Release Notes (Geocaching® app: navigation) - November 13, 2018

Release Notes (Geocaching® app: navigation) - November 13, 2018

With this week’s Geocaching® app update, we introduce a new navigation to make it easier to navigate to geocaches and find the information you need.

The new navigation is based on more than six months of research into how cachers used the Geocaching® app. We learned there were some things we could do to make it easier to navigate to caches and succeed at ground zero.

New navigation mode. The navigation map now orients based on the direction you are facing. As you turn, the map will, too, so you can easily identify which direction the cache is. Plus, your distance from the geocache is now more accessible at the top of the navigation screen.

SJF73dMo9ibBBLh7GF171p1RCDyynvR6BA0iB1A0

If you prefer “north up” mode, visit your settings and select “Keep map north up.”

New cache preview. The information you’re most likely to need is all included in the cache summary tray. Here you’ll find the number of Favorite points, distance from you, difficulty, terrain, and cache size.

R2RfiQ8NpsFS36jC3jgu2R6-6ahZVB8ckJIBMzgd

New cache details header. When you open cache details you’ll see the geocache pin on the map, geocache name, cache type, and two buttons: “Navigate” which switches you into navigation mode, and “Log” so you can start a draft or log your experience.

Gy-WgC4TLwa3dS5dY1SkO1dj9Xtq1y2sBzP33Yr-

Other updates. When navigating to a geocache or while in north up mode, if you manually pan, zoom, or rotate the map, your location arrow will indicate the direction you are facing. If you want to return to the navigation mode, just tap the “Center on me” button to resume. 

We have also changed the ‘close to geocache’ notification to a subtle vibration when you are within 32 feet (10 meters) of the geocache. Visit your Settings to select this option.

d1u4Clh29_EuDfMdUKCwUn1zewBeNRGBqmelGdBg

In the coming days, you’ll see an upgrade available to your Geocaching® app in the Apple App store or Google Play store. If you are having a hard time finding something that moved, please visit this Help Center article.

Ben H. from HQ’s Mobile team is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Unrelated comments may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, Geocaching HQ said:

The information you’re most likely to need is all included in the cache summary tray. Here you’ll find the number of Favorite points, distance from you, difficulty, terrain, and cache size.

I'm curious as to why the number of FPs is something you're likely to need while navigating to a cache, but attributes are not.

• Upvote 5
14 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm curious as to why the number of FPs is something you're likely to need while navigating to a cache, but attributes are not.

I think that summary is just when you've tapped on a cache on the overview map, not when you're navigating to a specific cache. In that case, the FPs are a good piece of information to have available.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for these changes.  Especially for adding Diff, Terr, Size in the preview tray.  That's something I asked about a while back and am glad to see it's being added now.

One thing that I noticed though is the loss of the trackables indicator.  I know the trackable inventory of a cache is unreliable, because of 'bad' trackable logging and/or missing trackables, so I don't know if that is the reason the number is not included.  I don't mind that the trackable inventory has been removed from the preview tray, but it looks like it's also been removed from the cache details screen?   Is that the case, or am I just not seeing it?

Edited by noncentric
35 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

As The A-Team mentioned, FP's are not shown while navigating.  As shown in the images included in the OP, the only thing shown while navigating is distance to the destination (with a +/- metric).

The things included in the section you quoted "Favorite points, distance from you, difficulty, terrain, and cache size" are not shown while navigating.  They are shown in the cache summary tray, which is when you click on the cache icon from the overview map and before you've selected a cache to navigate towards.  I think it makes more sense if you look at the phone images in this order: 2nd, 3rd, 1st.   2nd = Cache preview tray  -->  3rd = cache details -->  1st = navigating to the cache

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, noncentric said:

As The A-Team mentioned, FP's are not shown while navigating.  As shown in the images included in the OP, the only thing shown while navigating is distance to the destination (with a +/- metric).

The things included in the section you quoted "Favorite points, distance from you, difficulty, terrain, and cache size" are not shown while navigating.  They are shown in the cache summary tray, which is when you click on the cache icon from the overview map and before you've selected a cache to navigate towards.  I think it makes more sense if you look at the phone images in this order: 2nd, 3rd, 1st.   2nd = Cache preview tray  -->  3rd = cache details -->  1st = navigating to the cache

Okay, thanks, I'd misread that bit.

