GIFF voting

TheLF

Was out of town and saw the movies on Monday evening. Got back home Tuesday evening and looked at my notes for each entry. Made a decision as to who I wanted to vote for.....  went to the link.... AND VOTING IS CLOSED.   UGHHHH.  It only been 27 hours since I saw them, but unfortunately it is after the deadline declared by Groundspeak. Why can’t the polls remain available for a few days after the last day to view the movies...?

• Upvote 3
6 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Vote?

We were told at the event I went to that HQ would send Attendees a link to vote, but I haven't gotten anything!

It was done as an "announcement" log by GCHQ on each GIFF event.   For the one I went to, the announcement log was on 7 November.    It contained the link.    As it was an announcement, I received an email as I had done a "will attend"

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=263ab3a6-36df-449f-9d3a-66f46b17cd89

The event I attended was on the 9th.    If I hadn't logged my "will attend" prior to the 7th, I would not have received the notification of the announcement log.  

Edited by redsox_mark
1 hour ago, redsox_mark said:

It was done as an "announcement" log by GCHQ on each GIFF event.   For the one I went to, the announcement log was on 7 November.    It contained the link.    As it was an announcement, I received an email as I had done a "will attend"

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=263ab3a6-36df-449f-9d3a-66f46b17cd89

The event I attended was on the 9th.    If I hadn't logged my "will attend" prior to the 7th, I would not have received the notification of the announcement log.  

That's a terrible way to manage this.

You're right, if you hadn't logged before the 7th, you'd never know.

In my example, I logged "Will Attend" WEEKS ahead of time, put it on my watchlist because I wanted to see who else signed up, and got LOTS of notices about the event. Didn't look at every one.

It makes no sense to send it out to "Will Attends"; does that mean that I can vote if I end up not attending? They should just send a message to everyone that logs "Attended"!

PLUS, there was an announcement at the event to "watch for the email".

There was a heated discussion on the way home about which film would get our "Team" vote; now I have to go tell her to forget about it.

I feel robbed. Anybody at HQ reading this? You know where to reach me.

I understood that the announcement would be sent out to Will Attend loggers after the events, not before or during. Which made sense per the comment above about late WA logs missing out. It can't really be done by Attended logs since people may not log for days or even weeks afterwards. Sending it to WA loggers at least encourages people to properly log their WA if they're able within a decent time of the event. Not that late WA logs would also miss any CO announcements too - but that's why the announcement should have been sent after the events concluded (and voting held open at least another day or two).

Beyond that, event hosts can also easily send out info to attendees about how to vote.

In short, the mess up here I think was that the link announcement should have been sent no earlier than Monday, with voting extended a couple of days.

• Upvote 1

It's the first year for a people's vote online yes, but hosts were informed before the event that an Announcement would be posted to all official GIFF events with the link.  It's not an afterthought insofar as it was set up a day or two before the announcement went out :P I'm sure it was organized at least a few weeks ahead of time.

5 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

It makes no sense to send it out to "Will Attends"; does that mean that I can vote if I end up not attending? They should just send a message to everyone that logs "Attended"!

I know that "Announcement" logs are sent to cachers that logged "Will Attend" before the Announcement log is posted.

I'm pretty sure that "Announcement" logs are also sent to cachers that log "Attended" before the Announcement log is posted.  Not sure I have any examples to test that hypothesis though.  I know that I get Archive logs on events for which I've logged an Attended, but no Will Attend.  Of course, even if "Annoucement" logs are emailed to Attended loggers, it would only go to cachers that logged Attended before the Announcement log is posted.

5 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

PLUS, there was an announcement at the event to "watch for the email".

How would Event CO's know who to send emails to?  If cachers don't log a Will Attend or Attended to an event, then how else would they receive an email?

The GIFF event I attended had a viewer's choice voting, which was voting for 1st-3rd place among the attendees for that event only. It was done by paper ballot at the event itself.  The winners at our event were:

1. Geocaching documentary: Winter caching in Finland [clip #4]
  2. I Am Geocache [clip #5]
  3. TFTC [clip #15]

Did anyone else have a local vote?  I think it would be interesting to hear what the winners were at other local levels.

3 hours ago, noncentric said:

I know that "Announcement" logs are sent to cachers that logged "Will Attend" before the Announcement log is posted.

I'm pretty sure that "Announcement" logs are also sent to cachers that log "Attended" before the Announcement log is posted.  Not sure I have any examples to test that hypothesis though.  I know that I get Archive logs on events for which I've logged an Attended, but no Will Attend.  Of course, even if "Annoucement" logs are emailed to Attended loggers, it would only go to cachers that logged Attended before the Announcement log is posted.

How would Event CO's know who to send emails to?  If cachers don't log a Will Attend or Attended to an event, then how else would they receive an email?

I meant that GS, and not the Event Organizer, should send out the Vote Link to Attendees.

And as others have said, it should be done AFTER the event. I checked, and I did indeed get the message a few days in advance. I got a bunch of messages about the event because it was on my watchlist and I missed it in the flurry. Bad me.

I think if you're designing an awesome thing like the GIFF, you'd want to set it up so that you get the maximum participation in the vote.

How to get the message across? Put up the voting instructions IN the video at the beginning AND the end of the show!

Include the fact that they have to log "Attended" by a deadline and give the Event Owner a day to compare the logs against a sign-in sheet.

