers but things seems to be changing.