On 11/13/2018 at 6:28 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

We have also changed the ‘close to geocache’ notification to a subtle vibration when you are within 32 feet (10 meters) of the geocache. Visit your Settings to select this option.

It's too subtle for me... no audible alert anymore.

Sometimes audible may be inconvenient but it would be better to have choice, especially since we could already manage the notifications through the options of the phone, there we can not anymore. It's a regression in my opinion.

Thanks

• Upvote 3

I see that trackables are no longer shown on the new preview tray nor on the cache page. Even tho the TBs are often inaccurate, listing them is still extremely helpful while searching caches as I travel. Please please restore this feature on the preview tray!!  Otherwise I have to click on every single cache and then click on the cache page and THEN click again on the trackables just to see if any might even be present. This is just not feasible. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

How do we enter Solved Coordinates with this new version?  I see I can add a waypoint, but it looks like it doesn't sync with the website the way entering "corrected coordinates" would sync.  For example, I added a waypoint for a Mystery cache in the Android app, but that cache still shows as Mystery qustion mark instead of as a puzzle piece.

Is opening the cache's webpage the only way to enter "corrected coordinates" and turn the question-mark icon into a puzzle piece?

Edited by noncentric
5 minutes ago, noncentric said:

How do we enter Solved Coordinates with this new version?  I see I can add a waypoint, but it looks like it doesn't sync with the website the way entering "corrected coordinates" would sync.  For example, I added a waypoint for a Mystery cache in the Android app, but that cache still shows as Mystery qustion mark instead of as a puzzle piece.

Is opening the cache's webpage the only way to enter "corrected coordinates" and turn the question-mark icon into a puzzle piece?

Editing the waypoint for the posted coords continues to be how solved coordinates are entered in the app. See instructions here.  

My husband's Google Pixel updated to the new version yesterday and we used it for the first time to navigate to caches; mine was (is) still on the old, "familiar" version.  We noticed that while driving, the map is slow and "jerky" to update our position - we'd pass by the location and the map would show us hundreds of feet away, then suddenly jump to a hundred feet past the cache!  Frustrating to me as navigator... "Oops, honey, you were supposed to turn left at that last intersection!"  It's sufficiently accurate while walking to a cache, but it seems sluggish while driving, and when we are in unfamiliar neighborhoods, it could be very frustrating.  We'll likely play with both side by side for a few days before I update my app.

I've mentioned in another thread, but I will reiterate here as well - bring back the audible alert option, PLEASE!  I do like the addition of the option for a vibration alert, but don't take away the audible!

• Upvote 1

I think the new navigation mode is broken on the iPhone X?

it doesn’t rotate during navigation towards a cache; I’ve tested this on an iPhone 7, and that rotates effectively.  The overall map view has the orientation capability working effectively, just navigation (the important bit) doesn’t seem to work. 

I’ve also tried deleting and reinstalling, but that had no impact on this issue. 

Anyone else seeing this?

2 minutes ago, GlennCloseButNoCigar said:

it doesn’t rotate during navigation towards a cache; I’ve tested this on an iPhone 7, and that rotates effectively.  The overall map view has the orientation capability working effectively, just navigation (the important bit) doesn’t seem to work. 

I’ve also tried deleting and reinstalling, but that had no impact on this issue. 

Anyone else seeing this?

Are you sure you don't have the "Keep map north up" option selected in the Settings of that phone?

A couple of small points:

The icon doesn't always go with the point in the direction I am traveling.  Sometimes it scoots sideways and once I looked like I was backing up toward the cache.

When I back out one screen I lose the "navigate" connection and have to initiate it again.

Otherwise, it seems ok right now.

I mean no offense when I say that this is my least favorite change that has been made to the app thus far. I was in the middle of writing a forum post when I realized that this page existed, so the following is what I had written.

After one day of use and 4 cache finds using this system, these are my thoughts:

1. We now have to open the cache page to navigate to a cache and can no longer do so from the map. Why? The only reason I can think of would be to encourage newer users to read the details before searching, but the navigate button is right at the top of the cache page, so all this really accomplishes is adding an additional step to the process for no obvious reason.