Again, GS, please ask me for a suggested workflow next year.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
Clarity
  • Funny 1
9 hours ago, noncentric said:

The GIFF event I attended had a viewer's choice voting, which was voting for 1st-3rd place among the attendees for that event only. It was done by paper ballot at the event itself.  The winners at our event were:

Did anyone else have a local vote?  I think it would be interesting to hear what the winners were at other local levels.

Interesting

Most of the attendees at our Event voted for

1 - Geocaching documentary: Winter caching in Finland (252 Punkte)
2 - I Am Geocache (204 Punkte)
3 - COMA (201 Punkte)

My favorite was "Finding our family’s lost monument through Geocaching", was fifth.

Here are results of local voting from 38 GIFF Events in Czechia and Slovakia: https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/81402249-15c7-4795-8df2-fba3bbfc0349.jpg

And particulary from my own event in Bratislava (3-2-1points):

BAII.thumb.png.4f5d0d2b9fcd3b67aa05e502de571c4f.png

And my personal vote:

1. Geocaching documentary: Winter caching in Finland

2. COMA

3. Finding our family’s lost monument through Geocaching

P.S. On Vimeo, I found this interesting film, presumably submission to GIFF 2018 which did not make it to the final 16 (The Power Trail). It would be in my Top 3 for sure.

Back to the topic - I was also surprised by strict deadline of official voting and missed it :(

It would make better sense to enable voting not sooner than on Nov 8th and let people vote until few days after Nov 12th, maybe till the end of the week.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

What an awesome video.  Can't believe that didn't make it into the final!

Watching that video made me realize, IIRC, that no finalist videos have used drone footage - yet.  I'm sure drone footage will be incorporated into more videos as time goes by though. It definitely provides a nice perspective.

Just now, noncentric said:

Watching that video made me realize, IIRC, that no finalist videos have used drone footage - yet.  I'm sure drone footage will be incorporated into more videos as time goes by though. It definitely provides a nice perspective.

Nah I've definitely seen 1, and I think more, over the years.  There was one from Portugal that seemed to be almost entirely flashy drone shots with very little in the way of storyline (not putting it down - the drone shots were really nice)

I did get my vote in, but it was an extremely short window - I saw the films on Sunday evening and logged my vote the next day.  And I got the link from one of the announcement emails about the event, received because I logged a Will Attend.  My first GIFF event, and I wasn't sure how to vote, till I saw the email and announcement, after others pointed the way.

We didn't do a local vote, though my personal favorites (and those that generated the most discussion in our group) seem to line up with others that have stated favorites here:

1. Finding our family’s lost monument through Geocaching

2. Geocaching documentary: Winter caching in Finland

3. COMA

11 hours ago, noncentric said:

I believe the film "One Day" from Czechia (from Team URNA) used drone footage to show the power trail team making a stop.

Our event's favorites were: 1) Winter caching in Finland, 2) I am Geocache, and 3) The Night I Became a Were-Cacher

My event was almost a disaster this year.  I rented a theater and a friend burned the film reel on a disc to play through the projection system.  Right when we got to "Geocaching is Awesome" the disc stopped working!  It took 30 minutes of trying to fix the situation, including using another player, and finally running home, throwing the digital reel on a thumb drive, which we didn't even know the theater supported, that we finally got going again.  And the attendees were completely awesome, taking everything in stride, socializing and geochatting.  I event got a comment saying the event "needs maintenance". :D

• Funny 1
3 hours ago, nutlady said:

ANYONE? *sigh*

In 2017, there was a one-hour compilation of finalists published November 7th on Youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5zQakQstyM

In 2016, that year's video was published on November 17th:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R94U-J4yUM

So you may have to wait.

I'm not super excited about the "finalist" videos.  HQ has already thrown out a mass of videos, likely several that I would enjoy. Their judgement is very different from mine. Yet I'd probably hate slogging through hundreds of sub-par videos. I guess I'm just a party pooper. The winner is usually OK, but finding that one video someplace, or knowing when to look for it, yeah, I think we get it on TBPT's schedule. While researching your question, I found over a dozen "GIFF 2018" related videos, several of them submissions (maybe, hard to tell with all of them), maybe even one or two finalists.  Hit-and-miss, it's a grab bag of just stuff.

Edited by kunarion
22 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Nah I've definitely seen 1, and I think more, over the years.  There was one from Portugal that seemed to be almost entirely flashy drone shots with very little in the way of storyline (not putting it down - the drone shots were really nice)

I thought it was a drone shot in this finalist video in 2016: https://youtu.be/7R94U-J4yUM?t=7m45s

GIFFUntitled-1.jpg

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, noncentric said:

It seems my memory is not so good after all.  I guess the drone footage of the 2018 Power Trail video was just more impactful to me.  Maybe because there was so much more of it in that one video, or the scenery that it filmed.  In any case, using drones for filming is pretty cool.

Yeah it was certainly well done, quite cinematic.  Especially the shot where he is walking across what appears to be a massive featureless plain.

19 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

I was a big fan of that lone forest tree... loved that shot.

That tree is jaw dropping, not only because it is so unique - as it towers above all the other trees around - but as well as for timing of the shot in the right moment of sunset.

I don't believe they were just lucky to be there at the right time, I think it should have been carefully planned.

47 minutes ago, CheshireCrab said:

Is there word on when the voting results are announced? I'm curious on who the winner is

I believe this year there will be two winners.  The Signal Award winner, determined by the  community volunteers, and the official fan favorite winner, determined by the online vote that attendees could participate in.  I'm curious who the winners are too.  I have a guess for each of them but they're just guesses.