newcomer needs connecting cable

snowdrop5

Hi I am a newcomer to our sport and I have purchased a Garmin Etrex on Ebay. It is an old model and unfortunately it came without the cable to connect to my laptop. I have searched the internet for a suitable cable, without success. So I am appealing to the community to see if anyone out there has an old cable that they would be willing to sell to me. The cable I need has a USB end to connect to the laptop and the other e454836835_IMG_20181113_15451527696.jpg.ae983d7e0f2bcd468f9ef71db5e24cda.jpg is as the attached photo.

21 minutes ago, snowdrop5 said:

Hi I am a newcomer to our sport and I have purchased a Garmin Etrex on Ebay. It is an old model and unfortunately it came without the cable to connect to my laptop.

It might be this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Tinpec-Seriels-Golflogix-Receivers-golflogix/dp/B0177DDUPY

Seems to require the installation of special device drivers, and "is supplied Adaptive drivers on mini CD".  The first review mentions where to find drivers and set them up.

Here's a video of a similar item: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNVjcFAY3Hs

Edited by kunarion
On 11/19/2018 at 2:52 PM, Kalkendotters said:

Be aware that it is a very old model Etrex. Your use of the cable will be limited to uploading waypoints only. (and very small portions of a map)

It has no Geocaching mode. (The cable is a USB to serial adapter with a special plug for the Etrex)

not true. I've used gsak, mapsource, even EasyGPS with the yellow classic, but as has been said, it requires connection though a USB to RS-232c adaptor.

the classic's only drawback, was not being able to load maps to it.  Even the Venture model (opaque blue) had the same connection (TTL level RS-232)

all three programs were capable of waypoint dowload as well as upload.   glad user was able to fing the suitable cable