2. The directional navigation bar is gone from the map. Why? This was an immensely helpful feature with caches that used directional instructions or hints. I get that there's a built-in compass feature in the app, but I don't understand the removal of the directional bar. It wasn't as if it was an obtrusive feature. This change is the real deal-breaker for me and will likely be the main reason that I uninstall the app if I choose to do so.

3. The new arrow directional tool. I don't like it. It's not a replacement for the directional bar with individual headings and is constantly jerking around as my phone tries to calibrate my position. I know that it's possible to turn this off by moving the map or zooming in, but I don't understand why my screen is now shaking wildly by default every time I start navigating. This is especially noticeable with low gps accuracy in the forest, which happens to be where I do most of my caching.

4. Navigating to multiple caches on the map is now much more difficult. This ties into my first point, but now every time I want to switch between caches or go back to reading the cache info, I have to back out of the navigation page first. The system was PERFECT before. I could read the details then switch back to the map without this extra step. If I wanted to switch caches, I could just click one button and they would all reappear on the map without making me back out of the navigation menu and then the cache page first. 

5. I have mentioned a lot of cons, so I'll finish on a  (somewhat) positive note. Despite the removal of the navigation bar, I like the sleeker design for the cache detail bars that pop up on the map after tapping a cache icon. I also like that the GPS accuracy is prominently displayed in the navigation tool. I could care less about the distance. Honestly, it seems less prominent now that it doesn't have the black on white contrast it had before. It certainly isn't more prominent.

PS - I tried to find a way to display the navigation bar or reinstate the old (simpler) navigation system, but these settings were not available. I don't ask that you revert the entire app to its previous condition, but I would like to at least have the ability to use the old tools. I do realize that this is a rather mean post. I assure you I mean no offence to the developers. This is simply my frustration showing through and I intend only for it to be applied to the update, not to those who developed it. I had more trouble navigating to caches today than I've had in years and it put me in a somewhat bad mood. 

EDIT: North up fixed the shaky map problem, but I've discovered a new issue which is that the map types are now hidden in a settings panel at the top right rather than in their own button as they have been in the past. This hasnt changed on the regular map, just the navigation. I would think I would need to more easily switch map types while navigating rather than while idly scrolling around the map. 

Edited by TheLimeCat
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 2

I'm sorry to say this, but if I could go back to the previous version, I would.

1) Both my wife and I have found that the location doesn't change continuously while you are walking towards a cache. It now sometimes only updates after 30 or more meters. That just makes it useless while navigating around the cache :(

2) We also think it's a shame you don't see the number of TBs anymore (even though it is sometimes incorrect). It helps to quickly search for a cache to drop a TB in (especially useful when travelling abroad).

3) Map types are also an extra click away now.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Like the two previous posters had difficulty navigating to the cache. Tells me 20 feet but which direction. So this I was forced to use the compass feature which got me to where I needed to be at. To me this makes my app/phone much more like a gpsr which I'm not a big fan of.

Other than that took a bit to get used to and had a very nice day.

The new app is nice, but the one thing that needs to be fixed is that you can no longer see how many trackables are in each cache. You have to click on each cache to open it, scroll down to the trackable tab, and look to see if any are in there. It is not an easy way to see which caches have trackables in them. Can you please put back the icon that shows the number of trackables in the cache? Thank you.

If you asked me to name the TOP feature I use on the app, I would not hesitate to answer "the compass". As a waymarker, I need those coordinates at the bottom of the screen to know the exact coordinates of where I am.

I finally got the new app version uploaded today, and imagine my surprise when the very first time I tried to use it I get this message:

Screenshot_2018-11-20-19-47-42.png

36 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

If you asked me to name the TOP feature I use on the app, I would not hesitate to answer "the compass". As a waymarker, I need those coordinates at the bottom of the screen to know the exact coordinates of where I am.

I finally got the new app version uploaded today, and imagine my surprise when the very first time I tried to use it I get this message:

If I'm reading that message correctly, then it sounds like it's pointing to an issue with your device - not the app.  What type of device were you using when you got that message?

7 minutes ago, noncentric said:

If I'm reading that message correctly, then it sounds like it's pointing to an issue with your device - not the app.  What type of device were you using when you got that message?

Same one that I've had for years, and the compass was always available until this new app version.

Coolpad3320A

Android.

Edit: I've had Coolpad for years but I don't know how long I've had this 3320 model.

Edited by Max and 99
18 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Same one that I've had for years, and the compass was always available until this new app version.

It looks like your device does not have a compass sensor, so the change appears to be that the new version won't show the compass screen unless the device has a compass sensor. Before, it may have been showing the compass screen, but you still didn't have a compass sensor.

I tried this new function today. Sigh. I could do this from the old map (the distance was in small print at bottom).

Here is my take away:

1- wish could change map (terrain, satellite, etc) from navigate option.

2- every time I touched my phone things reverted to the 'center on me' option.

3- Not a fan of the 'center on me' option.

4- Compared old compass function to new navigate: when looking for traditional cache both good. when looking for a SOLVED mystery with updated cords one went to solved cords and the other to the original cords! UGH!!!! Ended up having to call CO to find out which was using correct cords.

5- Cords seem to bounce more and more with each update. Today cords would say 15 ft and then jump to 82 ft; did this multiple times.

Take away: while is seems like a 'cool new option' it did not actually improve things, but did not make them worse either only different. Not a fan, but if issues 4 and 5 are fixed  can live with change.

Before any new options are introduced, PLEASE address the bouncing cords first.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

170m just a little to the right of my shadow, got it.

You use an App to find your shadow? :lol:

Sun is nice. But even just the compass overlaid on a map, would be pretty sweet.  And use the "compass screen" space for more compass.

I like that iPhone App pointer, shown above. On Android App, it's a north-south compass needle, and on a compass you use such a pointer to find north, not necessarily your bearing. Sometimes the white end of the needle seems to be pointing at the cache. What is the white pointer supposed to tell me... how to create a distance from the cache? The Android needle is pretty terrible as a cache finder.  Who is in charge of these things?

Untitled-cc1.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

A sun indicator.

That does sound useful.

40 minutes ago, kunarion said:

But even just the compass overlaid on a map, would be pretty sweet

Absolutely. On the third-party apps that I've used, the map with an overlaid compass is the primary screen that I use for navigation.

I tried using the "direction bar" on Groundspeak's app, and it just isn't the same. The map shows me a "looking down from above" view. The direction bar makes sense only when I assume a "looking horizontally" view. They just don't work as a single multi-function tool. Even if they're on the same screen, they function as two separate tools.

This is my first time on this forum so hopefully I’ve pressed the correct button. 

Today was the first time I’ve used this updated version in the ‘field’. It was awful! The distance only up dated on the ‘information tray’ occasionally so I was thankful I was caching alongside someone else using Garmin. In frustration I would press the navigation button and it would update the distance, though when I returned to the tray it often froze again. I was often at the GZ and my distance was still showing the distance from the previous cache!

I too miss the trackable information and the ability to change maps on the navigation screen. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 11/13/2018 at 11:28 AM, Geocaching HQ said:

Have a quick question about the new navigation. I've notice that each time I'm close to GZ and get the buzz from my android phone that the navigation at this point is sluggish or stops working all together which prevents us from zeroing in.  Yesterday I went for a cache and got to GZ.  Walked away from GZ a couple of times to get a better direction but both time I didn't move on the app screen.  At one point I walk a good 100" away and it still said I was 16' away where I started and this never changed each time??? Works great for getting to GZ but once there it stops working? Working with a Samsung S9 and S7 and both do the same thing. No trees or anything to block signals. Just seems to lock up when I arrive. When this update came out I found that once at GZ, the map would just go around in circles. Now it just hangs and will not get me closer. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this issue?

Tried to find a way to copy the coordinates to paste them in Google Maps but there's no way to do this either???? Had to manually input them in to G maps to zero in on GZ. I use to be able to screen copy and paste these before but found no way to copy these from the Waypoint anymore. I like the new way to navigate but now have to figure a better way of zeroing in. Add another button to the Waypoint menu for coping this or allow the screen editor to highlight and copy from the screen. Just a thought.

Just tried a different approach to putting the coor. into Google Maps but it fails too.  Went from the app (with the "Open in browser" button at the bottom) to Chrome and down where "For online maps..." are and tapped "Google Maps". Now this use to work but for some reason the coor. has the GC  at the end of the string now.  Google spits this out saying it can't find the location???  Have to edit the line to erase the GC code from the end of the string before it will load...  More issues....

Edited by Hippiehacker
Added more issues
  • Upvote 2
On 11/17/2018 at 6:14 PM, GlennCloseButNoCigar said:

Anyone else seeing this?

I’ve fixed this now.  There was a setting on my iPhone for ‘compass calibration’ in the privacy settings that was set to off, enabling this fixed the issue. 

Not or sure why it only mattered for this version of the app and not in previous iterations, but should anyone else see this issue, this was my resolution route!

• Helpful 1
On 11/23/2018 at 4:04 PM, wagtag15 said:

I tried this new function today. Sigh. I could do this from the old map (the distance was in small print at bottom).

Here is my take away:

1- wish could change map (terrain, satellite, etc) from navigate option.

I think it's a step backwards that I can no longer change maps while navigating. Very frustrating!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 11/20/2018 at 9:43 PM, niraD said:

It looks like your device does not have a compass sensor, so the change appears to be that the new version won't show the compass screen unless the device has a compass sensor. Before, it may have been showing the compass screen, but you still didn't have a compass sensor.

I think Max and 99 mention in their post that they previously used the coordinates at the bottom of the Navigation screen - your current lat/long and the lat long of the cache. Now these are no longer available to them because they are locked out of the screen, when previously they weren't. Not having a compass sensor isn't the issue.

My phone doesn't have a compass, and I also used the coordinates on this screen - especially when hiding a cache, as a check against my GPSr. Now I can't. There is no other place in the app where either of these coordinates sets are shown, as far as I can tell.

I would rather have access to this partially working screen than be prevented from using it entirely. This should be fixed.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, LaffinGravy said:

I think Max and 99 mention in their post that they previously used the coordinates at the bottom of the Navigation screen - your current lat/long and the lat long of the cache. Now these are no longer available to them because they are locked out of the screen, when previously they weren't. Not having a compass sensor isn't the issue.

My phone doesn't have a compass, and I also used the coordinates on this screen - especially when hiding a cache, as a check against my GPSr. Now I can't. There is no other place in the app where either of these coordinates sets are shown, as far as I can tell.

I would rather have access to this partially working screen than be prevented from using it entirely. This should be fixed.

I'll be your bestest friend forever and ever if you manage to get this issue fixed for me!  :D

On 11/13/2018 at 6:28 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

PLEASE get the audible alert back in the application !

You could let the choice to the users to have audible alert, or vibration, or nothing...

When you are on a bicycle, the vibration is not sufficient, so you have to look to the screen very often which is not handy and even may be dangerous...

Thanks

Edited by bebs
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1

I am *NOT* a fan of the new map version.  It adds extra unnecessary steps to the process, and one of my most commonly-used features is now gone:  When I used the old map, I liked the button in the top right corner where I could change the map from non-rotating to rotating whenever I wanted, including (and most especially) when I zoomed in on the cache indicator even when the "me" indicator was off-screen.  Now, with the new map, if I touch the screen to zoom-in on the cache indicator and then want the map to start rotating again, the only option is the "Center on me" button.  But I DON'T WANT the map to center on me!  I want it to REMAIN CENTERED on the cache icon, but still be able to rotate according to direction.

Ever hear of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

Please give us the option to revert back to the old map version if we choose to do so.

• Upvote 2
On 11/15/2018 at 2:33 PM, bebs said:

It's too subtle for me... no audible alert anymore.

Sometimes audible may be inconvenient but it would be better to have choice, especially since we could already manage the notifications through the options of the phone, there we can not anymore. It's a regression in my opinion.

Thanks

I totally agree. I would rather have the option for an audible sound or vibration. I prefer the audible myself. 

• Upvote 1